Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 16-08-16, 09:47 AM
Resident Newb

Thanks for the info bud but got some news yesterday that ensures money shall be a little tight for the next few months.

Old 16-08-16, 10:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Another vote for the 598's. The best headphones I have ever used. A lot of people say the open backs lack some bass, but I don't notice it with these cans. If you want to go a little cheaper, go with the 518's.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD.../dp/B0042A68R8

They have a little more built in bass punch for gaming, but almost the same great feel of the 598's.
Old 16-08-16, 12:32 PM
OC3D Elite

I've never really liked Sens. The only set I ever bought were a set of wireless RFs about eight years ago and they were awful. The worst cans I've ever had.

However, they are also the only ones I don't have so I might pick a pair of the 600 series up at some point and give them a good audition

Old 16-08-16, 12:42 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I've never really liked Sens. The only set I ever bought were a set of wireless RFs about eight years ago and they were awful. The worst cans I've ever had.

However, they are also the only ones I don't have so I might pick a pair of the 600 series up at some point and give them a good audition
I have the HD518 cans and can honestly say they are the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of using 10/10 would recommend, the soft cups and head band, they are light, fit nicely over my bulbous head and remain comfortable for hours. The sound quality is epic but only via DAC, if used through onboard sound they come over as over saturated (too much all at once with no balance).
Old 16-08-16, 01:01 PM
OC3D Elite

I've got a plethora of amps to choose from now, so I should be able to find the perfect combo !

I was poking around on the net the other day and figured I would love to have all three sets on my desk all amped up. I have plenty of sound sources (XFI Tit HD, D2X, U1, Recon3D ETC) but not enough amps. Any way, if you like a bit of fun check this thing out.

You can get it here for a mere thirty pounds delivered via DPD.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../bte-techbt928

OK then you take it apart and remove the tone control and a couple of other parts.

Which makes it completely neutral. You can then upgrade it all.

http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=11909

I have made a new face plate for mine.

And have ordered a few Nichicon gold caps. I still need a couple more so I won't bother until I have them all ready to swap out. Should cost no more than £20 on top of the amp cost so you get a wicked little amp for £50.

Going back to cans? my Grados are hands down the most comfy pair of cans I own (and I own about twenty pairs :O ) They sucked for the first three weeks on the standard cups. The inside metal grill was touching my ears and hurting like feck. I believe it's referred to as "Grado pain". Any way, against all advice I bought these from China for £6. Grado want $50 for them.

I was told they would reduce bass impact, blah blah blah. They didn't of course, and they added extra depth and presence to the sound. They look like this now.

Pretty ridiculous but omg they are comfy. It's down to them being made from mahogany, which weighs absolutely nothing.

Old 16-08-16, 02:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I shall have a look although a friend of mine just messaged me on Facebook asking if I'd want to buy his Phillips Fidelio X1's for £150 which have been worn for less than a day.

I'll have to do some research on both the Sennheiser 598's and the X1's
The x1's sound very similar to the x2's, that's a good price if they're in good condition.

Be careful with the 598's if bass is what you want, they're a little bass light.

The HE400S's are also great, I've got a set. They really need a pad change to sound good though, the Brainwavz HM5 angled pleather pads work great. But even with those, the bass isn't like basshead levels and the treble/upper midrange on those cans is quite forward so they sound a little bright. Personally I'm a clarity freak so I love them but if you're a basshead you might not enjoy them.
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]