Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Corsair Customer Care Forum

Old 03-02-14, 05:16 PM
OC3D Elite

If your unsure of the quality of the adhesive on the VRM heatsink, i'd personally purchase some Enzotech low profile VRM sinks. They're individual VRM heatsinks that have great adhesive, never had an issue with them.

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cust...pid-13377.html

Also pick up some low profile Alpenfohn VRAM heatsinks

Old 03-02-14, 05:48 PM

*golf clap* just amazing I'm gonna get rid of those washers right away I had only noticed the one per nut and didn't think it would make enough of a difference. I have two awesome reasons to redo the g10 yay. Reason two is cuz there's a part to the ACX cooler I got with it that I wanna try putting back on for looks and hopefully some help however much help it will be in terms of disipating heat. Thanks so much, I could care less that they're iPhone 4 photos I've managed just fine with muuuch worse quality wise plenty :P
Old 03-02-14, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthud1 View Post
If your unsure of the quality of the adhesive on the VRM heatsink, i'd personally purchase some Enzotech low profile VRM sinks. They're individual VRM heatsinks that have great adhesive, never had an issue with them.

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cust...pid-13377.html

Also pick up some low profile Alpenfohn VRAM heatsinks
The adhesive itself holds very good if only used to stick onto the VRMs as I did now but I wanted to bend it up the side where the six big capacitors are to use it as 'wall' between capacitor and heatsink because one of the contacts faces directly to the VRMs so short circuiting has to prevented.

Looking at the Alpenfoehn-set there seem to be only ten low-profile-heatsinks in there and the higher ones seem to be quite high and I fear that they might touch the Kraken.
Can anyone confirm that they fit on the VRAMs of the R9-series?

Edit:
I was able to reduce the speed of the F9 to 60% (I presume I could go further down but running msi's kombustor I still hit around 90°c while when folding temps stay at around 57°c) and it's now less loud than the pump of the H110 so in general the only noticeable parts now of my system are the pump and the fan of my bequiet! dark power pro p9 850w. I need to mention though that the components are not yet mounted to any case since I haven't yet found one that a.) can hold this board (while there are many around) and b.) hits my taste (there the trouble begins)
Old 03-02-14, 06:37 PM

Thumbs up Quick GPU redo tips for the actual GPU part of the job swapping them sinks...

Can I get some quick info on anything I should know about thermal paste and swapping heatsinks for GPUs compared to CPUs?

I've done my home work on CPU thermal n heatsink related manners. I read the manuals and site/company recommendations so I can swap CPU heatsinks for days with my arcticlean and non alcoholic wet and dry lint free disposable cloths. Then get some arctic silver 5 out so I can tint the surfaces as recommended by arctic silver and to use the line method spread based on their recommendation for my CPU apply pressure give it a tiny lil' twist before tightening down.

As for a GPU I didn't know where to start lookin but online and arctic silver 5 sounded like a "get the job done" paste not the "almost holy grail" paste rep I'm used to reading about for CPUs. So I just prepped the surfaces tinted just the h90s block and used the grain of rice method.

That sound about the right way to do it?

I just wanna make sure I do it to the best of my current capabilities not the slop that it is at the moment 'till I take them washers off
Old 03-02-14, 06:48 PM

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you only use thermal paste that is NOT conducting electricity because (like back in the days of the athlon xp where the die was not covered by a heatspreader) else you'll shortcurcuit the tiny capacitors (not condensators as I falsly stated earlier) and destroy the card.
Be careful when applying the cooling unit since the die lies open.
The rest is like when if you're changing the heatsink on a cpu.
When applying thermal paste I used the stripe-method and like seen on the pictures it works very well. Using this method you place a rhin stripe (mine was about 1mm thick) from one end to the other in the middle the die. Don't let the stripe go exactly to the edges but stop at about 2-3mm to each end so the paste can spread but not be squeezed out and you should be good to go.
What I do though before fastening the screws tight I turn the cooling-unit slightly from left to right a few times to enhance the spreading of the paste but it's not necessary.
Old 08-02-14, 10:19 PM

Sounds just like how i would have done it, but i lost a thumb screw so now im finally back at it now that i found the SoB screw that was hiding lol. Okay so any cue if arctic silver 5 can conduct electricity? Im guessing it doesnt since i read on several forums people saying its not the best for using with the g10 or closed loop g10 like gpu cooling mods, but that it works fine.

