Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 14-07-18, 10:40 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,615
I've tried quite a few closed back cans around the $3-500 mark and none were anywhere near as good for sound stage as open back. The only pair of closed back I have ever had where I would consider them to be almost as good as my Grado RS2E for that is my T5P and those are a thousand dollars.

If you are really super picky about your sound then the best pair of cans I have heard for detail in that price range are my RS2E, though note you will sacrifice deep down grunt. But for classical music or anything where you really want the detail they are the best I've had.

However one thing I will say? I could easily live without all of the other headphones I own now, apart from my RS2E and T5P. So like with computers? spend as much as you can. Get as high up the chain as you can, instead of making stops on the way there.

__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14-07-18, 04:21 PM
FireCharge FireCharge is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I've tried quite a few closed back cans around the $3-500 mark and none were anywhere near as good for sound stage as open back. The only pair of closed back I have ever had where I would consider them to be almost as good as my Grado RS2E for that is my T5P and those are a thousand dollars.

If you are really super picky about your sound then the best pair of cans I have heard for detail in that price range are my RS2E, though note you will sacrifice deep down grunt. But for classical music or anything where you really want the detail they are the best I've had.

However one thing I will say? I could easily live without all of the other headphones I own now, apart from my RS2E and T5P. So like with computers? spend as much as you can. Get as high up the chain as you can, instead of making stops on the way there.
There's a big difference between audiophile gear and computers.
Unlike PCs which you can customize along the way and upgrade as you like, audiophile gear is pretty much do or die - If I didn't like the e10k or the current cans I own, I'd have to go ahead and resell them for a loss and then pay more for a different product.

Also, I do believe that going slowly in several tiers trains your ears much more than just getting a pair of 1500$ Audezes after you've used the stock earphones you got with your smartphone.

I remember the first pair of audio gear that got me into it was my first "real" IEMs, the Vsonic VSD3S.
Used to use cheapo 2$ ebay earphones or box earbuds for audio OTG since I was born until I turned 17 and got my first IEMs after a friend recommended them. Difference was INSANE, and I going back to the cheapo stuff when my Vsonics' cable went bad was awful.
Later on I got the HD598s and that was another step, then the DAC helped me improve further, and frankly going through with using different headphones and earphones I can say that it FEELS like I trained myself to notice more details.
For example, small details I couldn't hear via the VSD3S or even my car speakers for example are stuff that I can hear much more clearly nowadays.

Something that I didn't say but should - I was researching the Ebony TH-X00 when I saw the most recent drop (the new detachable cable version) and saw a lot of people complaining about the lack of difference between something like the hd700 to hd800 or similar top of the line audiophile devices compared to price points.
This is mostly why I decided to keep the bar at ~400-450USD for the most part. I'll just get another tier up with the audiophile gear, next step would be separate DAC and amp, something that could probably be able to power more expensive cans and also improve the quality of the current ones up to the upgrade point.
But until then, seeing as I'm not a music producer or spend hours each day just sitting there listening to music, tiers it is.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14-07-18, 04:29 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
Resident Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BlondesVille
Posts: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCharge View Post
Also, I do believe that going slowly in several tiers trains your ears much more than just getting a pair of 1500$ Audezes after you've used the stock earphones you got with your smartphone.
I've been doing this for the last couple of years, I went from low end headsets and started buying good headphones and working my way up slowly with the Beyer 770, 880, 990, 1770 and 1990 as well as Sennheiser 650 etc...

Makes you appreciate each step up IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14-07-18, 05:07 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,153
I'd just get the headphones now and upgrade the dac/amp later
__________________
The Cost of Freedom -
"A price payed gladly, in the hopes that the free, live better."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14-07-18, 05:10 PM
FireCharge FireCharge is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'd just get the headphones now and upgrade the dac/amp later
Alright, thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-07-18, 05:15 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I've been doing this for the last couple of years, I went from low end headsets and started buying good headphones and working my way up slowly with the Beyer 770, 880, 990, 1770 and 1990 as well as Sennheiser 650 etc...

