Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 19-08-19, 07:57 AM
News Guru

DXR Raytracing is coming to Minecraft - RTX On

I guess this is why the game's Super Duper Graphics pack is dead.

Read more about DXR/RTX coming to Minecraft.

Old 19-08-19, 10:11 AM
OC3D Crew

OUCH!
Sonic ether must be pretty ed right now. And to out it behind a rtx garden wall, shame on you Microsoft and Nvidia.
Had high hopes for this, shame Nvidia had to get involved and price me out of free content....
Old 19-08-19, 10:15 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
OUCH!
Sonic ether must be pretty ed right now. And to out it behind a rtx garden wall, shame on you Microsoft and Nvidia.
Had high hopes for this, shame Nvidia had to get involved and price me out of free content....
You realise that the Sonic mod isn't hardware accelerated. With DXR hardware this should run much faster.

Beyond that, Microsoft us using Nvidia here. DXR is their API. They made it, and they have already said that their next-generation Scarlett console features raytracing acceleration. They are prepping for next-gen, and using Nvidia to prepare Minecraft.

DXR support is available on Nvidia GTX 1060 or higher Pascal cards, so if you are on Pascal you should be able to try this out.
Old 19-08-19, 10:34 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
You realise that the Sonic mod isn't hardware accelerated. With DXR hardware this should run much faster.

Beyond that, Microsoft us using Nvidia here. DXR is their API. They made it, and they have already said that their next-generation Scarlett console features raytracing acceleration. They are prepping for next-gen, and using Nvidia to prepare Minecraft.

DXR support is available on Nvidia GTX 1060 or higher Pascal cards, so if you are on Pascal you should be able to try this out.
Yeah I know, that was the point. The other point is that he has been working on this tirelessly to bring it to all. He could be asked to cease and desist with his development should Microsoft decide it. And again forget the rtx part, if you don't own nvidia you don't get it. Which I suppose it's no different than any other rt atm but when something is going to be given away to all and then a company steps in and limits it to their customers only....
Old 19-08-19, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Nvidia's RTX series of graphics cards are the only GPUs that offer support for hardware-accelerated raytracing
I have to disagree with this statement, every current DXR implementation and everyone that's likely to be in the next 5 years at least is a hybrid hardware/software solution, GTX Turing still uses hardware acceleration for a good portion of the ray probing, casting, shading, ect, the difference between RTX and GTX DXR implementations atm are mostly whether or not the BVH search and memory management parts of the algorithm are accelerated in fixed-function hardware in parallel.

Quote:
Yeah I know, that was the point. The other point is that he has been working on this tirelessly to bring it to all. He could be asked to cease and desist with his development should Microsoft decide it. And again forget the rtx part, if you don't own nvidia you don't get it. Which I suppose it's no different than any other rt atm but when something is going to be given away to all and then a company steps in and limits it to their customers only....
Given the launch period they've planned(Which they're prone to missing mind you), NVidia won't be the only company compatible when this launches in any meaningful form.
Old 19-08-19, 11:00 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
I have to disagree with this statement, every current DXR implementation and everyone that's likely to be in the next 5 years at least is a hybrid hardware/software solution, GTX Turing still uses hardware acceleration for a good portion of the ray probing, casting, shading, ect, the difference between RTX and GTX DXR implementations atm are mostly whether or not the BVH search and memory management parts of the algorithm are accelerated in fixed-function hardware in parallel.
I would define "accelerated in fixed-function hardware" as hardware acceleration. What else would you call it when explaining something so complex in laymans terms?

Maybe the entire pipeline isn't accelerated, but it still runs a lot faster thanks to fixed function hardware.

Quote:
The mod is for the old version of Minecraft, not the DX12 one. Taking down the mod would just be a PC disaster for Microsoft and Mojang.

Also, the mod is DXR. By the time DXR Minecraft releases in 2020 AMD should soon have DXR complaint GPUs ready to go out the door. Mojang has promised to support DXR Minecraft on other DXR compliant graphics cards.
Old 19-08-19, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

My point of contention is regarding defining RTX as accelerated but not GTX Turing, it's a bit of a messy term, but you'd say that your GPU was a hardware accelerator for graphics pipelines, even though since DirectX10 10 years ago almost all the pipeline has been programmable, with fixed function becoming hardware quite rare kept to small specific steps like compression algorithms or whatever. The same is true here for both GTX/RTX implementations of DXR, some of the pipeline is fixed function hardware, most of it is general purpose in both cases, it's just the RTX version has a bit more fixed function hardware than the GTX one.

Going from AMD's patent, they too have essentially no fixed function hardware in their proposed raytracing pipeline, but the BVH search for instance is still hardware accelerated, just with re-purposed(Texture) units, so they could technically have "RT hardware acceleration" just as "complete" as RTX Turing with less fixed function hardware.

Personally I'd only say units like Imagination technologies RTU use a full hardware raytracing pipeline, and I'd say everything else is just hardware accelerated(unless done on the CPU or done with legacy GPGPU instructions, though most GPU archs since 2010 onwards have been designed with consideration for raytracing, ofc not usable for realtime though), including RTX & GTX Turing and AMDs upcoming implementation, just to different degrees.
Old 19-08-19, 11:49 AM
Resident Newb

I hope this isn't made exclusive to Turing as I'd quite like to test this on my 1080 ti.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 19-08-19, 12:08 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
I hope this isn't made exclusive to Turing as I'd quite like to test this on my 1080 ti.
This is kind of what I'm getting at. If you own a rtx card then it's all good, if you own pascal, you might be able to. If you own an amd card then no. The purpose of the mod was to give it to everyone for free, now it's a goddam rtx advert.
Old 19-08-19, 12:12 PM
OC3D Elite

No RTX software is exclusive to Turing, whether or not it runs on Pascal is a question of performance rather than functionality.

But until it launches you can't run it on anything, and by the time it launches "Sometime next year" you'll probably be able to run it on two different consoles and GPUs from 3 different hardware vendors. (And given Minecraft was made on the back of mod support I can't see them attacking the long lasting, many many years old and widely distributed SUSE shaders line if you want that version, I don't think they've ever done that before unless someone was charging for mods)