Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 19-03-20, 02:08 PM
Resident Newb

Wondering if anyone has the answer to this, So I have Facebook purely to chat with my family in 4 different countries, Nothing else, I don't comment on anything and have nothing liked.

So, My brother sent me a video from some comedy page, I clicked "save to facebook" under the little drop down menu, Went to watch it today, Clicked on the title expecting it to open up the video but instead it downloaded to my computer, Which has me wondering, Isn't downloading videos, Even if they are 10 seconds long, A little bit frowned upon by Faceboook ? Again, I didn't use any software, I just clicked on the title on Facebook under Facebooks "Saved" section and it downloaded straight to my desktop on its own.

Anyone know anything about this ? Seems a little odd that Facebook would be against downloads when saved videos default to being downloaded.

Old 19-03-20, 03:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Wondering if anyone has the answer to this, So I have Facebook purely to chat with my family in 4 different countries, Nothing else, I don't comment on anything and have nothing liked.

So, My brother sent me a video from some comedy page, I clicked "save to facebook" under the little drop down menu, Went to watch it today, Clicked on the title expecting it to open up the video but instead it downloaded to my computer, Which has me wondering, Isn't downloading videos, Even if they are 10 seconds long, A little bit frowned upon by Faceboook ? Again, I didn't use any software, I just clicked on the title on Facebook under Facebooks "Saved" section and it downloaded straight to my desktop on its own.

Anyone know anything about this ? Seems a little odd that Facebook would be against downloads when saved videos default to being downloaded.
Sure thats not your browser doing that based on some previously saved settings? My saved videos dont download thats for sure
Old 19-03-20, 04:17 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Sure thats not your browser doing that based on some previously saved settings? My saved videos dont download thats for sure
On Firefox it doesn't give me the option, Just auto saves it to the desktop upon clicking on it in Facebooks "Saved" category but if I do the same thing on the Edge browser, Which has no plugins etc... it gives me an option, Open it or save it to desktop, Just thought it was weird considering Facebooks view on downloading videos from their site when their own site offers the local saving of videos.

It's my paranoia kicking in, Just don't want a brown letter from Facebook saying -

"You auto downloaded a meme video, Pay us £100,000 !"

Old 20-03-20, 07:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
On Firefox it doesn't give me the option, Just auto saves it to the desktop upon clicking on it in Facebooks "Saved" category but if I do the same thing on the Edge browser, Which has no plugins etc... it gives me an option, Open it or save it to desktop, Just thought it was weird considering Facebooks view on downloading videos from their site when their own site offers the local saving of videos.

It's my paranoia kicking in, Just don't want a brown letter from Facebook saying -

"You auto downloaded a meme video, Pay us £100,000 !"
Dont be the prince of paranoia dice. Don't be "that" guy
Old 20-03-20, 01:36 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Dont be the prince of paranoia dice. Don't be "that" guy

I bought more tinfoil incase my current tin foil breaks !!!

Old 20-03-20, 03:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I bought more tinfoil incase my current tin foil breaks !!!

Wonders where all the tinfoil went, couldn't find any in the shops, oh dang it Dice has them all!
Old 20-03-20, 04:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Our grocery stores got run bare, so there's plenty of overtime work for shelf stockers! Heck they even bought up all the powdered coffee whitener, of all things. I guess plenty of people like me need that stuff since we won't be getting coffee on the way to work anymore, since we're all working from home.

Old 21-03-20, 07:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Our grocery stores got run bare, so there's plenty of overtime work for shelf stockers! Heck they even bought up all the powdered coffee whitener, of all things. I guess plenty of people like me need that stuff since we won't be getting coffee on the way to work anymore, since we're all working from home.

It's getting stupid all this emptying shops.

We have to take my grandad out to the shop's just so he can get food etc, because even though our local Morrisons knows we do his shopping for him they won't let us do his shopping and our shopping at the same time, and because of the stupid parking rules and possible fines, we cannot go back to do his or ours later.

Now he is diabetic, has a weakend immune system because of medication for conditions that he suffers from and has survived cancer but we have got to put him at risk because of idiots panic buying.

Thankfully he always use to keep a stock of things in his house, so he usually buys 6 rolls of toilet paper, every 3 days because he has to take the same tablet that I have to and he also suffers the same side effect so he needs a lot of toilet paper.

The one other thing that is really annoying me, is the price hikes on almost everything online.

I have to take a certain tablet that can cause diarrhea as a side effect and I off course get that side effect and another one.

Now because I also suffer with a skin condition in 1 area of my body which is really annoying, it means I cannot use toilet paper, I have to use baby wipes.

Normally it's not an issue I order a box off Amazon for £33 and it will last anything from 1 month to 2 months.

I have had to give some of them to my brother for his new born because he hasn't been able to buy any in the shops, and I am now close to running out which will not be nice for me if I do run out.

I looked on Amazon last night and low and behold because of what is going in the world the seller on Amazon has put the price up to £39 per box.

There are other things that I need because I also suffer from Folliculitis which I have tried all sorts of stuff for, and my doctor has now basically said I am just susceptible to it and will suffer from it and it may just stop on it's own, or I may suffer with it for the rest of my life.

I need certain things because of it and everything has increased in price, 1 cream has gone from £7 a tube to £12 a tube, another has gone from £10 per tub to almost £20 a tub, and the deodorant that I have to use because it doesn't cause a skin reaction is a roll on, I cannot use sprays but that has gone from £2.55 per bottle to almost £5 per bottle.

I can understand a small increase in price but some of the price hikes I have been seeing over the last 2 weeks are a joke, I mean in America shops have apparently been getting fined many thousands of dollars for price gouging, I wish that would happen over here because it's getting silly now.

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Old 21-03-20, 03:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Your browser needs to download the video anyway, even when embedded to the site. Granted, most modern browsers use DASH, but plain mp4 streaming is pretty common too. And your browser's likely downloading the video using its own user agent, so it wouldn't look anything out of the ordinary, even if they were looking for people who download videos, which they aren't.

I am not sure about UK laws, but here you're allowed to save any streamable video for your own use. Much like VHS taping.
Old 22-03-20, 04:28 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't want to cause any concern or anything like that, but thought it was in the best interests to bring up a possible new aspect in the coronavirus issues that may affect some of us, recent research seems to imply that smoking and vaping is linked to increased susceptibility of more severe symptoms, there's a lot of research from different sources going around with wildly different figures but there does seem to be at least some reasonable correlation, personally as I've had pneumonia before that's enough to tip me over to quitting.

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk