Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 30-04-14, 11:07 PM

Dominator Heatsink for Vengeance

Hey guys,
I recently changed to an H105 so I can finally use some larger heat spreaders on my Low Profile Vengeance (32Gb). I was hoping you guys could tell me I can put the LED heat spreaders from the Dominator Platinum on it.
If so, where might one get those?

Thanks in advance!

-vT

Old 01-05-14, 12:50 AM
OC3D Elite

I've never seen any for sale and it's something I search ebay for every week, i'm still yet to get a bonkers fast kit for an exceptionally low price because nobody realized what it was! But i've been within a few £'s on about 3 kits and I will keep trying. I doubt there is anything with big spreaders you could pick up worth less than your memory to switch over as memory holds it's money really well. But that's a good thing, sell yours and trade up?

Or you know just get a water block and have a custom loop for your memory, I would imagine that would be cheaper than finding platinum heatsinks. That said there must be some on a shelf some place that somebody has chucked off to include their memory in their loop.

I always thought there must be a big pile of the aluminium light bars that have been discarded when people got the upgrade kit but i've never seen any. I wanted to experiment and have some plated/painted. Only seen it done once.

JR
Old 01-05-14, 09:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Ek monarch is a range they do for ram modules it replaces the standard hs with a hs with threads at the top so you can mount a water block to any ram stick but yiu could fab a light bar up im sure. Wouldnt be cheap but its not impossible
Old 01-05-14, 09:23 AM
The Guvnor

You cant buy them separately and your sticks dont have the LED's in, so youll need to do the simple thing and just buy some plats! Dont forget the lightbar mod you can buy too

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 01-05-14, 06:10 PM

"Just buy some plats"
Well If I do that, couldn't I just buy the 1600MHz kit for 350EUR and overclock it to 2133MHz (390EUR)?
Old 01-05-14, 06:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Potentially yes but it's not rated for the higher speed so there is absolutely no guarantee you will succeed and you would think if they 'could' have rated it higher then they would have to increase their profit margin. Selling a bunch of kits as 1600 when they could do 2400 on 1.65v would be a dumb move.

Logic would dictate bumping a 1.5v kit to 1.65v and loosening the timings would buy you a bit more speed but do you need it anyway? I don't I just bought the best 16GB 1.5v kit possible because I could at the time and it paid off when I moved to X79 because I had a quad channel kit already. If I was you i'd just buy the cheapest kit your happy with, say 1866, and see if you can get any free performance out of it, then if you get 2133 =winning or if not your still happy.

JR
Old 01-05-14, 10:54 PM

I do need at least 32 Gb. I currently run mine at 1333MHz and tight timings. It "feels" a little slow at times. Remember originally I just wanted to make them look nicer ^^
I guess I will wait until DDR4 and then upgrade Motherboard, chip and ram.
Still sad that there are no aftermarket LED heat spreaders
Old 01-05-14, 11:10 PM
OC3D Elite

I just don't think there is a huge market for for replacement ram heatspreaders, it's always been a relatively cheap component and it's not like most people would attempt to remove their heatspreaders as casually as a CPU or even GPU cooler. Also they aren't a massive feature aesthetically.

You have picked on like the most expensive memory available, there are a few other brands about with LED's like Avexir's that may be cheaper.

What CPU/motherboard do you have currently? Most recent chips (Sandy onwards) appreciate shear speed over tight timings, perhaps you would benefit better from loosening them and running it faster? Maybe it would be a good shout to just hold on to your LP's until you upgrade motherboard/cpu and go to DDR4. I guess that entirely depends on your strategy for upgrades and how strongly you value aesthetics right now.

JR
Old 01-05-14, 11:27 PM

Haswell CPU right now. The Avexir Core Series is 300 EUR, that might be an option. Can you recommend them as a manufacturer?
Old 01-05-14, 11:50 PM
OC3D Elite

If your on Haswell you will definitely want to try and run faster memory speed at the cost of tighter timings, that may be why you have the impression its slow. I would set your kit up to its stock speed and timings and if possible bump up the speed and loosen the timings accordingly.

I can't personally recommend Avexir as I have no experience with them, i've only ever had four Corsair kits and that's what i've always recommended and built for my friends. I don't doubt Corsair have a similar failure rate to most other notable brands but they are the best company to deal with regarding returns i've had experience with. I'm sure the Avexir kits aren't bad, I was discussing memory with one of the returns guys at OCUK and he said they didn't have much of it back in.

If you can squeeze a little more performance out of your current kit and live with the aesthetics for a while I would say you may be better holding out until you want to do a major upgrade. If it was me personally in your situation I would of probably bought a set of plats with the H105 but I spend far too much money at times. I guess you just have to think hard at how highly you value aesthetics, performance and money! But I don't think you will notice a lot more performance if you've got 1600MHz already, SSD's are the best thing to invest in performance wise in my opinion.

JR