Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-06-18, 09:00 AM
News Guru

Nvidia Next-Gen GPU PCB leaks - 12GB of GDDR6 memory

Is this a Geforce, Tesla or Quadro?

Read more about Nvidia's leaked Next-Gen GPU test PCB with 12GB of GDDR6 memory.

Old 26-06-18, 10:09 AM
Old N Gold

With all these delays, I do wonder whether this will actually be more than just a 1080Ti replacement and more like the way the 1080 was a replacement to the 980Ti, as in a lot more powerful. To wait two and a half years for essentially a lower TDP version of the same GPU with only a slight price decrease would be... ehhhh... maddening.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 26-06-18, 10:14 AM

Quote:
"aside from its twelve 8Gb GDDR6 memory modules"
Shouldn't that read as follows?
Quote:
"aside from its twelve 1Gb GDDR6 memory modules"
Twelve 8Gb modules would make for a mind bogglingly insane 96Gb of memory....
Old 26-06-18, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedontane View Post

8 G bit = 1 G byte

So its correct i think
Old 26-06-18, 10:24 AM
News Guru

Quote:

you are confusing Gb (Gigabit) and GB (Gigabyte). 8Gb = 1GB
Old 26-06-18, 10:40 AM

Quote:
you are confusing Gb (Gigabit) and GB (Gigabyte). 8Gb = 1GB
Hey strip out the middle bit (mind bogglingly insane) and my statement would hold true.

Also sod memory manufacturers. that GB Gb BS is such a crappy move.
Old 26-06-18, 11:01 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
8 G bit = 1 G byte

So its correct i think
Thinking about the whole Gigabit and Gigabyte in terms of VRAM, shouldn't we be measuring it as Gibibits and Gibibytes since they all go to base 2 instead of base 10?

edit: Actually forget that, just remembered Semiconductor memory uses the JEDEC standard which is Kilo, Mega and Giga to base 2
Old 26-06-18, 11:15 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Hey strip out the middle bit (mind bogglingly insane) and my statement would hold true.

Also sod memory manufacturers. that GB Gb BS is such a crappy move.
Bits and Bytes have been around since the origins of computers fetta, it isn't new.

I do agree that it confuses things for people that are not super into computers, as Internet transfer speeds are often measured in Mb and not MB, causing all kinds of confusion for people.

It all comes down to how PCs use a base-2 binary number system and how an on/off switch isn't that useful for most things. A single 1/0 or switch is a bit, whereas eight of these in a sequence is a byte.

So a byte (8 bits) of data can be used to select 2^8 options, or one of 256 different values. Long story short is that Bytes are a lot more useful.

An interesting side note is that the old Nintendo Gameboy was an 8-bit console, which is why the game is only able to offer 251 pokemon, as that is dangerously close to the 256 choice limit of the hardware.
Old 26-06-18, 11:27 AM
OC3D Elite

It's quite feeble to see Nvidia in the position they are in now. I really never thought we would see a day where so long as you were not running a stupid resolution that the games were actually behind a GPU. What I mean is, all the time I grew up there was always something bigger and better looking on the horizon. And graphical changes back then were enormous. Now? a 1080Ti is enough for 4k so unless you are running daft 5k or above everything needed is already on the market.

Other than Metro I have not seen a single game coming out that could make a GPU sweat, and you would have to be Bob Barking mad to buy a £700+ GPU for one game. I think those days are coming to an end.

I have mentioned before how consoles hold back the PC. This is truer now than ever. These games are actually being made and optimised for a console over the PC, meaning they will only push the graphics about as far as a console can go. I mean sure, they will add in extras on the PC like lots of AA options and stuff but nothing that a console could not manage. Which is why Nvidia, in their "Rabbit and tortoise" like haste have over taken what there is to play. I think this is also a large part of why I just don't care any more.

It doesn't help when you put a disc into a XB1X and after a couple of hours of downloading have a game that looks almost as good as a game you spent two grand to play. Actually no I will change that, from 30ft away on a very large 4k TV looks every bit as good.

You will have to be a bloody good salesman to make me spend another bag of sand to play a game, the same game I may add, at higher FPS.

Old 26-06-18, 11:54 AM
Old N Gold

After all these years, I still mistake bits and bytes.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX