Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 22-06-13, 11:52 AM
OC3D Crew

How to convert a DVD to MKV without quality loss?

The title says it all really. How do you convert a DVD to MKV etc without quality loss? I've done it before with unsatisfactory results. I want to slowly put our DVD collection on my home server.

Any help is appreciated.
Chris.

Old 22-06-13, 11:57 AM
OC3D Elite

It's impossible to convert anything from it's original format to a different one without quality loss.
Handbrake is probably your best option, with the least quality loss.

http://handbrake.fr/

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 22-06-13, 12:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Hmmm. How come when you pirate Blu Ray rips etc they look and sound perfect? How do they do it? lol

I've tried handbrake but my output was kinda grainy and not very good :/

Im looking for advice from someone with experience that can talk me through it really.

Cheers,
Chris.

Old 22-06-13, 12:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
It's impossible to convert anything from it's original format to a different one without quality loss.
Handbrake is probably your best option, with the least quality loss.

http://handbrake.fr/
handbrake also posted an artical about blueray to mkv

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/hand...y-tutorial.htm
Old 22-06-13, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I wouldn't know about piratebay rips or whatever.

But anyway, because the quality of BluRay in MTS format is HD the quality is much higher. When they convert from MTS to MKV there is hardly any quality loss and is why the don't look so bad.

What you are doing is taking a SD low res quality format and converting it to a different format which will result in quality loss, it's how it works, there is no way around it, it can't be done.

At lower resolutions it wouldn't look as be bad, but if you are viewing them on anything other than a SD TV they are going to look like crap.

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 22-06-13, 12:30 PM
OC3D Crew

Ok thanks guys.

So the quality gets degraded if i take something like a Tom & Jerry DVD because it's SD? So what should i convert SD videos to to get no noticeable quality loss?

Chris.

Old 22-06-13, 12:44 PM
OC3D Crew

you could convert to lossless RGB avi but the filesize would be huge. there's really not much point in trying to get a perfect copy of a dvd. I personally don't rip DVDs anymore since I don't have a dvd drive anymore, but there is a lot of free software around that can convert dvds to a good looking h.264 video. alternatively you could convert it to lossless RGB avi and then use a h.264 encoder (like the adobe media encoder) and convert the file at your discretion and quality standards. (but thats a 2 step process and you need some hard drive space for it if its a full length movie)

Edit: From what I've heard VobEdit works well for demuxing the Vob files of a DVD... You should be able to remux them to another MPEG based format at no quality loss
4.14.13-1-ARCH
Old 22-06-13, 12:55 PM
The Webmaster

It kind of depends what you want, if you want 100% quality (and yes, this is of COURSE possible), that comes at a cost, size.

A dvd averages 4.7gb so that's the kind of space you're going to need per movie.

You can pull the VOB files directly off the thing and muck about with them to get it to work. (there are ways for re-containering these without quality loss)

When you 'pirate' a bluray, these again come in various 'quality' versions, to get a full lossless copy, is around 25GB (the size of your standard single layer bluray disc) with all the menu's stripped out that's usually as good as it gets. If you add some mild compression and noise filtering, usually aroudn 14~18gb and if you don't mind a little blocky'ness you can pull them all the way down to 9gb or so.

Personally, I wouldn't really bother with archiving dvd's as to get them within a manageable size (around 1gb in my opinion) the source quality is lacking the definition required to really make it worth your while. I'd find some form of physical way to archive them, dump/recycle all the cases and keep the discs as they're never going to be actually worth anything.

My opinion of course, but ripping dvd's just isn't worth it anymore.

The matroska (mkv) format came about when mp4 and avi just couldn't handle the quality required for the high bitrate hd stuff, so it tends to perform better with HD video anyway.

You could try lossless .mov format, that's pretty good for keeping it's quality.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 22-06-13, 01:11 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rrial View Post
you could convert to lossless RGB avi but the filesize would be huge. there's really not much point in trying to get a perfect copy of a dvd. I personally don't rip DVDs anymore since I don't have a dvd drive anymore, but there is a lot of free software around that can convert dvds to a good looking h.264 video. alternatively you could convert it to lossless RGB avi and then use a h.264 encoder (like the adobe media encoder) and convert the file at your discretion and quality standards. (but thats a 2 step process and you need some hard drive space for it if its a full length movie)

Edit: From what I've heard VobEdit works well for demuxing the Vob files of a DVD... You should be able to remux them to another MPEG based format at no quality loss
That sounds great, ill look into it thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
It kind of depends what you want, if you want 100% quality (and yes, this is of COURSE possible), that comes at a cost, size.

A dvd averages 4.7gb so that's the kind of space you're going to need per movie.

You can pull the VOB files directly off the thing and muck about with them to get it to work. (there are ways for re-containering these without quality loss)

When you 'pirate' a bluray, these again come in various 'quality' versions, to get a full lossless copy, is around 25GB (the size of your standard single layer bluray disc) with all the menu's stripped out that's usually as good as it gets. If you add some mild compression and noise filtering, usually aroudn 14~18gb and if you don't mind a little blocky'ness you can pull them all the way down to 9gb or so.

Personally, I wouldn't really bother with archiving dvd's as to get them within a manageable size (around 1gb in my opinion) the source quality is lacking the definition required to really make it worth your while. I'd find some form of physical way to archive them, dump/recycle all the cases and keep the discs as they're never going to be actually worth anything.

My opinion of course, but ripping dvd's just isn't worth it anymore.

The matroska (mkv) format came about when mp4 and avi just couldn't handle the quality required for the high bitrate hd stuff, so it tends to perform better with HD video anyway.

You could try lossless .mov format, that's pretty good for keeping it's quality.
Size is not a problem. I have a 16TB home server dedicated to just media. The movies do not all belong to me so i can't just archive them physically. Besides, if they're on the server i can stream them over 3G on mobile devices. Thats one of the main reasons i want them backed up.

I think i"m gonna have another play with some convertors.

Old 22-06-13, 04:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Its possible it just depends on the settings you use in your converter more than anything, just cause you convert something doesnt mean it instantly loeses all the quality.

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ is what i use, its presets work nicely, ive converted HD and SD stuff with perfectly fine results and its pretty quick.

Pick your file, pick an output folder, choose your quality/res (ntsc/pal dvd, 720p or 1080p) then if you want you can tweak/change the fps, bitrate, video codec ect but the presets seem to work fine for me.
-Need to fit-
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| Alphacool Copper fittings