Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 16-07-15, 04:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Briggsy
Sound Card for Gaming Rig

Hi All,

I'm just about to buy the Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, can anyone advise on the sound quality from this board? Or its it worth investing in a decent sound card?

I want improved sound quality when playing games, watching movies and listening to music.

I was looking at the Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR, if anyone can give feedback on this card also?

Thanks

Old 16-07-15, 05:06 AM
OC3D Elite

I can tell you right now, from no experience with sound cards other than the old ASUS Xonar DGX, which I have in my closet.

Don't go Creative, I know a few here that will tell you off regarding Creative. You're better off with professional grade ones, such as ASUS. They make awesome ones and I'm not even into sound cards hehe

Here's a small page in a thread going on regarding Creative for you: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...998#post854998
Old 16-07-15, 05:13 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Budget?
Old 16-07-15, 06:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Briggsy
Up to £200
Old 16-07-15, 07:16 AM
Resident Newb

Nearly everyone on these forums will say the same thing about the Creative line, Stay away from it if you value your money and good audio.

If you have £200 then I highly recommend the Asus Xonar STX II.

Amazing card and leaves anything Creative has in the dust.

Written review - http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/a...dcard_review/1

Store page - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=SC-021-AS

I am by no means an audio enthusiast but even I was extremely let down by the sound the ZX produced so much so I took it back the next day, Truly horrendous product.

The ZxR is slightly better than the ZX but still not worth it, Either invest in the Asus STX II or an external AMP/DAC combo.

Old 16-07-15, 08:18 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Tell us more about your setup (or planned setup) which headphones are you using. Are you using studio monitors?
Because as of late with the z97 stuff almost every motherboard manufacturer has stepped up their game in the audio section... the asus on-board audio is acclaimed.
If you are on high end Beyerdynamic, Audiotechnica, Sennheiser, Dennon cans then you should probably get the STXII. If not then an "upgrade" isn't needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 16-07-15, 08:51 AM
The Webmaster

It's always worth getting one, while onboard is getting better it always seems to lack in some way, be-it on-board inputs for mic having buzz, or generally bad quality or some kind of static feedback loop (still an issue on some boards even today). Getting a sound card will almost certainly make sure you have the best experience possible from the machine without the need to get a DAC/AMP (unless that's your thing of course).

Whatever you do, don't buy the ZXR, or anything from Creative that doesn't have X-Fi in the title. They're all software-based now and are kind of pointless, especially considering what they charge for them these days. They won't add anything to your board that you don't already have, but will take money out of your pocket for the chance.

Grab an STX 1/2 if you're using headphones, or a an STX2 with the 7.1 daughter-board breakout if you have surround sound.

It really is, exactly as simple as that.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 16-07-15, 10:51 AM
OC3D Elite

My suggestion is for gaming, music and movies get the STX I or II, see above review.

If you are like me and run a guitar through emulation software, then use onboard audio. I have yet to find anything that has as low latency as onboard audio at the moment while not producing static.

If I find out you bought the Asus Pheobus, you have given your PC an bad disease
Old 16-07-15, 11:29 AM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
My suggestion is for gaming, music and movies get the STX I or II, see above review.

If you are like me and run a guitar through emulation software, then use onboard audio. I have yet to find anything that has as low latency as onboard audio at the moment while not producing static.

If I find out you bought the Asus Pheobus, you have given your PC an bad disease
The Phoebus aint bad, Not as good as the STX series but definitely worlds better than anything Creative have

Old 16-07-15, 11:47 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

the phoebus have more gaming features... Especially useful for those who've bought real surround headsets like the Tiamat 7.1 by razer

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why