Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 16-09-13, 01:16 PM
OC3D Crew

^ I've come up with a cool idea to help with cable management. I would show you guys but i want to finish mine first before my ideas get copied :P

Old 16-09-13, 02:20 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocent159 View Post
build looks awesome cant wait for next update>
Thanks man, I'll keep you guys up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris230291 View Post
Its looking good man!
Are you going to watercool?
Thank you, I designed the case so that it can fit a 60mm thick 360 rad in the front, but atm I don't have the time to build a custom loop. But I certainly plan to watercool asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Cable routing could be interesting.. with the fact you have no rear panel to remove.
It won't be as easy as in a normal modern case, but once I've routed the 8, 24 and the two 8 pins for the mb and gpu plus the cables for the SSD and the fans behind the mb tray I won't need to change it again in the coming years as I don't plan to go SLI or Crossfire.
I'll let you know how it went once I've sleeved my PSU
Old 16-09-13, 02:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarc View Post
Thank you, I designed the case so that it can fit a 60mm thick 360 rad in the front, but atm I don't have the time to build a custom loop. But I certainly plan to watercool asap.
Cool. I wanted to go 360 but my design is more suited to two 240x45's as i wanted to keep the optical drive.

Have you got any plans for where the drives used to be? I did think about loosing the optical draw/tray and putting a temp readout display thing in there.

Old 16-09-13, 03:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Cool. I wanted to go 360 but my design is more suited to two 240x45's as i wanted to keep the optical drive.

Have you got any plans for where the drives used to be? I did think about loosing the optical draw/tray and putting a temp readout display thing in there.
Once I fit the watercooling loop, the rad and the PSU will take up pretty much all the space up there, so I don't plan to put anything else up there atm. I'm going to add a plate in the front to cover up the area where the rad will go and I'll mount the SSD to this plate. I'd also like to make a cover for the PSU out of the piece with the two G5 logos that was located over the CPU coolers, still thinking about how I get it done best.
Old 19-09-13, 03:45 PM
OC3D Crew

Here's a little preview of what's coming next:

Old 19-09-13, 11:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Ah yes, cable pr0n!

I had the same tool kit from Phobya, the ATX pin remover did not work very well at all for me. Almost
couldn't get the pins out and after a few pins it broke. I've heard some PSUs are easier than others though.

If it should turn out to give you trouble as well, the official Molex tool is this one. It works very
well and you can get it in Lutro0's shop (shipping costs and times are pretty reasonable for a
transatlantic journey), Nils from MDPC-X or on eBay (just search for the part No.). If you get it
on eBay be careful though, some people are offering it at ridiculously inflated prices.
Old 21-09-13, 12:13 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenwasser View Post
Ah yes, cable pr0n!

I had the same tool kit from Phobya, the ATX pin remover did not work very well at all for me. Almost
couldn't get the pins out and after a few pins it broke. I've heard some PSUs are easier than others though.

If it should turn out to give you trouble as well, the official Molex tool is this one. It works very
well and you can get it in Lutro0's shop (shipping costs and times are pretty reasonable for a
transatlantic journey), Nils from MDPC-X or on eBay (just search for the part No.). If you get it
on eBay be careful though, some people are offering it at ridiculously inflated prices.
So far it didn't break but you're right for some pins you have to pull really hard to get them out. Hopefully I can get the whole PSU done without breaking any pins or the tool.

Here's how my first sleeved cables turned out:

the tools I used....

...including this little thing I made to put over the pin to get it through the paracord. I tried masking tape first but it really didn't work for me.

On the PSU side I had to use heatshrink on two wires as two ground pins on the card side go into one pin on the PSU.

Overall the two 6+2 pin cable turned out quite nice and the paracord alpenwasser recommended to me is very nice quality and easy to work with.
Old 21-09-13, 01:45 PM
OC3D Crew

That looks really neat

Old 21-09-13, 02:40 PM

that looks really neat

and let's hope you don't get to many blisters from the sleeving
Old 21-09-13, 03:25 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
That looks really neat
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Weasel View Post
that looks really neat

and let's hope you don't get to many blisters from the sleeving
Thanks man, yes burning your fingers seems to be part of sleeving without heatshrink, usually when it hurts the most the paracord melts really nicely around the pin and forms a strong connection so the pain should be worth it

Tags
case, mod, powermac