Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 02-05-16, 08:09 PM

First coat of primer going on, this piece will be black eventually. Two coats of primer, and a black matt finish. Will post again once everything has been painted

Old 05-05-16, 04:32 PM

so here we are, party painted, ventilation panels have been glued in, still some work to do on the base and some black painting to do also. when i'm done painting i'm going to glue it all together and use black screws on the white for a bit of aesthetics and ofcourse so it doesn't decide to fall apart
Old 09-05-16, 08:52 PM

so heres an update on the work. at the moment the paint is still not completely 100% but in this picture you can see the lid is on, and ive done the same as the sides and added ventilation so i can have some fans on the lid, ive stuck hinges on the back, this will allow easy access to the case when i need to. almost done with the painting and gluing, once thats done i get to fit all the computer parts inside
Old 09-05-16, 10:48 PM

So its getting to the point now where my building is almost done and where now i have to plan how im going to mount things.

In the image if you can see, i have a nice little bag choc full of M3 screws and some standoffs also, i plan to use the stand offs in the ventalation panel and just screw the M3 into the stand off, thus holding my fans in place. Ill probably do this with my motherboard also as it seems like the simplest thing to do
Old 10-05-16, 06:59 AM

Ao this is it, pretty much what the final design and colour scheme will be from the outside, i still need to do black touch ups on the back panal for a bit of contrast between the box joints though but i thought id just share it in its near final form. Its been hard work and its very satisfying to ser how its all come together. I hope you guys like it.
Old 10-05-16, 03:38 PM

Black and white theme flowing

Back panel finally fully painted and fixed in place, if you look closly you can also see that ive done alternate colours on the hinge also, which in the moment of peeling off the masking tape i happend to catch it with the stanly knife -.- but ill fix that later
Old 15-05-16, 10:14 PM

So building the computer case has pretty been done. Apart from holes needing to be cut for power etc. So ive fitted the stand offs for the mobo and also mocked up where everything will go, bottom left is the psu, either side of the mobo will be the hdd and ssd and as you can see in the image the 4 rectanguler shaped wood standing up, these are actually going to hold strips of LEDs from under the Mobo and act as back lighting. The scribble marks you see is where im going to be cutting some holes for wires and power. One directly behind the mobo and one just behind the psu. Im doing this because i want the case to not have a front or back, well not as a front or back is classed in a normal computer case. Hopefully i will be able to fit all the components in the next few days. Im hoping to get some 140mm fans for the side panels in the next week or so
Old 16-05-16, 07:50 PM

this my look a tiny bit off, but i think its the angle of the photo, i think its coming together quite nicely atm, some things have moved because of the time of the mock up, i didnt take into account the GPU. the MOBO and the GPU are both attached with standoffs and bolts underneath to suspend them in the air so they dont touch the surface below. im waiting on a delivery from amazon with will have my new 140mm fans and some new thermal paste, so i can get rid of this old stuff and have a nice fresh cpu coolant also in the post (which i hope to get tomorrow) is a PCIe ribbon to go to my GPU. one thing i didnt cater for doing the mobo like this is the GPU didnt have any structure, so i had to lay it down and order a PCIe ribbon to connect it that way.
one thing i dont currently like about this is the unnecessary extra molex connectors on the wires, unfortunately i am on a budget and can only afford to upgrade bits every so often. i will do it, just not all at once.
at the moment i also have my LED strips placed behind the MOBO on the pieces of wood that i laid out in the previous post. (i think) the top and bottom are blue and the sides are red, but i wont know until i actually turn it on.
if you can also see i have moved the USB 3.0 to the lid of the case, they're glued on so when the case is shut and the front panel is on ill have complete access to the use of USB without having to dive into my case. everything inside is there to stay one its plugged in. if need be i will use a USB hub on my desk.

i think ive been doing this log for about 2 weeks or so now, but thanks for taking a look at my work up to now, just a reminder that all of this was done with hand tools, no power tools were used at all. it may not be shiny, glorious and expensive, but to me this is utter satisfaction being made from the ground up
Old 16-05-16, 08:11 PM
Bettyswollocks

This is the key to being a happy modder, to be proud of what you've created and get the satisfaction at the end result, to quote B-Negative "If you're not doing it for yourself, you're doing it wrong".

Keep it coming fella.
Old 17-05-16, 09:24 AM

Thanks dude, i appreciate it

Tags
build log, case modding, modding