Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 02-02-14, 01:20 PM

Corsair H110 + NZXT Kraken G10 = Mounting screws too short?

Hi there,

as the topic suggests and as seen in my signature I have a Sapphire R9 290X refitted with a Corsair H110 using the NZXT Kraken G10.

The mounting wasn't really a peace of cake but having mounted many different cooling solutions over the years on cpus and gpus I didn't really break a sweat... Well, except for...

Since the H110 has a clearance from NZXT to fit with the Kraken G10 I didn't expect too much problems and yet I came into something that's doesn't really leave my mind.

The foam applied on the backplate is very stiff. In fact it's so stiff that I found it quite hard to fit the screws and even harder to get them fastened. I only got to turn them approximately two or three windings.
Turning them further the PCB gets pressed so hard that it starts to bend and I recon that this isn't the way it's supposed to be.

I looked around the internet and didn't come across any thread in any forum where the problem is present so I'm asking myself if anyone had the same problem - if not with an R9 290x but with an other card - and did he solve it and if so how did he do it?

Since I'm going to be fitting some heatsinks onto the VRMs for the GPU to be able to turn down the fan blowing on the pcb in order to keep them cooled properly I'm going to exchange the foam on the backplate with a thermal pad I have from 3M. It's only 1,5mm thick and even is compressible without using much force. I believe the gained cooling won't have too much impact on the temperatures if any but hopefully I then can tighten the screws the way they need to be without stressing the pcb.

Old 03-02-14, 08:54 AM

Angry Same exact issue here I need some serious reassurance...

Same exact issue here I need some serious reassurance at this very second that the damn gtx780 of mine won't go kerplow on me when I boot up in a min.

I purchased what I believe was the h90? It's their hydro cooler but with a 140 mm rad with push pull support.

It uses the cylindrical pump/heatsink that you see on the kraken line of coolers as we'll as on some other corsair coolers like my h110

It took me at least 4 hours to rearrange my "work station" just where I was and what I had to do the install since the rads are already in my current build awaiting the g10s I preordered. Just got the 1 g10 for now.

Anyways the dang screws are too short, or the spacers are too thick, or something. I watched reviews where they were all remarking the ease of installation for the g10 with Nvidia cards over the amd cards (harder to mount? But better benchmark temps.)

Just assembling the thing onto my 780 was a nightmare in itself. I found that with what I had at the time my best bet was to get a solid surface to squeeze the gpu board to the back plate, I then put the casing on to align he screws so I could apply the heatsink, make a small turn. I've read wiggle turning heat sinks a lil' after you've applied them to the CPU but before screwing it down (corsairs hydro series makes that recommendation) so I figure this method could work.

I wound up trying the other g10s rad I have and just went ahead with the pre applied thermal. Even after all this I found you could line up all the screws but you still need to pinch the parts like a mad man just to get a turn or two in and that's focusing on just one corner.

Every time i tried for another screw it became twice as difficult and required I go back and unscrew each screw prior just to get any lil' extra inch I could get. Anything past two or two and one half turns on any of the screws visibly bent the board as well.

The main thing I'm worried about right now however is that during the process of installing the g10 the pre applied thermal paste from my h90 had been squished between the g10 and gpu, slid around a teensy bit, and the parts came apart super quick twice, so I don't know if I can even trust that terrible job i did which all comes back to the screws being too short.

Sorry for such a long post I'm exhausted, and keep in mind I did use the word screw to refer to the lil' header caps or what have you that screw onto the screws.

All this Bs and lack of online material for finding out anything about this issue has me thinking of getting my own screws or making a bracket or something to mod it easier to install lol
Old 03-02-14, 09:07 AM

Since there are safety measures in either NVidia and amd cards that kick in when the gpu gets too hot I wouldn't worry too much that your gpu will blow up. It'll 'just' power down to prevent damage.
I have my r9 290x running for over a week now and had no issues so far concerning the screws not holding despite the few windings.
I recon it won't hold forever since screws are quite stressed this way but I have all the parts together now that I ordered and I'm going to reassemble the cards this afternoon mounting the coolers on the vrms and exchanging the foam for the thermal pad.
Hopefully I can give you a heads up with the successful rearrangement.
Old 03-02-14, 09:36 AM

Thumbs up Can't wait to how your reassembly goes...

EDIT: I was just being over dramatic but yeah I was hoping for some sorta fail safe like that . Good to know

You guys are so much faster, we'll more experienced than myself so some of the lingo gets lost on me. You said you were gonna try thermal...? Instead of the foam. I find the foam to be kinda pointless myself too. What exactly are you guys gonna replace? Got any links or pics?

