Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 02-05-17, 07:43 AM

DIY Desk-Mounted Blu-Ray Drive

Due to the way my desk setup works, it's kinda inconvenient for me to open my internal Blu-Ray drive each time I want to play a DVD/Blu-Ray. Backing the discs up to a HDD isn't an option for me right now as I don't have the budget to purchase 12TB+ of storage.

I have an external Blu-Ray drive but it's very unreliable and I can't seem to find one that has a slide-out tray instead of a flip-open one from a reputable brand (i.e. Pioneer, LG, Sony etc). I need this feature because I'd like to mount the drive on the underside of my desk for easy access. I'm a stickler for tidiness.

This then gave me the idea of mounting an internal drive externally. Obviously this is easier said than done. Does anyone know if a USB 3.1 type C to SATA3 data & power adapter would work for this project? They all seem to be marketed as external SSD & HDD cables. This is what I'm referring to.

On paper it seems to work. SATA3 is 6Gbp/s and needs 12v and USB 3.1 type C does 10Gbp/s and can supply 20v. Is there something I might be missing?

Thanks,
Miles.

Old 02-05-17, 09:33 AM
OC3D Elite

You can just buy 5.25" external bay that is USB 3.0 and enjoy.