Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 27-06-19, 10:45 AM

Frame rate dips

Have a 8086k and a 1070 and 12gb of ram, and have noticed i get decent frame rates but i get a lot of sudden frame rate dips in most games

Like for example i could be playing Warframe or Monster Hunter world and happily 60fps then for about a second or two it would then drop to sub 40 and sometimes lower and i might get the odd freeze for another second and the back up to 60.

Possiblities i was thinking was . perhaps a monitor issue monitor is a dell ips panel 60hz though i will try a 144hz monitor ram is not quite enough or it may be the Hardrives most games i run off a standard sata HDD and i have about 4 of them installed (ssd being my small boot drive )

Any advise appreciated cheers

Old 27-06-19, 10:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Monitor doesn't have anything to do with it. It just displays what GPU is sending.

You have odd RAM configuration. You shouldn't mix, and mach RAM sticks. There is a reason RAM is sold as a kit. You can get strange issues.

I bought exactly the same 8 GB stick to upgrade my existing. Worked well individually, but they wouldn't work together for the love or money. I ended up returning single stick, sold mine, and bought Kit. Worked as a charm.

You should also try Display Driver Uninstaller. Remove your current Nvidia driver, and then install fresh one.
Old 27-06-19, 11:06 AM

Cheers, yeah i had a 8gb and someone sold me a 4gb really cheap (same manufacturer speed and timing ) but did think might be the cause of the problem so might see if i can get another 8gb stick
Old 27-06-19, 11:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyy View Post
Cheers, yeah i had a 8gb and someone sold me a 4gb really cheap (same manufacturer speed and timing ) but did think might be the cause of the problem so might see if i can get another 8gb stick
As i have said that didn't work for me. Try selling both and buying 2x8GB kit.

Edit: Try removing 4GB stick, and run with only 8GB. Yes the performance will be lower on single channel, but try to see if there will be dips.
Old 28-06-19, 12:36 PM

Did try a 144hz monitor and it does the same thing though dropping from 120 FPS + to 80 is not as jarring as it was with 60 fps to lower
Old 01-07-19, 09:50 AM
OC3D Elite

It sounds to me like you have another program stepping in and using up your system.

Run a check to see if something is on your pc secretly using your GPU for mining. In the beginning, these hidden miners just hammered your PC non stop but people caught on and removed them.

They have got smarter now, and can only kick in during certain times or hidden methods to use your machine for a quick transaction once in a while. I guess to prevent you suspecting it.

If its not something like that. Try the memory approach as suggested above.
Old 28-07-19, 10:48 AM

Just a update, Removed the 4gb ram stick and stuck with the 8gb and seems far far better now cheers all for the help

(was weird some games which are simple indie games were affected by such a thing)