Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 14-05-05, 09:51 AM
OC3D Elite

copper plate?

if i got a small copper plate and put it on the bottom of my heatsink would it work better lol?

Old 14-05-05, 10:00 AM
OC3D Elite

a copper block might, but if it is too big then the heat wont disapate into the actualy heatsink, it will just stay in the copper block. would be ncie to try though.
Old 14-05-05, 10:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='harmonicgen007'
if i got a small copper plate and put it on the bottom of my heatsink would it work better lol?
Possibly, a lot of cheap-o heatsinks have copper blocks attached to their aluminum bases to help aid in dissipation. I guess u could try, but u'd have to make sure that it doesnt lift the HSF too far up or you wont be able to latch it down.
Old 14-05-05, 10:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
Possibly, a lot of cheap-o heatsinks have copper blocks attached to their aluminum bases to help aid in dissipation. I guess u could try, but u'd have to make sure that it doesnt lift the HSF too far up or you wont be able to latch it down.
yeah i know, is there such thing as thermal glue?
Old 14-05-05, 01:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Quote:
yeah i know, is there such thing as thermal glue?
Yes, its referred to as thermal adhesive, arctive silver makes the best.
Old 14-05-05, 01:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='FragTek'
Yes, its referred to as thermal adhesive, arctive silver makes the best.
yeah okk artic silver are the ownage of everything
Old 14-05-05, 01:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
yeah okk artic silver are the ownage of everything
The last thing u'd ever want to do is use thermal adhesive to attach a heatsink to ur processor, because it's never comin' off, lol... and if u do get it off, it's takin with it, more than likely the IHS if u have one, if u were retarded enough to attach it directly to the die on an exposed die proccy then say buhbye to the core! lol
Old 14-05-05, 03:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
short answer no it would have to be physically connected(with 100% matched surfaces -- impossible) to the heatsink to dissapate heat any better else it will do quite to opposite (even with tim tween the HS and copper it will still be lower performance) sorry man has to be the same metal (or soldered perfectly) to increase performance
Old 14-05-05, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Joe'
short answer no it would have to be physically connected(with 100% matched surfaces -- impossible) to the heatsink to dissapate heat any better else it will do quite to opposite (even with tim tween the HS and copper it will still be lower performance) sorry man has to be the same metal (or soldered perfectly) to increase performance
Basically it would be best to buy a decent HSF cause unless you're an expert metal workerthen it will turn out !!
Old 15-05-05, 03:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Joe'
hmm yeah i see, im not actually going to do it im just seeing if it would work lol