Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 11-03-17, 03:33 PM

Moving PC to new case - Advice appreciated

Hi,

I want to move my PC to a new case and since this is the first time for me I have a few questions that I would appreciate some help with.

First of all, this is my current setup:

My current case is too small, it gets hot easily and the PC is quite loud.

This is why Im looking to get a new one, but there are a few things where Im not so sure yet:

1. As you can see in the picture, I have a top-down CPU cooler. Would it make sense to just keep it or should I also invest into a tower cooler? I'd rather not out of budget reasons but I don't want it to mess up the airflow or anything. Also, if i kept it, would my new case need holes in the side panel or would the air in the case be sufficient for the CPU cooler?

2. I currently have 2 case fans, but I would like to get more. I don't know how many my mainboard (Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3) can support though. Would I need splitter cables or should I even get a fan control panel for the front of my case? Some cases say that they have an inbuilt fan-control. What does this mean?

3. Do you have good case recommendations for under 100€? I've been looking at these for example:

https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/p...assis/shinobi/

http://www.corsair.com/de-de/carbide...pc-gaming-case

What do you think?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 11-03-17, 03:36 PM
OC3D Elite

If you want quality avoid anything Bitfenix make. They have a very talented photographer but in the cold light of day their stuff is built like junk.

The Corsair is very nice.

What country do you reside in fella? would make finding some cases a lot easier.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 11-03-17, 03:37 PM

Im from Germany
Old 11-03-17, 03:49 PM
OC3D Elite

OK that helps This is rather nice.

https://www.caseking.de/anidees-ai-7...-geck-280.html

I like this too, if you can handle the silver interior.

https://www.caseking.de/lian-li-pc-1...-geli-522.html

This is a great price.

https://www.caseking.de/anidees-ai-6...-gead-002.html

Old 12-03-17, 12:26 AM
OC3D Crew

I have this and can confirm its fantastic to work in.
https://www.caseking.de/en/phanteks-...-geph-035.html 89 Euro and for an extra 10 you can get the tempered glass verion
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H | A10-6800k mild oc | Antec H1200 | Hyperx 1866 2 x 8gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 140gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 12-03-17, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

I would strongly recommend you Fractal Define S. One of the best Mid Tower cases (everyone will agree) on the market. Loads of airflow, and a jewel for water cooling if you ever decide to do it.

https://www.caseking.de/fractal-desi...-gefd-038.html

Also you can fill it with 8 120/140mm fans (2 Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140mm you get in the case) Fractal fans are not expensive and have very good performance/silence ratio. They are rated at 0.2A. Fan headers on boards are usually 1A so you can theoretically put 4 on 1 header, but 3-way splitter is bang on.
Old 13-03-17, 06:32 PM

First of all thank you for all the replies.
After some more research I've finally decided to settle with the Enthoo Pro from Phanteks
Old 14-03-17, 01:02 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you want quality avoid anything Bitfenix make. They have a very talented photographer but in the cold light of day their stuff is built like junk.
Harsh. I have the Shinobi and while it's not a brilliantly designed case I wouldn't say it was badly built, especially for it's price.
Old 19-06-17, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOmega View Post
Harsh. I have the Shinobi and while it's not a brilliantly designed case I wouldn't say it was badly built, especially for it's price.
Agreed, and considering it was one of the first cases they ever made I think you can forgive them for design not being on point, I had a shinobu USB3 then went to a Colossus which I am still using now and it is a great case and very solid and I have moved it around a lot.
Current Setup: Bitfenix Colossus white - ASUS PBZ77-V LX2 - i5 3570k oc'd to 4.4ghz - Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom CPU cooler - Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce - 16gb kingston HyperX 1600mhz - Creative X-fi sound card - 250gb 850 EVO - 120gb Samsung 840 - 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - Be quiet 630 watt PSU - Iiyama 27" 120hz - Dell Ultrasharp 22" - Logitech G303 mouse - Corsair K30 Keyboard - Logitech Z-5500 speakers - Sennheiser headphones - Blue Snowball mic.
Old 19-06-17, 08:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottytooHotty View Post
Agreed, and considering it was one of the first cases they ever made I think you can forgive them for design not being on point, I had a shinobu USB3 then went to a Colossus which I am still using now and it is a great case and very solid and I have moved it around a lot.
Colossus is junk. Had one, total junk.

Looked nice though.

Tags
case, cooling, fan