Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 24-09-17, 07:28 PM

Question M.2 Bandwith usages!

I'm going to be purchasing an Asus z270 WS mobo and when using the M.2 in the M.2_2 slot it says, "The M.2_2 socket shares bandwidth with U.2_2 connector and SATA6G_1 port".

I'll be using the Samsung 960 EVO 250mb version as an OS drive that will be partitioned. SATA Port 1 will be used for my Blu-Ray drive. Will performance be degraded for this M.2 since it shares bandwidth with SATA Port 1?

Old 24-09-17, 08:01 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn View Post
I'm going to be purchasing an Asus z270 WS mobo and when using the M.2 in the M.2_2 slot it says, "The M.2_2 socket shares bandwidth with U.2_2 connector and SATA6G_1 port".

I'll be using the Samsung 960 EVO 250mb version as an OS drive that will be partitioned. SATA Port 1 will be used for my Blu-Ray drive. Will performance be degraded for this M.2 since it shares bandwidth with SATA Port 1?
I assume you mean this motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...pecifications/

In the case of the M.2_2 port, the SATA port will only be disabled when you use an M.2 drive that runs on SATA mode. So a proper NVMe drive will not disable the SATA port. When using a NVMe/PCIe device only the U.2 port will be disabled.

In your use case, this should not be a problem, as the M.2 slot will only use the SATA bandwidth if it is using a drive in SATA mode, which it won't do with the Samsung 960 Evo.
Old 24-09-17, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I assume you mean this motherboard?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...pecifications/

In the case of the M.2_2 port, the SATA port will only be disabled when you use an M.2 drive that runs on SATA mode. So a proper NVMe drive will not disable the SATA port. When using a NVMe/PCIe device only the U.2 port will be disabled.

In your use case, this should not be a problem, as the M.2 slot will only use the SATA bandwidth if it is using a drive in SATA mode, which it won't do with the Samsung 960 Evo.
Thank you for your quick reply. Greatly appreciated!

P.S. are you familar with installing an OS on a M.2 drive?