Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 13-01-14, 12:31 AM

my refurb h100 is loud

Is it normal for a refurb h100 to be loud.
the fans i installed on it are SP120s quiet and performance in push/pull(quiet edition).
what test should I make determine which one is loud. Can i run the pump without the fans? a step-by-step method would be very helpful.

Old 13-01-14, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm....a refurb with issues....shocking!

IMHO dude, H100s (even i's) aren't that expensive and when it comes to CPU cooling, I would never go refurb personally. Do yourself a favor and don't try to go cheap where it counts.
Corsair AX860i PSU | Corsair Obsidian 350D | Corsair SF 120 HPE HSP (Rads) / AF 120 PE (Case)
Old 13-01-14, 01:26 AM
OC3D Elite

If you want to determine whether it's the fans that are loud or the pump, then unplug the fans and see what the pump sounds like. You could unpower everything except the fans, and jump the 24pin connector (just Google it) so you hear just the fans alone too.

You'll be fine doing this as long as you don't take the mick with how long you leave the fans off for, but just to be safe, do it at idle, and watch your temps.

Old 13-01-14, 08:44 AM
born in a.....

What case do you have? Sounds odd I know but if the pump is horizontal it can make more noise (in my experience).
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 13-01-14, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Some people don't have money to buy new. Maybe he found for some cheap price 50-60$, who knows... CORSAIR all in one pumps are famous to make noise sometimes. Special H100 but and H100i. Example I hear pump only when controller is on low but on balanced and performance no such noise and I use on Balanced speed.
I was to lazy to go on RMA because that.
After few weeks noise stop completely and on low speed.
I suggest you to try to connect fans on some other controller or fan header and controller on max with 3 lights.
EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB K|NGP|N Classified #33
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 1866MHz (2x4G
CORSAIR Force GT 120/WD500AAKS
EVGA NEX1500 Classified/Seasonic X-750
CORSAIR Obsidian 650D
Logitech G510/G700/C310/ Samsung P2450H
Old 13-01-14, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
Some people don't have money to buy new. Maybe he found for some cheap price 50-60$, who knows... CORSAIR all in one pumps are famous to make noise sometimes. Special H100 but and H100i. Example I hear pump only when controller is on low but on balanced and performance no such noise and I use on Balanced speed.
I was to lazy to go on RMA because that.
After few weeks noise stop completely and on low speed.
I suggest you to try to connect fans on some other controller or fan header and controller on max with 3 lights.
If he can't afford to by it new, he should find something within his budget that is new (Perhaps air cooling until he can afford an H100 new.) Trusting your CPU to a refurb or even second-hand watercooler is stupid IMO.

Quite frankly, if you can't afford an H100 new, I somewhat doubt you would actually need one for the CPU anyway, given that it's probably cheap itself.
Corsair AX860i PSU | Corsair Obsidian 350D | Corsair SF 120 HPE HSP (Rads) / AF 120 PE (Case)
Old 14-01-14, 02:15 PM

I moved my components to a diff case and test each one with the paperclip method. And i found out that the fans are making the noise and what surprised me is that my fan controller is the culprit if the annoying noise maybe its faulty because its making a rattling sound the one you hear when a hdd is dying. I never connect the fans in h100 onto it. I connect it through the pump.
My question is now how can I lower the rpm of the fans in
H100 because its always on max thats why its like a hair dryer.

By the way my case was a modded Cosmos1000. I have to mod it again to fix the rad mounting hole the screw holes are kinda mess up.My current one now is a midgard ii which i do not like that much but i dont have a choice.

Please dont hate my refurb h100. I just bought because of its 1year warranty and also to try liquid cooling. And its my first built pc expect some mistakes like my cosmos1000 spent money on tools to mod it instead of buying a proper case like 750d. 4670k on z87 gd65 powered by an ax760 some of my current specs.

My other question is it worth it to get a h100i (new) to replace my current h100(refurb)?
Old 14-01-14, 06:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Your H100 fans should slow down and rev up depending on the fan profile you select from the pump. Have you tried doing that? There are 3 profile that you can select from; quiet, balance, and performance. Different profile will have different fan rpm ranges with respect to CPU temp. Fan profile explained.

If the fan rpm is stuck at a certain rpm, then you may have to reset the cooler's firmware. To reset the FW;

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds
2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run
3. Shut down your computer
4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer

And yes, new H100i is a good upgrade from an H100 refurb.
Old 14-01-14, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_beard View Post
Your H100 fans should slow down and rev up depending on the fan profile you select from the pump. Have you tried doing that? There are 3 profile that you can select from; quiet, balance, and performance. Different profile will have different fan rpm ranges with respect to CPU temp. Fan profile explained.

If the fan rpm is stuck at a certain rpm, then you may have to reset the cooler's firmware. To reset the FW;

1. While the computer is running, hold down the profile button for approximately five seconds
2. Wait one minute, while the unit continues to run
3. Shut down your computer
4. Press and hold the profile button for five seconds while turning on the power to your computer

And yes, new H100i is a good upgrade from an H100 refurb.
This explains a lot instead thanks. would it be a good idea to wait for H105?
Old 14-01-14, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJames View Post
This explains a lot instead thanks. would it be a good idea to wait for H105?
Depends on what case and mobo you have. From my understanding the H105 is slightly thicker than the H100i. Some cases are already a very tight fit for the H100i and might not fit the H105 over mobo sinks.