Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-05-18, 05:36 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
OLED is HDR. But honestly I prefer the brighter screens, OLEDs are too dark and "constrasty" for me.
Nah not all OLED screens supports HDR. Heck the ones that do don't even support full HDR! It'll be a long time before we get that.
I don't think they are to dark. You can always turn up the brightness

Old 16-05-18, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
HDR and OLED are completely different categories of technology. One helps the other exist but that is the extent of their relation. HDR is a range of specifications meant for video playback, rendering, and display certification. What we now call HDR generally requires the display to be able to parse 10-bit depth data and to meet certain minimum brightness and contrast specifications amongst other things.

OLED, like LCD, Plasma, CRT, ect is JUST a panel technology. It IS a panel technology that's reasonably well suited to HDR (It is generally quite bright with high contrast ratios), but not exclusive, and there's are huge swaths of OLED panels on the market that are not HDR compatible.

I've found many cheaper HDR displays on the market achieve the high contrast ratio by reducing their default/centre brightness, I'm assuming this is why you think OLEDs are "Dark and contrasty", despite modern OLEDs being some of the brightest displays on the market(Hence why Samsung has long held the crown for the brightest smartphone screens).

4K 144Hz shouldn't be hard to achieve with many games, just not the latest and greatest. I remembering pushing [email protected] (Old engineering grade Trinitron I unfortunately had to part with) with a HD7870XT in a fair few games of the time.
OLEDs are not the brightest TVs whatsoever. OLEDS are only given their HDR accreditation because they can achieve such low brightness levels.

Sort the table in the link at the bottom of the page, the top LED TV achieves a peak output of ~1400 nits, the top OLED does ~600. If that was an LED TV that would be classed as poor HDR TV.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr

The reason I refer to them as contrasty is because the black levels are way lower than an LED can ever achieve in a bright scene. I'm just not used to seeing it and I prefer the wow factor of the high peak brightness for games/movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Nah not all OLED screens supports HDR. Heck the ones that do don't even support full HDR! It'll be a long time before we get that.
I don't think they are to dark. You can always turn up the brightness
I don't know of any OLED you can buy Today that don't meet the HDR specs?
You can turn up the brightness but they won't go as bright as an LED.
Old 16-05-18, 07:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

The newest ones support HDR but even then not the full standard.

There are plenty more non HDR OLED TVs out there than there are that are HDR. OLED been out longer than HDR you need to remember.

They get plenty bright. Hurts my eyes at Max brightness just like an LED will. And yes I've used OLED extensively, not just sat in a store and stared at one for hours
Old 16-05-18, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The newest ones support HDR but even then not the full standard.

There are plenty more non HDR OLED TVs out there than there are that are HDR. OLED been out longer than HDR you need to remember.

They get plenty bright. Hurts my eyes at Max brightness just like an LED will. And yes I've used OLED extensively, not just sat in a store and stared at one for hours
The OLEDs precede the HDR spec yes, but the HDR spec was adjusted to included OLEDs.
If you think OLEDs are bright, use a top of the range LED HDR TV. They make you squint when you look at the sun in a game.
Old 16-05-18, 08:42 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
The OLEDs precede the HDR spec yes, but the HDR spec was adjusted to included OLEDs.
If you think OLEDs are bright, use a top of the range LED HDR TV. They make you squint when you look at the sun in a game.
That in my opinion is just a silly way of measuring brightness. No game should be so bright it blinds you. You sit way to close for that, brightness should not be to bright, bad for the eyes. I would know, it's ruined my eyesight.

I was more talking movies at night. They are both more than bright enough. Having used both a new QLED from Samsung and a slightly older OLED TV I don't see a reason why you would need anything more bright than the OLED. Using them side by side the overall picture quality is better on OLED. The darks and brights are more clear and the colors were both so close you'd have to pause and look at the differences.

The only reason you would need super brightness is if you have the sun shining in the room the TV is in.
Old 16-05-18, 09:32 PM

Quote:
That in my opinion is just a silly way of measuring brightness. No game should be so bright it blinds you. You sit way to close for that, brightness should not be to bright, bad for the eyes. I would know, it's ruined my eyesight.

I was more talking movies at night. They are both more than bright enough. Having used both a new QLED from Samsung and a slightly older OLED TV I don't see a reason why you would need anything more bright than the OLED. Using them side by side the overall picture quality is better on OLED. The darks and brights are more clear and the colors were both so close you'd have to pause and look at the differences.

The only reason you would need super brightness is if you have the sun shining in the room the TV is in.
Lol I don't mean constantly squint. I just mean you don't expect it, you're reaction is to squint. Then you realise it's not that bright in reality but it happens again when you don't see it for a while. It's actually pretty amazing. Wait until you see it. I've been doing HDR graphics stuff for a little while now and it's like the jump from SD to HD was IMO. Can't go back.
Old 17-05-18, 12:25 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I believe you. Both are great technologies i just believe OLED is superior as of right now than any LED HDR screen
Old 17-05-18, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I believe you. Both are great technologies i just believe OLED is superior as of right now than any LED HDR screen
Oh I would agree. Like I said, it's just a personal preference, but I also know I'm not the only one
Old 17-05-18, 12:06 PM

I do have to say, if you've ever wanted to enjoy HDR content on a sunny day without turning your room into a vampiric dungeon, you probably would require >1000 nits. Even with indoor lighting on things can get abit hard to see if the brightness is below 400 nits. In a darkened room however, yeah the 400-600 nits of most OLEDs is more than enough, and in those cases the pseudo-blacks of an LCD(At least one without features like localised backlight dimming) can get fairly distracting when watching darker content.
Old 17-05-18, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I do have to say, if you've ever wanted to enjoy HDR content on a sunny day without turning your room into a vampiric dungeon, you probably would require >1000 nits. Even with indoor lighting on things can get abit hard to see if the brightness is below 400 nits. In a darkened room however, yeah the 400-600 nits of most OLEDs is more than enough, and in those cases the pseudo-blacks of an LCD(At least one without features like localised backlight dimming) can get fairly distracting when watching darker content.
For sure. OLEDs are much better for a movie night in the dark. Day to day I prefer my LEDs