This is my first time opening up a gpu let alone installing a hydro/water cooler adapter encasing or what have you?

I keep stumbling across people talking about the VRAM especially, about how Nvidia cards run hotter than the AMDs in that respect. I was wondering off the bat if you can recommend anything I might wanna add or swap onto the g10/780 like I heard talk about VRAM heats sinks.

Glad there's finally a thread here where we can discuss the g10s issues. It's the only non newb thread or review link I could find and what luck th OP was in the boat as me at leas

I'm gonna stop typing before I go rogue rambling , lack of sleep + injury + meds + recovering from wisdom teeth being pulled makes typing fun and brain mushy lol
Old 03-02-14, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatta View Post
EDIT: I was just being over dramatic but yeah I was hoping for some sorta fail safe like that . Good to know

You guys are so much faster, we'll more experienced than myself so some of the lingo gets lost on me. You said you were gonna try thermal...? Instead of the foam. I find the foam to be kinda pointless myself too. What exactly are you guys gonna replace? Got any links or pics?

This is my first time opening up a gpu let alone installing a hydro/water cooler adapter encasing or what have you?

I keep stumbling across people talking about the VRAM especially, about how Nvidia cards run hotter than the AMDs in that respect. I was wondering off the bat if you can recommend anything I might wanna add or swap onto the g10/780 like I heard talk about VRAM heats sinks.

Glad there's finally a thread here where we can discuss the g10s issues. It's the only non newb thread or review link I could find and what luck th OP was in the boat as me at leas

I'm gonna stop typing before I go rogue rambling , lack of sleep + injury + meds + recovering from wisdom teeth being pulled makes typing fun and brain mushy lol
If I remember right reading different reviews it's correct that the VRAMs on NVidia-cards get warmer than on AMD-cards but it's not critical as long as you don't plan on overclocking or rather they run at reference speeds.
I'm going to place some heatsinks on the VRAMs nonetheless just in case I get cocky and want to overclock my baby.
For that purpose I ordered 2x Cooltek BGA RAM-coolers (2x because there are eight pieces in a package). I chose them because they are only 5mms high so I believe there won't be any height-issues.

I'll cover the VRMs because I want to be able to have the fan spin much lower but without the heatsinks they get very hot. For the VRMs I chose InLine 33955G. They have nearly the same color as the Cooltek heatsinks and should fit quite well on the VRMs. They're going to be fastened with adhesive thermal pads. I'll cut them in a way that the sides of the sinks are covered with adhesive as well so I won't have to worry about colliding with the condensators near the VRMs.
Else I swapped the 92mm-fan with an Arctic F9 PWM Rev.2 but only because I wasn't sure how the stock fan would perform in terms of air flow and sound levels. If the heatsinks perform well enough and I can reduce the speed of the fan to less than 50% duty cycle it'll barely be noticeable.

Finally I'm going to modify the backplate and replace the foam applied there. The foam itself is meant to be an insulator between backplate and condensators soldered to the back of the card. But either the condensators are too high or the foam is too stiff, either way mounting is way too hard and the pcb gets way too much pressure.
As written above I'll use a thermal pad but I was mistaken in dimensions.
It's not from 3m but from EC-360 and it's only 0.5mm thick.
Will have to see if one layer is enough or if I have to put more over each other.

More when I'm done...

Edit:
If I can manage I'll post a timeline with pictures what I did...
Old 03-02-14, 10:28 AM
born in a.....

The VRAM on 290x will fry really easily. You'll probably want to fit some of thse tiny heastsinks on them.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 03-02-14, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxxter View Post
I'm going to place some heatsinks on the VRAMs nonetheless...
Like I said...
Old 03-02-14, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxxter View Post
If I remember right reading different reviews it's correct that the VRAMs on NVidia-cards get warmer than on AMD-cards but it's not critical as long as you don't plan on overclocking or rather they run at reference speeds.
I'm going to place some heatsinks on the VRAMs nonetheless just in case I get cocky and want to overclock my baby.
For that purpose I ordered 2x Cooltek BGA RAM-coolers (2x because there are eight pieces in a package). I chose them because they are only 5mms high so I believe there won't be any height-issues.

