Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 11-03-14, 05:37 AM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,749
Yep, that's what I use. Not much of a difference, just that when a game crashes with UNi Xonar the sound of it wont keep looping in the background.

__________________
i7 8700k - 16GB - 2060 FE - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-03-14, 05:48 AM
alxcsb's Avatar
alxcsb alxcsb is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 250
Haven't read through all the posts cause I can't be bothered at this time in the morning, but I know for a fact, from testing personally and from a lot of reviews that not even sound engineers and people that are used to listening to 5 figure sound systems can tell the difference between an on-board and Asus something-something sound cards. The only real way of improving the sound is by investing in a receiver and some speakers, although the Edifiers you have now are pretty well above average.
__________________
Desktop
<FX 9590> <Corsair H80i> <MSI 990FXA GAMING> <MSI R9 290X Gaming OC Edition>
<16 GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 LP>
<Corsair TX850 V2> <Corsair Vengeance C70>
Laptop
MSI GX70 <AMD A10 5750> <R9 M290X> <8GB DDR3 1600><128GB Toshiba SSD>
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-03-14, 06:03 AM
sn8kedr's Avatar
sn8kedr sn8kedr is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxcsb View Post
Haven't read through all the posts cause I can't be bothered at this time in the morning, but I know for a fact, from testing personally and from a lot of reviews that not even sound engineers and people that are used to listening to 5 figure sound systems can tell the difference between an on-board and Asus something-something sound cards. The only real way of improving the sound is by investing in a receiver and some speakers, although the Edifiers you have now are pretty well above average.
Really - no discernible difference at all?? I am surprised at that since it seems there are plenty of arguments to the contrary. Not that I am suggesting you're wrong, I just think that personally I can hear a difference. However everyone's impressions of audio are very subjective.....all I can say is I love the STX and can't wait to get my hands on some better cans.
__________________
Primary/Gaming: i7-4770K | 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz | GTX780 DC2 | 500GB Sammy Pro | Asus Maximus VI Formula | Corsair 750D | H100i
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-03-14, 06:08 AM
cuylar cuylar is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn8kedr View Post
Really - no discernible difference at all?? I am surprised at that since it seems there are plenty of arguments to the contrary. Not that I am suggesting you're wrong, I just think that personally I can hear a difference. However everyone's impressions of audio are very subjective.....all I can say is I love the STX and can't wait to get my hands on some better cans.
I sincerely suggest you read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...udio,3733.html
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-03-14, 06:14 AM
looz's Avatar
looz looz is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxcsb View Post
Haven't read through all the posts cause I can't be bothered at this time in the morning, but I know for a fact, from testing personally and from a lot of reviews that not even sound engineers and people that are used to listening to 5 figure sound systems can tell the difference between an on-board and Asus something-something sound cards. The only real way of improving the sound is by investing in a receiver and some speakers, although the Edifiers you have now are pretty well above average.
I am rather sceptic about this, many onboards have audible noise at higher audio levels which just doesn't happen with my Xonar.

In addition it isn't just output audio quality, microphone quality is significantly improved, it's easy to spot people using on-board audio for microphones on voice chats. In addition not many on-boards can run high-end headphones due to higher impedance.

I know the article you're referring to, though, here. But that isn't the only blind test around, for example this contradicts with the blind test ran by tom's hardware.

But indeed, audio is often quite subjective.
__________________
i7 8700k - 16GB - 2060 FE - 660p 1TB + MX500 2TB - HE-4XX w/ Topping D30+A30
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-03-14, 08:37 AM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxcsb View Post
Haven't read through all the posts cause I can't be bothered at this time in the morning, but I know for a fact, from testing personally and from a lot of reviews that not even sound engineers and people that are used to listening to 5 figure sound systems can tell the difference between an on-board and Asus something-something sound cards. The only real way of improving the sound is by investing in a receiver and some speakers, although the Edifiers you have now are pretty well above average.
Perhaps you should have read the thread, because we can tell the difference.

Don't bother posting if you literally can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread.
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-03-14, 05:31 PM
alxcsb's Avatar
alxcsb alxcsb is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Perhaps you should have read the thread, because we can tell the difference.

Don't bother posting if you literally can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread.
No, you can't tell any difference, because there isn't any. Do a proper, honest, blind test, and you will not be able to tell if it's on-board or Xonar. Without a blind test you say there's a difference because you want to justify the 100 odd quid you paid for that.
__________________
Desktop
<FX 9590> <Corsair H80i> <MSI 990FXA GAMING> <MSI R9 290X Gaming OC Edition>
<16 GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 LP>
<Corsair TX850 V2> <Corsair Vengeance C70>
Laptop
MSI GX70 <AMD A10 5750> <R9 M290X> <8GB DDR3 1600><128GB Toshiba SSD>
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-03-14, 09:06 PM
cuylar cuylar is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxcsb View Post
No, you can't tell any difference, because there isn't any. Do a proper, honest, blind test, and you will not be able to tell if it's on-board or Xonar. Without a blind test you say there's a difference because you want to justify the 100 odd quid you paid for that.
Being polite is usually a better way to get our point across.

My argument in this debate is that the Xonar STX and the Formula VI/RIVBE use the EXACT SAME chips. The caps are different but could be argued but at the end of the day we use measurements to make logical choices.

