Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 16-07-19, 09:30 AM

Made this to replace the previous PSU mounting. It will be a sort of lightbox, it's composed of three layers: a white opale one, and two clear with crystal patterns that will be painted red and in white stone effect.
Can't wait to see this all painted and lit up

Old 24-07-19, 11:56 AM

Adding some crystal patterns to the radiator covers that will also serve as something else other than covers. You'll see as I go on with the fabrications

Old 22-08-19, 04:09 PM

Hey guys, I've been really caught up in life lately and haven't had time to update, but I surely had time to mod!
Today we're taking a look at some pieces I've made with the epoxy resin from Resin Pro, which are the center panel that will hold most of the hardware, and the power button.

I obviously started by making the mold for the panel

Then I made a couple pours, the final thickness will be about 15mm but I really didn't want the resin to get too hot so I proceded with pours of about 5/6mm each.
The surface changed completely while the resin cured, that's one thing to keep in mind if you want a very specific look

Next up was cutting the panel in the shape I wanted and doing some more creative work on one side and then clear coating with a thin pour. I used aluminum tape to seal the edges

After sanding and doing a bit of polishing I made the mount to the case, using a hollow aluminum tube with a threaded bar inside, which goes from bottom to top of the case, while I made a simple bracket on the back that attaches to the radiator. This way the panel is 100% solid mounted

And now a little bonus I mentioned before, the gem as power button

Old 29-08-19, 08:57 AM

Next up is mounting all the hardware on the resin panel.

Meanwhile, I had to get rid of the annoying fan cables sticking everywhere, so I made this simple mod to one of the fans and routed all the cables to the top of the case

Let's get to the real business now! First I mounted the motherboard, helping myself with some aluminum profiles attached to the resin panel with some self-tapping screws, to which I secured the standoffs

The graphics card was mounted using some other aluminum profiles and standoffs, attached directly to the motherboard standoffs. It was fixed with one screw at the bottom and with a profile at the top, making it slip under the backplate and fixing it to another profile, so that didn't have to drill anything on the backplate itself

Now making the pump brackets, once again out of aluminum, and fixing it to the resin panel with self-tapping screws. Some may wonder why I chose this type of screws: I did it because I don't think thread tapping on resin would be durable, plus I don't want any screw or bolt to show up on the other side, so using screws and bolts wasn't an option.

For the res, I made a pair of custom brackets since I didn't like the platic ones that it came with.

Then attached it using the same system as for the pump

I also made some cuts to the front I/O panel, removing all the plastic that was visible when mounted. This cutout will be filled with crystal later on

Old 29-08-19, 12:03 PM
Bettyswollocks

Damn!! That's some out of the box thinking and world class modding, kudos to you indeed!
Old 30-08-19, 02:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!

Old 30-08-19, 03:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Wow this is bloody fantastic!
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 11-09-19, 08:35 AM

Thank you very much everyone! I appreciate the great feedback

Made a lightbox for the front layered panels, I made it with red LEDs at first but I'll change it to WRGB later

And now doing something that I think could be implemented in a possible "Gaming Version" of the SL600M: a lit trim behind the front panel!

I started cutting an acrylic frame to size and bending it using the original panel as a template

When I put the frame behind the aluminum I had to adjust the bend radius so I heated more and shaped it perfectly

As for the plastic part of the front, I cut off all the pieces that were sticking out, to allow more space for the cables that will run through the front

Here are the lightbox lit and the front trim

Old 11-09-19, 11:52 AM
News Guru

Nice work.
Old 11-09-19, 11:54 AM
Bettyswollocks

Truely Incredible! This stopped being a generic mod ages ago it's simply a work of art now. Kudos.