Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 17-03-17, 03:35 PM

New AMD build advice / questions

Hi

Ok, so... I already have my case (Jonsbo umx4) psu (evga 650w G2) 750gb Ssd, 2 x 500gb Hdd, and I'm looking to build an AMD based "jack of all trades" home pc.
Uses are going to be Family PC / HTPC / Home server / Gaming (mid level, nothing to expert, but would like to play most AAA games) / VR HTC Vive. I have to decide on the following:
CPU - probably Ryzen 7 1700 although I will wait for Ryzen 5
M/Board - probably CH6 or Prime
Ram - recommended 3000mhz
GPU - undecided.
is it possible to have a multi monitor set up, in the following config:
Main TV connected via hdmi to GPU then connect a monitor via display port then connect the VIVE to a display port via an adapter?
Then is it possible to output say a movie to the TV and then output a game to the monitor simultaneously?
Is is possible to output the correct audio to each screen simultaneously?
I'm sure I watched a review of a motherboard which could output different audio sources to different outputs, I might have dreamt this though.
If all this is possible would the 1700 cope with the workload and which GPU would you recommend?
Appreciate any thoughts, advice and recommendations

Old 19-03-17, 11:39 PM
OC3D Elite

I can't answer the monitor or audio question as they go beyond my experience. I use external audio and have never bothered with multiple monitors.

I'd suggest waiting for Ryzen 5. It won't bring greater gaming performance but it will be cheaper. Disabling two cores and four threads in Ryzen 7 actually reduces frame rates slightly so unless clock speeds are dramatically improved with Ryzen 5 it will be the AMD gaming chip to go for simply because it is cheaper than the R7 range and not because it is more suited for it. Either way don't bother with the 1700X or 1800X. The 1700 will handle almost any load. Its only drawback is its 1080p high refresh rate performance. It is sadly limited in that area, at least currently.

For GPU's I'd suggest waiting until May when Vega is at least fully announced and we have a strong idea of its performance and most importantly its price. Then buy the GPU that fits your budget and needs. If you play a lot of games like GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, The Witcher 3 then go Nvidia. If you play games like Deus Ex, Hitman, COD, then go AMD. If you play BF1, Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege then it really doesn't matter. Come May we should have a very clear path of the following year. Pascal might be refreshed at some point, but we have very little information on that at the moment so don't bank on it. To me the 1080 and 1060 have already been refreshed, but I could be wrong.

Be mindful that 3000Mhz may not be possible even if it's suggested as compliant by AMD, ASUS, or the RAM manufacturers. There are just too many variables at the moment. I won't be buying Ryzen until these aspects are ironed out at least partially. You can always buy 3000Mhz Ryzen-compliant memory and downclock until you find stability, if you need to.
Old 20-03-17, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the advice, Defo going to wait for Ryzen 5, I've waited 5 month for Ryzen 7 so another few weeks ain't going kill me. ATM 1700 is top of the list and I quite like the cooler, I've seen one review of it by Kyle at bitwit and it seems to perform pretty well for a stock.

It would be cool to find out about the monitor and audio question as it's my aim to stream a movie for the kids so I can have a gaming session in peace, lol.

I have budgeted for a 1070 GPU, but AMD's 580 refresh might be an option? vega might be too far away tbh
Old 20-03-17, 07:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Plex might be a reasonable option if you have a smart TV. Would allow you to stream the film and the correct audio without added faff.

For physical connection (HDMI),; know in VLC you can specify an output device for the audio track, which can be different to your primary output, but not sure how well it works since I've not tried doing it like that.
When the missus wants to watch something my movies folder is shared on home network and played through a Raspberry Pi/Kodi box on the TV in the other room.
Old 20-03-17, 09:08 PM

Yeh, I'll probably use plex to access stored movies. I have a android tv box now which is old and tired, I wanted rid of this and to run Kodi from the pc. I had heard VLC was capable of this but
The Crosshair x370 has this feature - would this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	11786  
Old 21-03-17, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I can't answer the monitor or audio question as they go beyond my experience. I use external audio and have never bothered with multiple monitors.