I'll cover the VRMs because I want to be able to have the fan spin much lower but without the heatsinks they get very hot. For the VRMs I chose InLine 33955G. They have nearly the same color as the Cooltek heatsinks and should fit quite well on the VRMs. They're going to be fastened with adhesive thermal pads. I'll cut them in a way that the sides of the sinks are covered with adhesive as well so I won't have to worry about colliding with the condensators near the VRMs.
Else I swapped the 92mm-fan with an Arctic F9 PWM Rev.2 but only because I wasn't sure how the stock fan would perform in terms of air flow and sound levels. If the heatsinks perform well enough and I can reduce the speed of the fan to less than 50% duty cycle it'll barely be noticeable.

Finally I'm going to modify the backplate and replace the foam applied there. The foam itself is meant to be an insulator between backplate and condensators soldered to the back of the card. But either the condensators are too high or the foam is too stiff, either way mounting is way too hard and the pcb gets way too much pressure.
As written above I'll use a thermal pad but I was mistaken in dimensions.
It's not from 3m but from EC-360 and it's only 0.5mm thick.
Will have to see if one layer is enough or if I have to put more over each other.

More when I'm done...

Edit:
If I can manage I'll post a timeline with pictures what I did...
Wow sounds pretty damn technical n crazy then again I can't define condensations but I understand what VRAM is, just never seen it on a gpu or noticed.

I'm on my 2nd completely solo flight build (just got my wings n everything ) but for just myself I don't know any one irl that knows a thing going on in my latest build lol.

Alright so we're talking your gpu, r90 or somethin' u said? Pretty sure I'm thinking of the right one unless were both rocking 780s.
I believe your gpu was leading the pack for a while right? Was it the one before the Titan dropped or the first card to shut up the Titan making them get the 780 ball rolling?

I was thinking about heatsinks too (is that how u spell heatsink?) I actually have a 80mm CM blade master I tested it vs the pwm f8 and found it to be just as quiet controlled but provide more air when I want it. I have those more n some 15, 18, or 20mm thick 80mm fans I was using for my old CM haf x VGA bracket mods.

So from what I can tell your going 5mm heatsinks to fit under an f8 your gonna use as is or will you need to make adjustments? And the VRAM heatsinks u mentioned I was thinking of checking 'em out so I'm curious if u know if they have adhesive or what adhesive woulda advise a thermal pad?

Sorry for all the questions n all I'm still working on my PC, and then gotta clean up the room so I can crash since I tore the place apart to get a comfy setup to allow me to get the g10 on my 780 earlier. But yeah I plan to overclock ASAP but I gotta have a consistent build with no weirdness or problems for some time because I swear I have super weird bad luck with tech and computers, the kind where I have to have a pro come to the house and tell me he has never seen and or heard of what at the time is happening to me lol... So yeah I'm always walking in a minefield but to sure is fun XD

Anyways back to the gpus I know the foam on mine is in no way affecting the horrible screw/backplate mounting tightness issue.

You've gotta send me a link to your log I love checking out people's buildblogs I might start doing 'em cuz since I went from the whole haf x to nzxt phantom 630 to switch 810 all custom crazy with scavenged 630, to a sensible enthusiast switch 810 to now this concept style 810 I've been just minor Facebook blogging the process and it's a ton of fun.

I just glanced back at your post to see if I missed something to comment on, but I just realized your getting VRAM heatsinks and coolers for it, this all for your g10 setup gpu? I thought VRAM was built into the gpu and there was no changing it. You wouldn't happen to have any good neat or helpful VRAM links on hand would ya? relating to your topic to help me understand it all a bit better...

Just glanced again and noticed the mention of possibly frying the VRAM on the 290X? Man I really must be tired, who make the 290x and was that the crazy gpu leading the pack prior to the Titan or was it the gpu to take on the 780? Sorry I've been intel+Nvidia back since 7600s were good, the 8800s were just coming out and dual core CPUs were new or was that the first i3s I'm thinking of... Uh oh I'm rambling already lol.

So any tips or suggestions for my g10 780 ti? (Factory super clocked lucked out with an acx cooler on that one)

Also I'd love to know how stupid or whatever u think about this current closed loop nzxt switch 810 setup I'm working on is if that's okay with u and your all magical getting topically derailed thread (sorry) :P

The switch 810 was to get me to the point of dual water cooled GPUs and CPU all closed loop to save weight cost and have a silent overclockable build for the first time.
I'm using the modular HDR bays vertically as normal with only 2 SSDs in both racks since the corsair h90s for the GPUs don't reach if mounted directly to the front or bottom of the case for dual gpu dual closed loops I have 2 140mm intakes in front empty drive bays then each bay has a mount I modded to attach my 2 push pull 140mm h90 gpu coolers they pull air from the front intakes and exhaust I to the case at which point the 2 very lightweight but quiet bottom mounted fans push the air up where it is exhausted out the top through my push pull top mounted h110 and extra 140mm top mounted exhaust.
I have all 4 of my hdds Ina 3 to 4 DVD drive bay converter with mountable 120mm as intake. Only other notes are a 140mm rear exhaust and pus exhausting case air. I love talking case air flow and I think I went too crazy but I just love the idea the look the flow and the sound all controllable. I'm not worried about case air pressure much but there's a fan filter or filter everywhere where one would be needed. So what are your opinions/ thoughts?

