Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-07-19, 08:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
4.6 GHz turbo on 10 cores, this thing is going to get warm, 5.2Ghz turbo single...

Intel trying to claw back some single threaded benchmark wins.
Even with 10 cores at that speed the 16 core AMD will behead it I reckon.

Never in a million years did I *ever* think AMD would be where they are right now. Ever.

I mean, I knew Jim Keller was good but man......

It's totally like the hare and the tortoise.

Old 15-07-19, 11:10 AM
Old N Gold

The new socket thing is annoying, but this is a fast CPU if specifications are to be believed.

I said this on Facebook and it seemed to go down surprisingly well, but the media and consumers loved the 5960X came out 4-5 years ago. It was £1000, only boosted to 3.5Ghz or thereabouts, couldn't overclock any higher than 4.3/4.4Ghz, and had 8 cores. This is £500, has 10 cores, and boosts to 5.2Ghz. Overclocking is probably going to be good too. That's not bad. Of course, Intel never would have done this if AMD hadn't released Zen, but still. The hatred I'm seeing across the net seems a bit much to me. There is no denying this is looking to be a fast CPU.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 15-07-19, 10:36 PM
Resident Newb

It would be interesting to see Intel 7nm vs AMD 7nm considering Intel are still ahead in many aspects even on their 14nm process vs AMD's 7nm process.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 15-07-19, 10:50 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
It would be interesting to see Intel 7nm vs AMD 7nm considering Intel are still ahead in many aspects even on their 14nm process vs AMD's 7nm process.
Yep. Intel's 14nm is better than pretty much everybody else's 10nm and near on par with 7nm. Just goes to show how insanely far Intel was at one point. People blame them for lack of improving but honestly they were so far ahead what was the point? They could have made higher core counts sure but if there was no need then why invest billions to do so?

My only gripe is they weren't prepared which shows arrogance.

Once Intel comes out with 10nm AMD are gonna be behind yet again
Old 15-07-19, 11:58 PM
OC3D Elite

GamersNexus confirmed this is a fake.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
OC3D Elite

What Intel now call 10nm is no where near as ambitious as the 10nm they originally planned for launch 4 years ago, Intel 10nm should be roughly on par with EUV-based 7nm solutions (Samsungs first 7nm node, or 7nm+ for TSMC/AMD), and should launch at around the same time. Basically, Intel are not explicitly behind, but not in any way ahead either anymore. Any downsides of TSMC 7nm vs Intel 14nm will also be downsides of Intel 10nm, neither of the new nodes from any company will be able to hit clock speeds as high as previous gen nodes for a while, because density of heat generating components is now the limiting factor(Hence why we won't see Intel 10nm in performance desktop parts till 10nm++). Intel will have to get EUV right straight off the bat when it eventually comes for them, while having less experience than the other companies, just to keep up with TSMC & Samsung now.

Essentially, they bet against EUV and miscalculated how quickly it would be useful and economical, tried to make an incredibly aggressive node shrink without it, and so ended up realising the technological wall of such an attempt before anyone else but had instead decided to use their advantage to invest in scaling the wall(Sticking with attempting to develop 10nm as an aggressive non-EUV node) while not giving enough priority to the tech that would side step it, and have kinda ended up floundering the lead as a result of EUV maturing quite quickly in its later stages of development.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yep. Intel's 14nm is better than pretty much everybody else's 10nm and near on par with 7nm. Just goes to show how insanely far Intel was at one point. People blame them for lack of improving but honestly they were so far ahead what was the point? They could have made higher core counts sure but if there was no need then why invest billions to do so?

My only gripe is they weren't prepared which shows arrogance.

Once Intel comes out with 10nm AMD are gonna be behind yet again

It's only that good because of the time and money they spent on it. I bet it's a fraction of what zen cost to shrink.