I was going to use the grain of rice method since that seemed to be the most popular and recommended way of doing any cpu, but i go as arctic silver recommends for an i7 cpu, which is the stripe method you mentioned.

So i mounted the plate from the acx cooler back on the gpu and read that it assists in cooling certain parts of the GPU but it did not meniton that it was for cooling the vram. Is the vram the metallic boxes labeled R22 on the gtx 780 ti? Just do a quick googe images search to see what im referring to. If so i figure ill get some sorta heatsink setup going for it other wise if the plate is covering the vram i might still add tiny heatsink fins if i can find small enough ones. Any chance you could post a pic of your setup since you mentioning using some sorta heatsink setup for the vram.

Also, im making a thread regarding the cooling direction of the fans and my current case setup since its quite unique or unorthodox. Id love it if you could check it out when you have the time.
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=60184

- Thanks for your time =)

EDIT: sorry just now remembered/noticed you already posted all the pix I need so I'm guessing I know what the VRAM is on the board wouldn't it be possible if not better to mount the heatsink directly on the VRAM? In your pix it look like the heatsink u mounted on the board running along the VRAM.
Old 10-02-14, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatta View Post
Sounds just like how i would have done it, but i lost a thumb screw so now im finally back at it now that i found the SoB screw that was hiding lol. Okay so any cue if arctic silver 5 can conduct electricity? Im guessing it doesnt since i read on several forums people saying its not the best for using with the g10 or closed loop g10 like gpu cooling mods, but that it works fine.

I was going to use the grain of rice method since that seemed to be the most popular and recommended way of doing any cpu, but i go as arctic silver recommends for an i7 cpu, which is the stripe method you mentioned.

So i mounted the plate from the acx cooler back on the gpu and read that it assists in cooling certain parts of the GPU but it did not meniton that it was for cooling the vram. Is the vram the metallic boxes labeled R22 on the gtx 780 ti? Just do a quick googe images search to see what im referring to. If so i figure ill get some sorta heatsink setup going for it other wise if the plate is covering the vram i might still add tiny heatsink fins if i can find small enough ones. Any chance you could post a pic of your setup since you mentioning using some sorta heatsink setup for the vram.

Also, im making a thread regarding the cooling direction of the fans and my current case setup since its quite unique or unorthodox. Id love it if you could check it out when you have the time.
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=60184

- Thanks for your time =)

EDIT: sorry just now remembered/noticed you already posted all the pix I need so I'm guessing I know what the VRAM is on the board wouldn't it be possible if not better to mount the heatsink directly on the VRAM? In your pix it look like the heatsink u mounted on the board running along the VRAM.
The VRAMs are the black rectangles aligned around the gpu-core on the picture "the naked."
On your card(s) they are mounted nearly the same way.

The time I took the pictures I mounted the heatsinks on the VRMs supplying the gpu-core.

To clarify there are the memory of the graphics card (VRAMs) and the voltage regulator modules (VRMs). Sorry if you got confused.

I think I'll be able to finish my modification this week since my VRAM-coolers arrived the past days.
I ordered two packages of EKL Alpenföhn passive coolers so stay tuned.
Old 10-02-14, 03:23 AM

Ah okay that makes more sense thanks, yeah I think I just wasted 60 bux for unneeded heatsinks and rushed shipping lol. Maybe I'll use 'em over the ACX plate who knows. As is the plate has thermal pads or what have you covering the black squares so the whole plate is acting like a heatsink but the fans location on the g10 makes no sense if the black squares are my VRMs or VRAM the fan is blowing on the bottom half of the card which looks to have smaller black squares and the more silvery metallic squares which I thought was my VRM. Also i thought VRM and VRAM were literally the same thing just shorter to use VRM... Lol pardon the ignorance on my part and no need whatsoever to apologize.

I'm lost in this awesome world of technology, no friends that are ever even literally touching desktops, so all I got are these forums. My past experiences chatting on an unnamed forum went down pretty badly and disappointing in different instance so I've been trying going at it rogue lately in terms of figuring anything out and or deciding on stuff and or components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxxter View Post
I think I'll be able to finish my modification this week since my VRAM-coolers arrived the past days.
I ordered two packages of EKL Alpenföhn passive coolers so stay tuned.
Wait what isn't that basically a regular aftermarket gpu air cooler? I've seen some cool ones but I thought u had a g10 on your current setup... What exactly is this mod your gonna be trying out?
Old 10-02-14, 03:01 PM

