Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-05-19, 12:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Is that to install Gapps specifically? I think this would be by far the safest and easiest route forward if official Gapps were restricted: https://opengapps.org/
Yes I meant installing specifically. The drawback is while there are safer sites to obtain the apk from, there are so many uploaded to CNET etc, that many unaware users will be caught out with the versions they download.

its also a pita to keep updated.

Old 22-05-19, 12:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
its also a pita to keep updated.
Their app does all the updating for you, I think this would catch on pretty quick, saves sideloading the actual Gapps files themselves, this a lot more accessible for most people than the usual method of sideloading them I think.
https://opengapps.org/app/

Requires root access but there's lots of one-click tools for that for Huaewi devices. (I've personally used this for a while because of all the bloat with official gapps)
Old 22-05-19, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Their app does all the updating for you, I think this would catch on pretty quick, saves sideloading the actual Gapps files themselves, this a lot more accessible for most people than the usual method of sideloading them I think.
https://opengapps.org/app/

Requires root access but there's lots of one-click tools for that for Huaewi devices. (I've personally used this for a while because of all the bloat with official gapps)
I like that idea. Because every time you need to update an apk. You must disable the securities of adding 3rd party apps one time. Wasn't aware of this site. I mostly test signalling, ipx, grx or ip connectivity with international carriers and forerign networks. My knowledge of software is quite limited

I refuse to disable the securities indefinately. Too risky.

requiring root access though is an instant deal breaker for the average user. Its one step too far for them especially if they need to learn how to do something simple like downloading an apk file and accessing it.
Old 22-05-19, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah it will put a lot off but I remember the days when almost everyones iPhone/iPod Touch was jailbroken, if someone didn't know how to do it, they usually knew someone who did, or someone else knew someone who did, I could see a similar situation arising here in their bigger markets(Which I'd class the UK as nowadays).

Not sure how common they are elsewhere, but here in in the north you get a lot of flea markets just outside precincts where people(Knock off Nigels) will offer these grey-market services for a small fee publicly, usually next to a pile of knock off DVDs & games. Often they're licensed sellers for a given stall but rarely have many licensed goods.
Old 22-05-19, 01:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Yeah it will put a lot off but I remember the days when almost everyones iPhone/iPod Touch was jailbroken, if someone didn't know how to do it, they usually knew someone who did, or someone else knew someone who did, I could see a similar situation arising here in their bigger markets(Which I'd class the UK as nowadays).

Not sure how common they are elsewhere, but here in in the north you get a lot of flea markets just outside precincts where people(Knock off Nigels) will offer these grey-market services for a small fee publicly, usually next to a pile of knock off DVDs & games. Often they're licensed sellers for a given stall but rarely have many licensed goods.
The popularity y of rooted phones has dropped dramatically in Norway. You now pose a risk of your terminal being blacklisted in the EIR database. Basically your IMEI number gets reported as lost, stolen or highly suspicious meaning when you try to make an attach to some networks (those who run lookups to the EIR) you are purged from the request.

If you are added by mistake. It is sometimes a torrid time trying to prove your UE is not stolen.

Our network uses the EIR. I have to reply to russian operators on a daily basis that their customers roaming in Norway are blocked because AT&T USA has reported the IMEI number as stolen.

There has to be an alternative to this though without having to root the phone. You can use a root IMEI changer but could always hit a snag at some point.
Old 23-05-19, 08:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Business as usual for the next 90days. After that Huawei needs to overhaul their westerised OS so it uses their custom version of google opensource. Basically what they use now in Asia (excluding google apps which are banned anyway)

Additionally the future of google play, and google apps is still unsure. It could be handled unofficially by means of apk files. However officially, we dont know. If they allow us to download the apps, it still affects us badly given that downloads must be via google play which would be unavailable.

Right now, I only see 3rd party .apk files as an option. And these fall under the "use at your own risk" since they could easily have unorthodox configurations or spyware etc installed.

You just summed up Brexit in a nutshell. Every deal put forward is rejected and torn apart by the opposition.
So basically I'm effed? Heard nothing about Huawei bans in the Netherlands though.
Old 23-05-19, 08:50 PM
OC3D Crew

My guess is that Huawei will move onto using AOSP but not use Google Integration. Then users can flash stuff like Open Gapps to get Play Store integration back in. That is as long as Huawei still have the Apache License to distribute AOSP.
It doesn't necessarily need root to work. Just a recovery mode that supports flashing .zip files. However, the main drawback would be that the devices wouldn't pass SafetyNet, so apps like Netflix, certain banking apps, and whatnot won't be able to be installed.
Old 24-05-19, 11:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
So basically I'm effed? Heard nothing about Huawei bans in the Netherlands though.
No,

Honestly its blown so far out of proportion. All speculation at the moment. They will have an OS ready for sure. Its just localisation and various bundle updates that need fixing. Their Asian market uses custom open source OS because Google apps are banned in China.

Google can also bypass Trump via some legislation, if they wanted to. People should stop panicking over Huawei. The drawback is the security updates or rather the speed at which we will receive them. There may not be any Day 0 releases but you will get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
My guess is that Huawei will move onto using AOSP but not use Google Integration. Then users can flash stuff like Open Gapps to get Play Store integration back in. That is as long as Huawei still have the Apache License to distribute AOSP.
It doesn't necessarily need root to work. Just a recovery mode that supports flashing .zip files. However, the main drawback would be that the devices wouldn't pass SafetyNet, so apps like Netflix, certain banking apps, and whatnot won't be able to be installed.
Majority of current users will not be affected for a very long time. Its new users who may feel the pinch more, if it ever even gets to that point.
Old 24-05-19, 12:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah this is more likely just another one of Trumps games of chicken in the trading war. He literally wrote a whole book about using this negotiating tactic in business and yet still always trys to use it, despite the fact it's completely negated if the other side cottons on(That might explain his string of high profile bankruptcys after releasing that book).
Old 06-06-19, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
No, I'm talking of not everyone being the same which the person above obviously thinks,
If by the person above you mean me then I don't know how you came to that conclusion as personally I think everybody is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
There will always be "us and them" between different groups, Cultures, Races etc...and that is completely fine.
Of all the countries I have visited the majority of people have been friendly and not of the "us and them" attitude regardless of race, religion, color, culture. Of course there are some people who would not be so friendly but I'd have to say they were the minority in my own experience.

FWIW I would disagree with a "them and us" attitude being fine but as I said, we are all different.