Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 20-10-13, 11:03 AM

Corsair AX860i Red Light

Purchased the power supply from OCUK last year and has been brilliant untill early this week, when I came home from work and tried to power my system up. The only way I could power my system up was to pull all the leads out and press the self test button which seemed to work and my system once again worked...........for a couple of days.

The second time it stopped I was browsing the net and it just closed down instantly. It has done this two more times and the last time my system had to do a chkdsk, before booting into windows.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have my system on a power surge extension lead and have never had a problem before. I would say the Corsair PSU is faulty, but do not have any idea how I could test this.

Old 22-10-13, 08:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Have you done the self test after the two consecutive shutdowns? When you do the self test, make sure that you unplug everything from the PSU, no cables at all. Then hold the power test button and see if the PSU will turn on.

I does sound like the PSUm but I wanted to make sure that it fails the power self test first before saying for sure.
Old 23-10-13, 12:01 AM

Yes Grey, I have pressed the self test and it comes back on and everything is ok for almost a day then bang it shuts down again "Red Light" Everytime this has happened I get the "Red Light", but once I have pulled the leads and done the self test everything is back to normal. I have no way of telling if this is my PSU or something else.
Old 23-10-13, 12:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Thanks for the update HardTarget. It feels like something is triggering the PSU to shutdown. Have you checked the 12V, 5V, and 3V rail in the BIOS? all values should be within +/- 5%. Do you have a spare PSU? or maybe borrow one from a friend? If you can test it with a different PSU and if it works fine, chances are, it is the PSU.
Old 23-10-13, 05:32 PM

PC closed down again as I was trying to reply to your post. Checked the BIOS and the 12v and 5v are stable, but the 3v is 3.280v. I can not test the PSU with another and really don't want to ask my friend to strip out his PSU so I can test my system.
Old 25-10-13, 04:36 PM
OC3D Elite

3.280 is good, well within in spec.. although this is only a ball park figure, due to BIOS or any Software reading are not always accurate, but at least the value is not way off. If you really want to know your voltages, you want to measure it using a DMM.

Replacing your PSU is not a problem, it's just I am not 100% sure if this is a PSU issue, could be a board issue as well.

Let's try getting it replaced. Submit a ticket here and let me know the ticket # so I can help to speed up the process.
Old 25-10-13, 08:21 PM

Thanks for your help Grey, but I going to ask Overclockers UK if I can send this back and replace it with another brand of PSU as it's not even 12 months old and it seems to be a very common fault from what I have read on other forums. Really appreciate your help thanks mate.
Old 25-10-13, 10:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTarget View Post
Thanks for your help Grey, but I going to ask Overclockers UK if I can send this back and replace it with another brand of PSU as it's not even 12 months old and it seems to be a very common fault from what I have read on other forums. Really appreciate your help thanks mate.
No problem at all. I hope you get this issue sorted out
Old 27-10-13, 12:29 PM

Back again, Overclockers UK won't change the PSU for another brand and want me to deal with Corsair direct as the supply has a 7 year warranty.

Ticket Number 6206077, any help would be really appreciated Grey.

My PSU has deteriorated since my last post and I have to pull all the leads out and press the self test at least five times before I get my system to boot. This morning it would not even boot after pressing the self test instead the light remained red. I left it for 30 minutes and then tried again and success my system started. Not sure how long this will continue before it finally packs in.

system:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel Core i7-3960X
Corsair AX860i
Corsair Dominator GT 16Gb
CaseLabs Merlin SM8
Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Samsung S27A950D
ASUS Xonar D2X
Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO
Old 28-10-13, 04:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Hi HardTarge, got that approved for you. I've responded to your ticket as well. If you'd like to avoid downtime for your system, I'd suggest that phone in our customer service and request for an Express RMA. That way they can send out the replacement first so you can continue to use your system while in the process of RMA.