You can't say that the numbers mean nothing or you might as well say a yard and a meter are the same.... they aren't.

Humans are weird. We make irrational decisions and choices based on largely emotional reasoning. When it comes to sound... it can be a hard sale without playing on the emotions... For example... are you really going to tell someone that they are hearing it wrong? If you do, will they admit they could have been duped or defend that they experienced an improvement.

  • Justifying an investment is one reason why something might sound different to one person than another...
  • Some people are happier with specific tones of sound...
  • Some people need specific input/output jacks...
I wasn't comparing the onboard audio from a motherboard made in 2001... It's not the budget board audio... I'm comparing the exact same headphone amplifier, similar caps, and as far as a digital processor is concerned if the chip can process the audio we are in business.


I can show the exact same part numbers on both and people still claim that one is better. How can you possibly do that?

Configure 3 systems side by side... one with the SupremeFX, one with the STx and one with the Phoebus. Throw it on a switch and don't look.


Use some good headphones, 300ohm or something that will pick up the issues.


There are benefits to sound cards.


Those benefits are not always going to be heard. Rarely will they ever be heard by an average gamer/computer user. Many of the people who care so much about this topic take insult to the thought that there may not be the dramatic difference that once was.


For someone watching movies, games, listening to MP3s, or anything like this... use a quality onboard solution. If your life revolves around FLAC files and perfection.... go external... Xonar Essence One.


I'm probably past the $0.02 and getting close to $1.00 on this topic... but it seems like breaking the sound card addiction is similar to breaking the PSU over-wattage advice some other people give.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-03-14, 09:26 PM
alxcsb's Avatar
alxcsb alxcsb is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuylar View Post
Being polite is usually a better way to get our point across.

My argument in this debate is that the Xonar STX and the Formula VI/RIVBE use the EXACT SAME chips. The caps are different but could be argued but at the end of the day we use measurements to make logical choices.

You can't say that the numbers mean nothing or you might as well say a yard and a meter are the same.... they aren't.

Humans are weird. We make irrational decisions and choices based on largely emotional reasoning. When it comes to sound... it can be a hard sale without playing on the emotions... For example... are you really going to tell someone that they are hearing it wrong? If you do, will they admit they could have been duped or defend that they experienced an improvement.

  • Justifying an investment is one reason why something might sound different to one person than another...
  • Some people are happier with specific tones of sound...
  • Some people need specific input/output jacks...
I wasn't comparing the onboard audio from a motherboard made in 2001... It's not the budget board audio... I'm comparing the exact same headphone amplifier, similar caps, and as far as a digital processor is concerned if the chip can process the audio we are in business.


I can show the exact same part numbers on both and people still claim that one is better. How can you possibly do that?

Configure 3 systems side by side... one with the SupremeFX, one with the STx and one with the Phoebus. Throw it on a switch and don't look.


Use some good headphones, 300ohm or something that will pick up the issues.


There are benefits to sound cards.


Those benefits are not always going to be heard. Rarely will they ever be heard by an average gamer/computer user. Many of the people who care so much about this topic take insult to the thought that there may not be the dramatic difference that once was.


For someone watching movies, games, listening to MP3s, or anything like this... use a quality onboard solution. If your life revolves around FLAC files and perfection.... go external... Xonar Essence One.


I'm probably past the $0.02 and getting close to $1.00 on this topic... but it seems like breaking the sound card addiction is similar to breaking the PSU over-wattage advice some other people give.
I apologize if my wording came across as impolite, didn't mean to offend anyone. I did some testing a couple of years ago, using a Xonar STX and the Realtek 892, three different pairs of headphones (Panasonic HTF600, Philips SHL3300 and Denon D1100), a Microlab FC360 2.1 and an older Technics EH760 Hi-Fi. I sent the STX back because I honestly couldn't tell it apart from the on-board. Now, I am not a professional in this field, I just think that if it is sound quality you are after, that 100 odd quid is much better spent on speakers or headphones. If it is features and usability you're after, yes, get a soundcard, internal, external, whatever. I still maintain that there is no difference in sound quality between the two. That is all I'm saying.
__________________
Desktop
<FX 9590> <Corsair H80i> <MSI 990FXA GAMING> <MSI R9 290X Gaming OC Edition>
<16 GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 LP>
<Corsair TX850 V2> <Corsair Vengeance C70>
Laptop
MSI GX70 <AMD A10 5750> <R9 M290X> <8GB DDR3 1600><128GB Toshiba SSD>
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-03-14, 09:37 PM
cuylar cuylar is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxcsb View Post
I apologize if my wording came across as impolite, didn't mean to offend anyone. I did some testing a couple of years ago, using a Xonar STX and the Realtek 892, three different pairs of headphones (Panasonic HTF600, Philips SHL3300 and Denon D1100), a Microlab FC360 2.1 and an older Technics EH760 Hi-Fi. I sent the STX back because I honestly couldn't tell it apart from the on-board. Now, I am not a professional in this field, I just think that if it is sound quality you are after, that 100 odd quid is much better spent on speakers or headphones. If it is features and usability you're after, yes, get a soundcard, internal, external, whatever. I still maintain that there is no difference in sound quality between the two. That is all I'm saying.
I couldn't agree more that money should be spent on the speaker/headphone before any investment in a card should be made.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.