Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 02-05-14, 03:10 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualTune View Post
Well sounds like Dual Xeon might be the better option for Cores/$$$.
You do know a dual socket Xeon board will set you back £400 and then each Xeon CPU will cost at least £600 right ?
You would be spending near £2000 just for a motherboard and CPU which is just crazy.

- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 02-05-14, 03:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
so I'll be waiting for Broadwell Extreme in a year or so? Well sounds like Dual Xeon might be the better option for Cores/$$$. Thanks for spelling it out for me JR!
before my 4770 I had a 930, such a pleasant upgrade
I am assuming that Broadwell-E will support DDR4 then, or is that still stuck on DDR3?
As much as I like the looks of the LED Ram, 400 EUR is a lot of money just for looks. I think I will stick with my current setup and focus on the GPU next. I feel like I am making a mistake by upgrading everything at once. I also really need to fix my cable management - no LEDs in the world can distract from that
I'm not sure a pair of Xeon's is the best way to go but certainly sticking with your DDR3 kit until DDR4 is better established sounds like a fantastic idea either Z107 or X99 (Broadwell-E) seem like a sensible place to start with a serious upgrade for those on Haswell or Ivy-E currently. And like you say cable management is far more significant aesthetically! Performance wise SSD's and GPU's seem like a better way to throw some money away.

Also I think it's pretty much confirmed there will be an 8-core Haswell-E chip so if you are after more cores, have way too much cash and are still a bit of a gamer then that's probably going to be better price/performance wise than Xeon's. We will have to wait and see but I do know it will be catastrophically expensive! As you try and move into the very top tier of parts you have to pay a wedge load more for a tiny bit of performance.

JR
Old 02-05-14, 04:11 PM

You'd be surprised how cheap 6 core xeons are right now. Of course they wouldn't be e7, only e5
Anyways, I am certainly after more cores, but I won't spend 1000+ on a CPU ^^
Somone still owes me a Titan Black, but it could take a couple monts before I get that. Might just buy a GTX780 with 6Gb.
Old 02-05-14, 04:13 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
You'd be surprised how cheap 6 core xeons are right now. Of course they wouldn't be e7, only e5
Anyways, I am certainly after more cores, but I won't spend 1000+ on a CPU ^^
Somone still owes me a Titan Black, but it could take a couple monts before I get that. Might just buy a GTX780 with 6Gb.
Someone "Owes" you a Titan Black ? sounds interesting lol
- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 02-05-14, 04:15 PM
OC3D Elite

What's the point in getting one 6GB 780? If you were going to get 3 then I understand but 2 isn't really enough graphical power to run into memory limits. If your just running one card then a 780Ti would make the most sense really, or you know free Titan black I wouldn't complain!

JR
Old 02-05-14, 04:41 PM

Its a long story Dicehunter.
As far as VRam goes, more will allow me more particles in the live view when working in 3D.