Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-03-20, 10:26 AM
News Guru

Over 400K people have joined [email protected] to combat Covid-19

The project started out with around 30K active folders.

Read more about [email protected] gaining over 400K new users since it started fighting Covid-19.

Old 20-03-20, 12:46 PM
OC3D Elite

If half of them continue folding it will be phenomenal.
Old 20-03-20, 12:57 PM

Wow, that's incredible! Now if only there were enough WUs for all of us.

Old 20-03-20, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Well better to have workers available and not enough WUs than to many WUs and not enough workers. I have my 2080ti set up at the moment, it's done a couple of WUs today.

https://valid.x86.fr/6w9bi0
Old 20-03-20, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
Well better to have workers available and not enough WUs than to many WUs and not enough workers. I have my 2080ti set up at the moment, it's done a couple of WUs today.
That's true, but so much more work could be done. There's no difference between 400k folders or 30k folders if the majority are idle. I haven't had any WUs in the last 24 hours on any of my clients.

Old 20-03-20, 05:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
That's true, but so much more work could be done. There's no difference between 400k folders or 30k folders if the majority are idle. I haven't had any WUs in the last 24 hours on any of my clients.
I'm sure that when they find a cure you'll get your WUs back, I will for sure stop folding when this crisis comes to an end (Cant stand the fan noise).

https://valid.x86.fr/6w9bi0
Old 20-03-20, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLN View Post
I'm sure that when they find a cure you'll get your WUs back, I will for sure stop folding when this crisis comes to an end (Cant stand the fan noise).
It's not so much about me getting WUs, it's the project as a whole. We have 100s of thousands of new folders and they can't do anything.

I'm with you on the noise though. Years ago when my PC was in my room the sound was deafening. I do run my fans at 100% when I fold, but my PC is in the basement. When I'm in that room they are at 40%.

Old 20-03-20, 07:41 PM
News Guru

Quote:
It's not so much about me getting WUs, it's the project as a whole. We have 100s of thousands of new folders and they can't do anything.

I'm with you on the noise though. Years ago when my PC was in my room the sound was deafening. I do run my fans at 100% when I fold, but my PC is in the basement. When I'm in that room they are at 40%.
A lot of the GPUs that I have been using recently have had their power limits lowered and the fan speeds set to high, but not deafening levels. Keeps the temps down and the cards at tolerable noise levels.
Old 20-03-20, 07:49 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:

Why aren't there enough WUs though? Is it because the servers are under so much stress or is it that they just don't have enough right now that need to be worked on because research is going slow?
Old 23-03-20, 06:43 AM

I have been meaning to set up what will become my VR PC hopefully as a [email protected] setup full time, but between it seeming to not work when set to on idle and me not having time (or a dedicated spot for it) I only just got around to setting it up since I'm off work. 10 threads, an RX 470 and an RX 580 should get some units pumping through when they can get the work units. Should be nice when LTT gets a server going to split the load.
|- Ryzen 5 3600 -||- Deepcool Gamaxx 400 -||- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite -||- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz -||- EVGA GQ650 -||- MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB -||- Zalman Z9 Plus -||- Adata SU800 1TB -||- 2TB Mechanical Storage -|