Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 15-01-20, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I'm still on 4 cores too, but time I moved on i think,
Horses for courses.

I changed the quad core in my laptop for a dual core quite a while back and so far haven't been compelled to change back to the quad core. Perhaps it's because computers are more a hobby for me than anything else. I still have a 6 core i7-6800k but unlucky in the silicon lottery with it and disappointed to the point I bought a used 14 core Xeon for about half the price of the i7-6800k. I didn't need a high core count but was interested to see how it worked and if it could be overclocked.

I don't have deep pockets so use old hardware and that's fine, it's not like I have any deadlines to reach. Of course it would be nice to try some new stuff but a little patience required. So far haven't played with anything newer than that i7-6800k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperman View Post
380w?
To quote a well used phrase from Intel.
Quote:
TDP is not the maximum power that the processor can dissipate.

Old 15-01-20, 08:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Horses for courses.

I changed the quad core in my laptop for a dual core quite a while back and so far haven't been compelled to change back to the quad core. Perhaps it's because computers are more a hobby for me than anything else. I still have a 6 core i7-6800k but unlucky in the silicon lottery with it and disappointed to the point I bought a used 14 core Xeon for about half the price of the i7-6800k. I didn't need a high core count but was interested to see how it worked and if it could be overclocked.

I don't have deep pockets so use old hardware and that's fine, it's not like I have any deadlines to reach. Of course it would be nice to try some new stuff but a little patience required. So far haven't played with anything newer than that i7-6800k.

To quote a well used phrase from Intel.
Thats a good point. I have been lucky with my 7700k. I really want to upgrade because I have that itch, but logically I don't need to right now. So far the current state of architecture has impressed me but not "WOWed" me into upgrading like my 2500k did so long ago.