Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 20-03-20, 10:26 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,731
Over 400K people have joined [email protected] to combat Covid-19

The project started out with around 30K active folders.



Read more about [email protected] gaining over 400K new users since it started fighting Covid-19.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-03-20, 12:46 PM
Avet's Avatar
Avet Avet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,411
If half of them continue folding it will be phenomenal.
__________________
Turbos on an engine is God's way of telling you it ain't got enough cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-03-20, 12:57 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,613
Wow, that's incredible! Now if only there were enough WUs for all of us.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-03-20, 04:03 PM
FTLN FTLN is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,678
Well better to have workers available and not enough WUs than to many WUs and not enough workers. I have my 2080ti set up at the moment, it's done a couple of WUs today.
__________________

https://valid.x86.fr/6w9bi0
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-03-20, 05:24 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Well better to have workers available and not enough WUs than to many WUs and not enough workers. I have my 2080ti set up at the moment, it's done a couple of WUs today.
That's true, but so much more work could be done. There's no difference between 400k folders or 30k folders if the majority are idle. I haven't had any WUs in the last 24 hours on any of my clients.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-03-20, 05:54 PM
FTLN FTLN is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
That's true, but so much more work could be done. There's no difference between 400k folders or 30k folders if the majority are idle. I haven't had any WUs in the last 24 hours on any of my clients.
I'm sure that when they find a cure you'll get your WUs back, I will for sure stop folding when this crisis comes to an end (Cant stand the fan noise).
__________________

https://valid.x86.fr/6w9bi0
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-03-20, 07:39 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
I'm sure that when they find a cure you'll get your WUs back, I will for sure stop folding when this crisis comes to an end (Cant stand the fan noise).
It's not so much about me getting WUs, it's the project as a whole. We have 100s of thousands of new folders and they can't do anything.

I'm with you on the noise though. Years ago when my PC was in my room the sound was deafening. I do run my fans at 100% when I fold, but my PC is in the basement. When I'm in that room they are at 40%.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-03-20, 07:41 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
It's not so much about me getting WUs, it's the project as a whole. We have 100s of thousands of new folders and they can't do anything.

I'm with you on the noise though. Years ago when my PC was in my room the sound was deafening. I do run my fans at 100% when I fold, but my PC is in the basement. When I'm in that room they are at 40%.
A lot of the GPUs that I have been using recently have had their power limits lowered and the fan speeds set to high, but not deafening levels. Keeps the temps down and the cards at tolerable noise levels.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-03-20, 07:49 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
It's not so much about me getting WUs, it's the project as a whole. We have 100s of thousands of new folders and they can't do anything.

I'm with you on the noise though. Years ago when my PC was in my room the sound was deafening. I do run my fans at 100% when I fold, but my PC is in the basement. When I'm in that room they are at 40%.
Why aren't there enough WUs though? Is it because the servers are under so much stress or is it that they just don't have enough right now that need to be worked on because research is going slow?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-03-20, 06:43 AM
CRITICALThinker's Avatar
CRITICALThinker CRITICALThinker is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 79
I have been meaning to set up what will become my VR PC hopefully as a [email protected] setup full time, but between it seeming to not work when set to on idle and me not having time (or a dedicated spot for it) I only just got around to setting it up since I'm off work. 10 threads, an RX 470 and an RX 580 should get some units pumping through when they can get the work units. Should be nice when LTT gets a server going to split the load.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|- Ryzen 5 3600 -||- Deepcool Gamaxx 400 -||- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite -||- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz -||- EVGA GQ650 -||- MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB -||- Zalman Z9 Plus -||- Adata SU800 1TB -||- 2TB Mechanical Storage -|
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.