I'd suggest waiting for Ryzen 5. It won't bring greater gaming performance but it will be cheaper. Disabling two cores and four threads in Ryzen 7 actually reduces frame rates slightly so unless clock speeds are dramatically improved with Ryzen 5 it will be the AMD gaming chip to go for simply because it is cheaper than the R7 range and not because it is more suited for it. Either way don't bother with the 1700X or 1800X. The 1700 will handle almost any load. Its only drawback is its 1080p high refresh rate performance. It is sadly limited in that area, at least currently.

For GPU's I'd suggest waiting until May when Vega is at least fully announced and we have a strong idea of its performance and most importantly its price. Then buy the GPU that fits your budget and needs. If you play a lot of games like GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, The Witcher 3 then go Nvidia. If you play games like Deus Ex, Hitman, COD, then go AMD. If you play BF1, Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege then it really doesn't matter. Come May we should have a very clear path of the following year. Pascal might be refreshed at some point, but we have very little information on that at the moment so don't bank on it. To me the 1080 and 1060 have already been refreshed, but I could be wrong.

Be mindful that 3000Mhz may not be possible even if it's suggested as compliant by AMD, ASUS, or the RAM manufacturers. There are just too many variables at the moment. I won't be buying Ryzen until these aspects are ironed out at least partially. You can always buy 3000Mhz Ryzen-compliant memory and downclock until you find stability, if you need to.
If we are talking 1060 vs 480 etc then in games like witcher etc they are neck and neck. AMD or nvidia isnt better. If we are taking 1070 vs 480 and he has the budget for it then the 1070 is the option.

Wait for the 580 to come out. See what performance is like then make the decision.
Old 21-03-17, 01:39 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky685 View Post
Yeh, I'll probably use plex to access stored movies. I have a android tv box now which is old and tired, I wanted rid of this and to run Kodi from the pc. I had heard VLC was capable of this but
The Crosshair x370 has this feature - would this work?
Looking at the attached screenshot it appears you can choose which audio device you want to use for specific programs, so I would assume "yes".

However, Kodi also already allows you to specify which audio device you want to use.
Old 21-03-17, 02:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded2 View Post
If we are talking 1060 vs 480 etc then in games like witcher etc they are neck and neck. AMD or nvidia isnt better. If we are taking 1070 vs 480 and he has the budget for it then the 1070 is the option.

Wait for the 580 to come out. See what performance is like then make the decision.
Neck and neck is not exactly true.

1060 clearly wins:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,26.html

1060 wins:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Armor/25.html

1060 wins (however this is an early review with older drivers):
http://techreport.com/review/30812/n...rd-reviewed/13

1060 comes close to a Fury X at 1080p:
http://hardwareoverclock.com/MSI-GeF...ING-X-3G-6.htm

1060 wins:
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...t.html?start=9

These were the first reviews I found that tested The Witcher 3. They are not cherrypicked. Maybe drivers have matured so that the RX 480 is indeed neck and neck with the 1060, but from what I've seen the 1060 is the winner in TW3.
Old 21-03-17, 03:45 PM
AMD Enthusiast

You're nitpicking on what neck and neck is...
It's literally just a few frame difference. You are not going to notice. Especially since you are testing new 1060s on newer driver's, yet the 480s on there aren't being retested. Neck and neck seems appropriate, especially over the average of many games.
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 21-03-17, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You're nitpicking on what neck and neck is...
It's literally just a few frame difference. You are not going to notice. Especially since you are testing new 1060s on newer driver's, yet the 480s on there aren't being retested. Neck and neck seems appropriate, especially over the average of many games.
Nitpicking is all that you have when there is so little in it. That's my point. If a GPU is 'neck and neck' yet there is still a definitive winner, even if it's only by a small amount why choose the slower card if that's the game you play? Why choose an RX 480 over a GTX 1060 if you play GTA V a lot? There isn't much to differentiate the two GPU's. They're both pretty much as good as each other. But in GTA V Nvidia takes the lead. That's undeniable.

As for The Witcher 3, you are right. I forgot to take into account that reviewers don't retest their RX 480's for their 1060 reviews. I just looked up two more recent RX 480 reviews and in The Witcher 3 the difference is within margin of error. In fact, the 480 was a weensy bit ahead. Those were the first two I looked at. If you play The Witcher 3 then an RX 480 is equally as appropriate as the 1060.

http://hardwareoverclock.com/Sapphir...0-4G-D5-5a.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...x480_gtr/6.htm