Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-07-19, 03:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Hard to tell whether Herkelman's claims of bait and switch are revisionism or not, they could have easily left the prices the same if NVidia charged original leaked Super prices, though they clearly left some safe margin if they didn't.

Old 22-07-19, 04:22 PM
OC3D Crew

Ascock makes video card blowers now?
Old 22-07-19, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Hard to tell whether Herkelman's claims of bait and switch are revisionism or not, they could have easily left the prices the same if NVidia charged original leaked Super prices, though they clearly left some safe margin if they didn't.
The first thing that went through my mind when they announced the initial prices was "That's too much, end of". When they revised the price I still thought it was too much, but the lesser of two evils, so to speak.

I still think that had the Turing RTX cards not launched these would have been Polaris prices. Maybe a little more for the GDDR6, but yeah not as much as this.

Thing is? the initial price wasn't even a price because at that time there were no cards to buy. So really they could have said any price but until someone pays it and it ships it's just hyperbole.

I posted this on another forum when they initially put the prices out. I had no idea they were about to drop them...

AMD - "let's put out our mid range Navi at a Nvidia like price before we've even launched it"

Nvidia - "quick, someone is stealing our thunder, release moar lolprice Super cards"

AMD - "OK, now let's adjust our price before it's even been released, getting the same price for this mid range card that we were getting for our very expensive to make Vega cards"

IMO AMD will still be quids in. There were leaks naming these cards as 600 series, with prices £100 less than those AMD have settled on. And Nvidia made sure of that.

Vega 56 was around £340 recently, Navi has to be cheaper to make.

Let's also not forget that these prices are still an utter joke, and not get Intel Syndrome and think they're doing us a favour like the time Intel released that £185 2c 4t I3.

I was just basing that on the rumours I had heard about them being far cheaper. I would also surmise that AMD probably thought Nvidia would drop prices, hence the low leaked prices. Instead Nvidia fell right into the trap. The AMD guy is right, they timed it perfectly and had the upper hand for the first time in a long while. Usually they are playing catchup because Nvidia are miles ahead in every category. This time due to Nvidia's LOLprice they left the middle market wide open for AMD.

Old 22-07-19, 04:52 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't think we'd be seeing Polaris prices, these are bigger dies on a newer node, less mature than Polaris's 14nm was on launch, with much more expensive memory and a new architecture that took years of R&D, also can't really compare prices to old almost written off stock. But I also don't think Radeon group can afford to settle for risky slim-non existent margins anymore when they've not be making big losses for so many years, the CPU & semi-custom divisions profits can only pull that weight for so long.