Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 02-09-13, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Red or Green? & Question about Intel internal raid

I currently have a Samsung 830 128GB, 1TB Samsung F3 and a 80GB Maxtor(old.found on a old comp)

Red or Green?
In the near future i will be upgrading my internal storage setup. I will want to run a Raid 1 config from the Intel chipset using a 2TB either WD Red or Green for storage and probably a 2TB WD Black for everything else.

Just short and straight to the point questions:
-Which one out of the two will be better in an internal raid config?
---What's the benefit of a Red vs a Green in a raid config?
-Sound. Which of the two would be quieter in idle state?
-Speed. Which of the two is faster at writing?

Intel Internal Raid
From a video i watched from Linus, i will have to change the SATA setup from AHCI to RAID. Obviously this is needed to enable internal raid however will my SSD experience a disadvantage due to it not running in AHCI?

Xonar STX | ASUS PG279Q | ASUS PB278Q
| Custom Loop |
EK-Supremacy | XSPC Titan w/ Backplate | Alphacool UT 360 & 240 | Phobya Balancer 150 | D5 w/ XSPC Top
Old 02-09-13, 07:17 PM

Just out of interest why do you want to run RAID 1?
Old 02-09-13, 07:18 PM
The Guvnor

If its just storage Id use the greens. Because speed wont matter.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 08-09-13, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
If its just storage Id use the greens. Because speed wont matter.
Thanks Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
Just out of interest why do you want to run RAID 1?
I have alot of family photos that needs to be kept very safe and i figure that the extra reliability that RAID 1 gives would be the best solution without spending more on other hardware like a dedicated RAID Card.

So now, ill be more or less going to go with a pair of greens.
But ive still got that question that needs answering. Will turning my SATA config from AHCI to RAID mode affect my SSD in anyway - for example will TRIM stop working or will my SSD experience something that will quickly decrease its life span than when in AHCI mode? I currently have a Samsung 830 128GB.
Also just a weird question, can i mount a HDD upside down?
| Custom Loop |
EK-Supremacy | XSPC Titan w/ Backplate | Alphacool UT 360 & 240 | Phobya Balancer 150 | D5 w/ XSPC Top
Old 08-09-13, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenaudrey View Post
Thanks Tom!
I have alot of family photos that needs to be kept very safe and i figure that the extra reliability that RAID 1 gives would be the best solution without spending more on other hardware like a dedicated RAID Card.
Sounds to me like you want to use RAID as a backup. This isn't correct.
RAID does not equal backup.

Something happens to a file on one of the drives, it's going to happen to the file on the other drive. A backup solution using something like Acronis True Image and some backup disks would be much more suitable in this circumstance.
Old 08-09-13, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like you want to use RAID as a backup. This isn't correct.
RAID does not equal backup.

Something happens to a file on one of the drives, it's going to happen to the file on the other drive. A backup solution using something like Acronis True Image and some backup disks would be much more suitable in this circumstance.
So you're saying that if for example an image corrupts for some reason that was due to the drive and not a human cause/error, it would happen to the other drive?
| Custom Loop |
Old 08-09-13, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenaudrey View Post
So you're saying that if for example an image corrupts for some reason that was due to the drive and not a human cause/error, it would happen to the other drive?
All RAID 1 protects you from is downtime due to a hardware failure.

If the drive physically breaks then no, if some software corrupted the image then yes it would simply copy the exact same corrupted data onto the other drive.
Old 08-09-13, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All RAID 1 protects you from is downtime due to a hardware failure.

If the drive physically breaks then no, if some software corrupted the image then yes it would simply copy the exact same corrupted data onto the other drive.
Ahhh! I thought RAID could be used as a form of backing up stuff too haha
May i just say that im not really familiar with those application backups. The only backup that i know is to copy and paste manually a certain time every couple of weeks or so.

But to close this thread off, ill come off the RAID idea and just ask, for backup should i still get 2x2TB Greens and stick it internally or just buy a completely external solution but two of them?
Also, manual backing up(copy and paste every couple of weeks) is good enough or should i invest in a program or something?
| Custom Loop |
Old 08-09-13, 04:28 PM

I use Acronis True Image costs next to nothing.

You can set it to non-stop backup, scheduled backup or a one off backup. You can also backup your OS drive and have the launcher run at boot so that if you windows install does get corrupted you can re-install the backed up image.

When it comes to drive selection, I think if it's a non-stop back up (which you won't need to use for pictures) then an internal drive is better to use but for a scheduled backup/one off an internal or external solution would be fine. An external drive is definitely more accessible as you can use it with more devices etc.
Old 08-09-13, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use Acronis True Image costs next to nothing.

You can set it to non-stop backup, scheduled backup or a one off backup. You can also backup your OS drive and have the launcher run at boot so that if you windows install does get corrupted you can re-install the backed up image.

When it comes to drive selection, I think if it's a non-stop back up (which you won't need to use for pictures) then an internal drive is better to use but for a scheduled backup/one off an internal or external solution would be fine. An external drive is definitely more accessible as you can use it with more devices etc.
Alright thanks, ill look into it. RAID isnt for me at all then haha
| Custom Loop |