Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 28-02-20, 02:24 PM

Project ONDA

Hello everyone!
Glad to be back in business, after having moved workshop and installed my new CNC milling machine, which will assist me in the projects from now on

The project I'd like to present to you today is something pretty special, based on the open air case Hydra Mini. It features an abstract theme and it aims at being a living room/design gallery element.

I'll say no more and just let you imagine things as I go through the works!

Firstly, I'd like to thank my sponsors for this project:

HYDRA, PC HUNTER, HWLEGEND, ASUS ROG, OCPC GAMING, ALPHACOOL, SEASONIC, CABLEMOD.

Let's give it a start then!

First piece of material got under the machine's paws

The first and last "crescent moons" will have closed pockets instead of holes because there will be rods holding them together and screws at the sides.

One is missing, no more wood :duh:

Base for the entire structure, with a nice chamfer and engraved Explore Modding logo

All for now. Stay tuned guys

Old 28-02-20, 02:41 PM
News Guru

Nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

What machine are you using to work that wood?
Old 28-02-20, 03:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Haha it looks like you're chopping mushrooms

WB man looking forward to this

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 28-02-20, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Haha it looks like you're chopping mushrooms

WB man looking forward to this
Can't unsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Nice one. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

What machine are you using to work that wood?
I'm using a 1500x1500 Workbee from Ooznest
Old 03-07-20, 01:53 PM

Heyyyy everyone! How are y'all doing?
I'm so happy to finally be back at the workshop, I've been quarantined for almost three months and then I had to deal with university exams, but now I'm here to blow some minds! :dremel:

While I was working on the exams, I started making some time to get back to work on this project which was meant to be a quick one....
and in that time I stained the wood in a mahogany tint, here's the result:

Here's a test with three spacers that I made for the moons, but the rest will come later, there are 27 more to make

My first attempt at the CNC with aluminum wasn't the most flawless ever, I got some melting and had to adjust some settings and make some trial and error. But I pulled it off eventually and these are a couple bracket that will attach to the moons and hold the 360mm rad!

A pretty nerve-wrecking part was to drill 8mm holes on the edges of four of the moons which are 14mm thick. And this is what they are for:

This is obviously just a quick fit test as the spacers are still missing therefore this is not a solid and final structure to continue working on. But I could get a clearer idea on how to proceed

This is all for now but since I'm back modding full time, there will finally be some consistency. See ya!
Old 09-07-20, 07:23 AM
OC3D Elite

It looks stylish. I really want to see it complete.
Old 11-08-20, 08:49 AM

NOT DEAD YET! Just too lazy to make constant updates

Let's start off with a little custom bracket I made to mount the Eisball reservoir to the radiator. It already comes with a standard bracket but that didn't fit the look of this thing so I made my own

Then I went to the custom panel that will hold the graphics card in an unusual position for the Hydra Mini: at the bottom! But since this Hydra Mini is hanging to the side, this means the graphics card will be facing at one side of the structure

Here it is mounted

Got some aluminum rods done to hold the structure together, as well as some tube spacer to go between all the moons to leave a 36mm space

Fit test successful!!

Old 17-08-20, 02:34 PM

Since this is a floating design, it's clearly not the sturdiest ever, in fact it sagged A LOT towards the right side, where there wasn't any support. So I added another aluminum rod, this time a longer one, to help support everything and keep it level

I also fixed the top section of the Hydra Mini to the longer radiator bracket, using a small L-profile, so now it doesn't move at all

Some adjustment was needed on the radiator brackets, and while the structure was half naked, I snagged a cool pic

Now time to think about tubing, for which I'll use chromed ones for the first time, together with some acrylic as well

But first, cable management! This was a tricky one because I had to manage all the cables from the PSU before mounting the Mini on the structure, BUT there were some important components on the structure, which needed to get their cables managed: fans and res/pump. So after having mounted the Mini, I had to make my hands small and sneaky to get to the back and tie everything up. I think I did well eventually and that last pic was the best I could do to show the cable management, because it can't be seen from any angle

Old 21-08-20, 03:27 PM

Got tubing done as well

Now it's time for some troubleshooting before wrapping up this project: this wood sucks. It's probably too soft for this application and the more I moved this thing around, the more it sagged and the holes at the base got slightly larger. So I picked some of this thick clear glue that should help keeping everything in place

Aaaand it's alive! I didn't think this would look so good on a desk setup, but it actually looking killer sitting on the desk like that! Proud of myself hahah

Got the RGB tamed and next step is final pics!

Old 21-08-20, 03:34 PM
OC3D Elite

A truely unique piece of work that one, it looks amazing!