Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 18-12-13, 07:55 PM

as i said in the first post of this thread some people just won't listen

Old 18-12-13, 08:21 PM
The Guvnor

Any rig I use for audio I use a proper sound card and speakers

some people cant hear the difference between a set of speakers or head phones - I can

I can hear difference between the encode quality of an MP3 ffs

I dont even want to watch this video but I think its probably just some one that hasnt got an ear for quality

The difference between on board crap basic audio and a souncard like a decent Xonar with both of them in decent speakers is without a doubt night and day difference to me.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 18-12-13, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

My headphones have a 300 ohm impedance, so I can't objectively test whether the definite increase in sound quality I've noticed is solely down to them, or whether the sound card has made a difference, as I can barely hear the on-board through them.

It's a bit late to test an external unit now, unless anyone wants to send me one .
Old 18-12-13, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

some people cant hear the difference between a set of speakers or head phones - I can

I dont even want to watch this video but I think its probably just some one that hasnt got an ear for quality

The difference between on board crap basic audio and a souncard like a decent Xonar with both of them in decent speakers is without a doubt night and day difference to me.
It's not about that on board is better then a soundcard it's about: an externale solution beeing better then internale one (ask asus for an asus essence one (one of my favorites) and test it yourself)
Old 18-12-13, 08:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Honestly, I don't even bother with soundcards. Most of the time I listen to EDM over speakers, or Black Metal / Death Metal / Metal Core over my earplugs. I do have a pair of sennheiser headphones around, but its physiologically impossible for me to wear headphones for more than 30 minutes without intense pain in my ears. (Not the noise, but the pressure). I have tried all kinds of headphones, some with RIDICULOUSLY huge earcups, some with small earcups and so on, its always a no-go. So even if I could hear a difference, I can't use any input device thats capable of delivering this difference.

On the plus side: I can't make out the difference between MP3 128kbit/s and FLAC.
4.14.13-1-ARCH
Old 18-12-13, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Weasel View Post
It's not about that on board is better then a soundcard it's about: an externale solution beeing better then internale one (ask asus for an asus essence one (one of my favorites) and test it yourself)
That doesn't seem entirely fair as a test, seeing as their best soundcard is what, a third of the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rrial View Post
Honestly, I don't even bother with soundcards. Most of the time I listen to EDM over speakers, or Black Metal / Death Metal / Metal Core over my earplugs. I do have a pair of sennheiser headphones around, but its physiologically impossible for me to wear headphones for more than 30 minutes without intense pain in my ears. (Not the noise, but the pressure). I have tried all kinds of headphones, some with RIDICULOUSLY huge earcups, some with small earcups and so on, its always a no-go. So even if I could hear a difference, I can't use any input device thats capable of delivering this difference.

On the plus side: I can't make out the difference between MP3 128kbit/s and FLAC.
Your hearing has been permanently damaged by the harsh manly metal!

I had the same problem with headphones, as I had an operation on my ears 2 years ago and now they ache whenever something puts pressure on them. Part of the reason I chose sennheiser hd650s was that the ear cups don't even touch my ears.
Old 18-12-13, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG! View Post
That doesn't seem entirely fair as a test, seeing as their best soundcard is what, a third of the price?
Thats true but i suggested that one because it's easier for tom to ask for a lowner from asus then from a audio company that has never heard of TTL and OC3D
Old 18-12-13, 10:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
This.
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 18-12-13, 11:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

I have to agree with Tom on this , I could definitely tell a difference between on board sound and my STX , both with speakers and headphones.
The STX has a much clearer and cleaner sound.
I can't reply on the external DAC because I've never owned one.
Something they didn't even talk about on this video was the quality of the recording they listened to to compare.
If it's a crap recording , it's going to sound like crap no matter what you listen to it on.
They also didn't say anything about speakers , just headphones.
I don't really care for Logan on Tek Syndicate , he seems like the kind of guy that could be paid to say whatever someone tells him to.
Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 19-12-13, 12:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3Max View Post
I have to agree with Tom on this , I could definitely tell a difference between on board sound and my STX , both with speakers and headphones.
The STX has a much clearer and cleaner sound.
I can't reply on the external DAC because I've never owned one.
Something they didn't even talk about on this video was the quality of the recording they listened to to compare.
If it's a crap recording , it's going to sound like crap no matter what you listen to it on.
They also didn't say anything about speakers , just headphones.
I don't really care for Logan on Tek Syndicate , he seems like the kind of guy that could be paid to say whatever someone tells him to.
Agreed!

The difference between my xonar Xense and onboard is pretty huge, combine that with a proper amp and a set of KRK studio speakers, yeah onboard would suck so hard for that.