Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 08-08-12, 08:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to dalewakelin
Rack Mounted Atx case.

I am thinking of making all my pcs rack mount as it would save space, but i dont know where to look for rack mount cases and i need a rack mount cabinet. I have no idea where to look as i checked the mainstream places and they where way out of my budget. (£3000 for a case?!?!) But srsly im not rich so keep budget in mind. Thanks

Old 08-08-12, 09:06 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewakelin View Post
I am thinking of making all my pcs rack mount as it would save space, but i dont know where to look for rack mount cases and i need a rack mount cabinet. I have no idea where to look as i checked the mainstream places and they where way out of my budget. (£3000 for a case?!?!) But srsly im not rich so keep budget in mind. Thanks
All server stuff is very expensive, so are rack case. How many pcs do you have that a huge rack cabinet would safe you space? If you want to put a desktop rig into a rack you'll need 4u chassis
Old 08-08-12, 09:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
IW-R300 is an inexpensive case. You have to remember that these rack mount systems are intended for business and not for individual consumers and will be very expensive.
Old 08-08-12, 09:14 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Sorry for the double post. IE went cazy on me. the IW-R300 is inexpensive at $150-$200 US dollars.
Old 08-08-12, 09:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBAR View Post
Sorry for the double post. IE went cazy on me. the IW-R300 is inexpensive at $150-$200 US dollars.
Sorry for the late reply i was having a fight with a daddy long legs, but any way yeah. I had a look on newegg and they had some cheapish ones.
Old 08-08-12, 09:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarc View Post
All server stuff is very expensive, so are rack case. How many pcs do you have that a huge rack cabinet would safe you space? If you want to put a desktop rig into a rack you'll need 4u chassis
I have 3-5 computers and in the future a network switch which takes up 1U
Old 08-08-12, 09:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
I have 3-5 computers and in the future a network switch which takes up 1U
I'm just not sure if it's worth spending that much money, even if you find cheaper cases, I don't think there is a "value rack cabinet"
Also consider the noise that comes from the server grade fans

Please don't think I don't like the idea but it's just difficult to combine server and desktop stuff
Old 09-08-12, 12:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarc View Post
I'm just not sure if it's worth spending that much money, even if you find cheaper cases, I don't think there is a "value rack cabinet"
Also consider the noise that comes from the server grade fans

Please don't think I don't like the idea but it's just difficult to combine server and desktop stuff
I know, i might try looking for second hand server stuff and refurbing it. I have an abundance of fans so switching them shouldn't be a problem and i could control them.
Old 09-08-12, 02:51 PM

Tripplite make inexpensive racks. It will depend on how tall you want it and if you want it enclosed. A 4 post open frame 13U rack is under $200. You can get a 42U for under $500.

Old 09-08-12, 03:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Im going to see if i can find any racks/cabinets on ebay and for actual cases i might go to rosewill or if i see something on ebay or maybe if a friend has or my local computer shop. I might go to tripplite for a rack.

Tags
atx, case, mount, rack, server