Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-06-19, 09:00 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Getting a bit fed up with just Linux again, so ordered a SSD for dual booting:

1TB nVME for 115€, though it's QLC so not exactly the performance or longetivity king.
I kinda have the same feeling with Linux too.
You might remember I tried using Linux Mint a while ago and I didn't really like it and switched to Zorin and liked it more. But as I'm not a Linux guru it's a massive learning curve so I can only use it for so long until I just use my windows PC

Old 05-06-19, 04:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah I keep rotating between single boot Windows and single boot Linux since both annoy me in different ways, but my current 512+512 setup is a bit cramped for that.

But to learn linux I'd actually recommend jumping into deep end and installing Arch, that way you choose most major components individually and get a picture of what components a complete system includes and how they interact.
Old 05-06-19, 05:56 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Probably a smart way to do it I just don't have enough time to do that. I have anywhere from 40-60 hours of school a week. Not enough time to really do anything else anymore for the next roughly 6 months
Old 05-06-19, 12:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Made my case look like a complete kludge by moving the rad to top with fans outside since they don't fit inside. This allowed me to put two newly bought fans in the front and as a result GPU now has decent supply of fresh air.

For part two in improving my case's airflow I ordered a Meshify C front panel which doesn't impede airflow nearly as much. Judging by images it *should* be a drop-in replacement as long as I remove the power button assembly but we'll see how that goes.
Old 05-06-19, 01:01 PM
OC3D Elite

When it comes to ugly airflow improvements I think you're pretty safe, ended up using power tack to attach that fan in a way that would dampen vibrations without requiring cuts to the metal (Clips were kinda noisy no matter what I softened them with).

The 3.5" controller that has to hang out the back due to my motherboards lack of 3-pin fan headers doesn't do it any favours either.

It's mostly a gaming PC though with a secondary use as a deployment PC for any heavy long workloads (Mostly compilation) I don't want my ThinkPad getting dogged down with so it has to be pretty quiet with its location. (The window was already smashed)
Old 05-06-19, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

You needed one of these lol.

IIRC it had a 320mm fan in it.

Old 05-06-19, 01:49 PM
OC3D Elite

That dampening is brilliant though!
Old 05-06-19, 02:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
When it comes to ugly airflow improvements I think you're pretty safe, ended up using power tack to attach that fan in a way that would dampen vibrations without requiring cuts to the metal (Clips were kinda noisy no matter what I softened them with).

The 3.5" controller that has to hang out the back due to my motherboards lack of 3-pin fan headers doesn't do it any favours either.

It's mostly a gaming PC though with a secondary use as a deployment PC for any heavy long workloads (Mostly compilation) I don't want my ThinkPad getting dogged down with so it has to be pretty quiet with its location. (The window was already smashed)
Take the image of the case with the large fan mounted to the side of it, and then replace that fan with 2 large desk fans, and that would be the image of what one I my pc's use to look like.

It was all caused by a hot south bridge chip and the gap between 2 GPU's being to small thanks to Asus not spacing them correctly, I cannot remember which board it was but I know it was an Asus LGA775 board.
Old 05-06-19, 02:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Was it the P5N nvidia chipset based boards, because i used to have one of those and with 2 8800gtx cards managed to prettymuch fry the south bridge and the sata controller ate it xD
Old 05-06-19, 03:08 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I remember when massive side fans were a thing
We needed it then bad. GTX 480 days.. lol