Makes you appreciate each step up IMO.
But is a huge waste of money. I did the same, and wasted loads of money lol.

Ed. Let me clarify. I have the T5P and RS2E here with me now (not for long, the RS2s are going to my mother's house with my Novo amp and self built pre). Any way, when I go over to my mother's house I have a pair of Beats Studio with NC. They are OK man, really not bad. However, when I get home and put on my T5P? lol, the difference is absolutely mind blowing. Seriously, being at her house right now is almost to the point of being painful, when it comes to getting my audio fix.

Once you get a top end pair of cans you will never want to listen to anything else. And you will always know the difference, trust me on that.

I've been using an album called "A raver's diary" by "Dusty Kid". I wouldn't try buying it on CD (as it's over £50 and quite rare) but seriously? it should be called "How to demo headphones". It is the most amazing, complex, deep, ever changing music I have ever heard. Especially the track "America". It almost becomes about four tracks, it is that complex. And as soon as I get home I know my T5P. Crap, you could blindfold me and I would always know when I have my T5P on. With a top end set up you will never tire of it, nor "get used" to it. It will blow your freakin mind every single time you listen to it.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-07-18, 07:41 PM
FireCharge FireCharge is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
But is a huge waste of money. I did the same, and wasted loads of money lol.

Ed. Let me clarify. I have the T5P and RS2E here with me now (not for long, the RS2s are going to my mother's house with my Novo amp and self built pre). Any way, when I go over to my mother's house I have a pair of Beats Studio with NC. They are OK man, really not bad. However, when I get home and put on my T5P? lol, the difference is absolutely mind blowing. Seriously, being at her house right now is almost to the point of being painful, when it comes to getting my audio fix.

Once you get a top end pair of cans you will never want to listen to anything else. And you will always know the difference, trust me on that.

I've been using an album called "A raver's diary" by "Dusty Kid". I wouldn't try buying it on CD (as it's over £50 and quite rare) but seriously? it should be called "How to demo headphones". It is the most amazing, complex, deep, ever changing music I have ever heard. Especially the track "America". It almost becomes about four tracks, it is that complex. And as soon as I get home I know my T5P. Crap, you could blindfold me and I would always know when I have my T5P on. With a top end set up you will never tire of it, nor "get used" to it. It will blow your freakin mind every single time you listen to it.
I get your point, but here's mine: I'm a 21yo after military service, working my ass off to save money for uni next year (maybe a nice vacation in the waiting time) and a PC upgrade, also probably a decent laptop which I'll get in a year or so.
At the moment, I'm trying to save about 25% off of my slightly higher than minimum wage paycheck whilst still buying the stuff I WANT but couldn't get during my service because the pay was absolutely trash.
Saying that - something like the T5P or for example the HD800s that I've been drooling over for like 2 years, is something that I really need to hold off on (even though I have enough money saved up to buy them) up until I finish uni.
Also - something like that big headphone quality bump or for example a new watch (also a hobby that I started picking up on) is something that I'd like to get as a self reward for completing some task.

P.S. I really don't think paying over 33% of cost of the headphones for import fees ALONE, or the 35% custom fees which are probably gonna happen since it's a 1KUSD pair of headphones (Israeli law states that electronics up to 500$ are not subjected to custom fees, however the 17% sale tax should be added into the import fee)

Price: $993.41 + $370.16 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Israel
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14-07-18, 09:57 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 11,615
Are you headed back to the USA? or do you live in Israel like permanently?

I'd begrudge paying that tbh.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins



Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-07-18, 02:30 PM
FireCharge FireCharge is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Are you headed back to the USA? or do you live in Israel like permanently?

I'd begrudge paying that tbh.
Live in Israel permanently. Converted currency to USD because it's universal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.