Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 02-02-14, 07:37 AM
Resident Newb

Over Moderation On Forums Getting Too Much

Before I start ranting I just thought I'd say this has zero to do with anyone from OC3D, Nothing but respect for our Mods/Guv here

I've noticed over the past year or so that mods on forums, PC Enthusiast forums in general, Seem to have gotten a bit power mad when it comes to moderating.

I've seen a lot of people just having a mature adult discussion were all involved contribute something to the discussion only to have the whole thing cut short or off completely by an over zealous moderator because he, She or more likely "It" doesn't share the same view point.

Or even worse, Posts edited so it falls more in line with the moderators "Standards" which seem to be sub-human.

For instance me a and few friends were chatting about bodybuilding, Supplements, Products etc... and because the moderator of that forum didn't like the direction of the discussion he/she/it closed the thread and even went as far as to ban someone.

Personally I'm getting really sick and tired of certain mods and it's only really on PC enthusiast forums where they are at their absolute most despicable.

Anyone else think it's time that some mods need to BTFO and let adults be adults ?

- Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Edition - Corsair 680X Black -
Old 02-02-14, 08:05 AM
OC3D Elite

I personally have not seen anything on here that could be classed as over moderation but I have seen it on other forums.

I have been banned from one forum for writing about a game and listing all it's faults, and positive things about it and finishing by asking when the developers were going to fix it, even though there was nothing that broke the rules or even could be considered as slander etc.

The over or under moderation of forums is one of the main reasons I don't like being a admin/moderator of a forum, as you can never get it right because what you think might need dealing with, will always involve having people that agree with you or disagree with you.

Either way it can be annoying when MODS/Admins go on a power trip but as long as the right people are informed then, it should be dealt with and hopefully that person would be informed that they had done wrong.
Old 02-02-14, 08:11 AM
Resident Newb

Agreed on here the mods are genuine and seem to be nice people who actually talk to you *so far anyway* but other forums I've seen some of the mods need to be fired and dealt with in a humane manner they are that frustrating.
Personally I couldn't be a mod because I don't have it in me to treat the forum users like little kids and be an "A" hole about it.
Old 02-02-14, 09:16 AM
OC3D Crew

That's what happens to most people when you put them in a position of power.

Doesn't matter what kind of site. Reddit, forums (pc, sport, cars, gaming, anything), even basic IRC channels. Once people get a taste of having their own way at the click of a button, they forget how to be reasonable and responsible people.
Old 03-02-14, 01:30 PM
The Guvnor

This thread is fine but to be perfectly clear if you want this to stay I will not allow any other sites and / or individuals to be named.

Its too easy to slate another site on a different forum (I get it all the time but I wont allow it here)

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 03-02-14, 01:32 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
This thread is fine but to be perfectly clear if you want this to stay I will not allow any other sites and / or individuals to be named.

Its too easy to slate another site on a different forum (I get it all the time but I wont allow it here)
Gotcha
Old 03-02-14, 01:34 PM
The Guvnor

Talking about a situation is fine - name a site or mod - that isnt, unless you want to invite that site or person to defend themselves

Old 03-02-14, 01:37 PM
born in a.....

I was recently banned from a different forum for pointing out that an admin was banning people who proved his irritaiting fanboyisms wrong. OC3D is probably the only one of the only tech forums in which you can actively practice free speech .

Also, its always admins who've never been in a position of power before that act like arses.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 03-02-14, 01:39 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Talking about a situation is fine - name a site or mod - that isnt, unless you want to invite that site or person to defend themselves
No no no, I shall not point out names, It would become handbags at 10 paces otherwise
Old 03-02-14, 01:42 PM
The Guvnor

Just from the point of view of someone that gets slated a LOT on other sites where they think I dont see it its just not cricket.

Id like to think the majority of here can see why it wouldnt look good me allowing it either