Switch 810 is using dual GTI 780 ti super clocked cards, 24 @gmail.com corsair vengeance 1600mhz red ram, core i7 3960x, win7 Samsung 840 ( st gen ver, 512gb) drive, Samsung 840 evo 512gb win8, corsair ax1200i and all in an Asus rampage IV extreme mono (normal version) this build collectively has been almost 2 years in the making lol (that's all just incase u wanted to know what is running in the case)

Feel free to just decline any comments I've requested from you like I've been saying I'm in ramble mode lol
Old 03-02-14, 11:48 AM

Holy wall of text so sorry for that, the later it gets the worse I get lol

EDIT: damn u iOS chrome lost paragraphs of info 3 times now so time to keep it short and sweet lol

Getting off the corsair link tip I loved so much cuz of terrible experience and product comparability but I can still setup an led profile which I'm soon to do then I can uninstall corsair link and the system stays stable.

So now I'm getting back to the world of manual fan controlling and I'm loving it "nzxt sentry 2 mix" 6 fan control for my gpu rad push pull intake and the other 2 related intakes

Then I found this lovely combo with evercool's twister single fan controller hooked into an nzxt grid (10 3 pin controllable fan splitter for control of all my exhaust fans and my h110 exhaust setup

And amazingly all maxed and all at min are so quiet u can't tell the difference when gaming with speakers it blew me away.... There's only one loud part which is the CM jetflo 120mm intake fan for the hdd rack which I keep sound wise on par with the other fans

... And I said short and sweet *facepalm*
Old 03-02-14, 03:11 PM

I'm back...

K now, I'm back but seems my preparation was quite sloppy and I didn't get to finish the whole project to my satisfaction but at least I have gained some major improvements to before...
What's missing is the heatsinks for the VRAM since the ones I got are too big... Should have measured in advance...

But please consider this mini-log only as very temporary as I will finish the project shortly...

Here some impressions of the graphics-infrastructure...

The hot chick...

The cool guy...

The sidekicks...

The one for all...

This is how it looked like when ripped apart...

The impressionist...

The naked...

The hot-heads...

So while taking the pictures I noticed that the rubber-washers (three for every screw -> Two for the plastic spacer and one for the thumb-nut) were not really that much compressed and so I figured like mentioned that the foam wasn't the problem so I skipped the part of replacing it.
Instead I just removed those rubbers et voila... The nuts can be fastened much further now though they can't be fastened all the way because then the pcb still would be bent but now six windings easily can be attained so it should now really be safe.

These are the troublemakers...

And this is the screw after removing the washers just before mounting the nuts...

After realizing that the heatsinks for the VRMs were quite small in height and that the adhesive thermal pad won't hold very well when bent up and being used as insulator between the heatsink and the big capacitors I switched to packet tape as insulator and only used the thrmal pad on the bottom of the heatsinks.

Now here's the mounted heatsinks...

And this is what it looks like when the Kraken is refitted...

Sorry for the bad quality of the pcitures but I only have my iphone4 to use at the moment...

I'm going to look into getting the right heatsinks for the VRAMs so I can make a complete build-log for my graphics card...

The current infrastructure contains:

- Sapphire R9 290X
- Corsair H110
- 4x Bitfenix Sprectre Pro PWM
- Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-ST
- Mini-PWM-to-PWM-Adapter
- Arctic F9 PWM Rev. 2
- InLine 33955G

More is to be seen...

And yes... The tape will be cut properly aswell...

Oh yeah... Before I leave... The VRMs I put the heatsinks on are for the GPU and when running the MSI Kombustor temps go down from ~95°c to ~50°C. I'll try how far I can reduce the speed of the Arctic F9.
The VRMs for the VRAM don't get warmer then ~60°C so I'm thinking of maybe not mounting a heatsink since they are not easy to cover and I don't plan on ocing any time soon but if I can cut one of the heatsinks that now are of real use to me with edges that are nice to see then I'm going to cool them as well...

I hope I didn't forget anything... Have fun reading...