The VRAMs themselves don't get that hot in relation to the VRMs so I think that's the reason why the 92mm-fan is blowing onto that area.
That little air-flow that gets to the ram-modules is enough if you place heatsinks on them to be sure. Until now I didn't have any temperature issues with the rams not having the heatsinks on though.
The vrms are another part though they are awesomely happy having gotten the heatsinks mounted in terms of temperature. Having mounted some there tempereatures dropped from over 90°C to something below 60°C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatta View Post
Wait what isn't that basically a regular aftermarket gpu air cooler? I've seen some cool ones but I thought u had a g10 on your current setup... What exactly is this mod your gonna be trying out?
You're right on that part. Mounting the H110 using the Kraken G10 is one part and that is finished.
But to get the 92mm-fan reduced in speed in order to get it silent the also reduced air-fow has to be compensated with passive heatsinks mounted to VRMs and VRAMs for them not to get fried.
The heatsinks for the VRMs are mounted as of yet as shown on the pictures but I still need to mount the ones on the VRAMs.
So far they are lying open and I'm not that comfortable this way.
The ones I got first didn't fit. They were at least 2mm too big on each side so they collided and I didn't want to start cutting since I don't have the appropriate tools for that kind of work.
Instead I ordered the Alpenföhn VGA chip heatsinks (needed to get 2 sets because there aren't enough heatsinks of one size in one package) and those I'll mount this week over.

And when that step is done I'll consider the modification done.
I also need to shape-cut the tape I sticked to the side of the capacitors as isolation.
Old 10-02-14, 03:34 PM

Wow sounds pretty damn slick but... Bulky when it all comes together from the picture of the air cooler your using for the vrms n VRAM or did u say the VRAM is taken care of with just that tiny bit of work so far? And I mean up until the pics u posted of course not trying to step on toes in terms of how much work has been put in lol, anyhow I've got a NF-A9x14 that I love for my g10s fan and I think it's both quieter and seems to move more air than my f9 which just blows me away considering its only 14mm thick.

I noticed something when I was browsing google for gtx 780 and closed loop cooling info. I saw someone's 780 ti just like mine only it looked like they had covered the lil' thermal pads that the base plate of my ACX coolers has or at least everything those pads make contact with (sorry for twisty wording) anyways it got me thinking since I've seen video and or reviews where people kept their air cooler base plate and even back plates with their g10s... Could it possibly help let alone work out for me temp wise to put thermal compound on the pads, cuz the pads don't seem like paste your thick almost gooey double sided tape I have?

If I could get the g10(s) working with my h90s only using the regular g10 assembly, the 92mm fan as is sound wise, and then keep my base plate from the ACX cooler and even a backplate, that would be aesthetically ideal and perfect in terms of the space it takes up.
I was even thinking maybe thermal tape from the VRMs and VRAM to the base plate and then heat sinks right on the other side of the plate could work possibly, I mean the base plate is supposed to transfer the heat from the VRMs, VRAM and what not to parts of the ACX cooler and just get air to it in general so it's gotta be Abe to transfer heat somewhat well if all that is correct.

By the way I'm sure u thought of this already but could you achieve your silent fan goal by using the lil' heatsinks wherever possible and using a 80 to 120 or 92 to 120 mm fan adapter and then using an arctic f12 pro pwm or my personal favorite whisper quiet fans the 120 cougar HDB pwm fans

I actually have an adapter but it was for some other project so I'd need to cut it up to open it up so it can spread the air on the pcb better rather than coning and resisting the air causing unwanted noise.

Oh and keep the pics coming whenever convenient I'm loving your setup and new VGA closed loop related info/news the interwebs is all dried up on g10 and even arctic accelero hybrid VGA cooler related content

I wish I didn't have insomnia ADHD and fibromyalgia it makes for a hell of a combo of getting done then hibernating and hitting reset, but makes streaming my gaming hard to get a crowd/fan base and documenting PC stuff like this next to impossible cuz of the pain, I wish I could get myself to post up a YouTube video about those pesky rubber spacers cuz I'm sure that'd help a lot of people out especially considering us corsair users even without those lil' rubber spacer have trouble getting the mounting down easily, if I could safely shave down the square pad on the nzxt bracket even that would make a huge difference at the moment for lining up the screw without needing an extra hand or two to clamp onto the whole assembly lol

Sorry for the wall of text, if u need s'more punctuation please lemme know n I'll rewrite as I write, this is the time of the day/night for me when I get ranty and grammar starts to become non existent lol