Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 20-02-12, 02:38 PM

Okay, so I've had my current system for about a month now and I've got a few questions about overclocking my i7 2600K to 4.5GHz - everytime I try to do this, it fails...either BSOD or just crashing before the system even boots up. I've had to reload to fail-safe defaults multiple times now. Usually, I use "EasyTune" 6 or whatever it's called and click on 4.2GHz overclock - since it's easier; but I've heard this isn't a proper overclock. Now, I've tried multiple times to overclock, but something unusual is I can't find my CPU Vcore in the BIOS - I mean IT USED TO BE THERE but not it's gone, so is Load Line Calibration etc...I've looked at other people's BIOS and seen that those settings are there - why did they disappear all of a sudden? Anyway, when I had a 4.2GHz clock using that program I had a Vcore voltage of 1.380 - which I couldn't change. I'll give you some ideas of my rig and specs:

Case: HAF-X

CPU: i7 2600K

GPU: XFX 7970 (OC+DD)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

HDD: OCZ Agility SSD (OS) + 1TB Seagate Main

I'm using a stock Intel Cooler, but I'm going to buy a H100 soon. Also, both panels of my case are open just so I'm ready to put in the extra components when needed.

Can anyone tell me why I can't overclock to 4.5GHz or why I can't change or find my CPU Vcore in the BIOS?

Old 20-02-12, 02:42 PM
OC3D Elite

that mobo has a pretty poor bios tbh mate.

vcore is called dvid (i think) and its an offset so you set it to +40mv and it adds 0.04v to your stock voltage.

easytune is good but dont use the basic tab, change to the advanced and use it to set the right volts and multi for what you want.

i would bet you can get 4.5ghz with almost 0 offset and just enabling the pll overvolt and setting it too x45 with llc on.
Old 20-02-12, 02:46 PM

[s]Maybe there is a oveclocking mode your can change from auto to manual and it brings up some voltage options. I dont know..[/s] but 4.5Ghz on stock cooler??? I would't.
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz 4x4GB
GPU: EVGA GTX580
OS Drive: Corsair force GT 120GB
3930k @ 5.2Ghz
Old 20-02-12, 03:07 PM

So, when I look at my voltages and stuff this is what I see, it's all extremely confusing to me....

Then here is the Frequency tab:

and here is the Ratio tab:

So, what do I change?
Old 20-02-12, 03:41 PM

Ignore what I previously said on this post. I'm not confident what I said is safe to do.

What I will say is when you get the H100 try auto overclocking it with multiplier 45x then put the base clock back to 100MHz. From there just get the lowest DVID possible without it failing IBT on high with 10 or so runs.
// Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Noctua NH-D14 // Crucial M4 64GB // Samsung F3 1TB
WD Caviar Black 2TB // Corsair AX750
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250Ω // Schiit Modi+Magni
Old 20-02-12, 03:55 PM
OC3D Elite

you will need to enable real time multi changes in os in the bios to use et6 to change the multi but it is showing you there the options you have in the bios. (you can just tick the box and restart your pc btw )

can you see the dvid is an offset? so once you find the multi limit at your current vcore you just use it to add more, of course what it adds up to depends upon your cpu as its vid is the starting point.

like i said i bet with just llc and pll overvolt turned on it will get 4.5ghz.
Old 20-02-12, 03:58 PM
OC3D Elite

One thing I noticed about the ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 - just changed the multiplier to 45..

.. and it worked.