Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-05-17, 10:51 PM
News Guru

AMD showcase their Vega Frontier Edition GPU

AMD has now showcased their Radeon Vega Frontier Edition GPU, which comes with some insane levels of performance for the enterprise and deep learning markets.

Read more on AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition.
Old 16-05-17, 11:08 PM
AMD Enthusiast

16GB HBM2..
Y'all hear me say this all the time but.. guess who called it?
All those recent clickbait vega=1070 performance articles we're wrong like I said. That was a weaker card.

AMD came out swinging like crazy today. Cannot wait for Computex. And for the release date of Vega which is late June.
Old 16-05-17, 11:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Also their Frontier watercooled edition -

I really hope this is not just for "pros" as they put it, I would have expected this to be their top end gaming card and not just for deep learning etc....

Hopefully the "gamer" version has the same specs minus the memory, Maybe 8GB of HBM2.
Old 17-05-17, 12:59 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Pretty sure that is photoshopped.
All the official slides of this card does not show a hole at the back of the card for hoses to come through.
Old 17-05-17, 01:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Pretty sure that is photoshopped.
All the official slides of this card does not show a hole at the back of the card for hoses to come through.
Well it's from Videocardz but a watercooled version wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 17-05-17, 01:11 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Yeah I don't believe that from that webpage at least. No source. Just a picture.
It's smart of them though. So much AMD news today that everything is being confirmed and by releasing that at the same time most people would believe it. I could be wrong, but I don't see them releasing one after the FX issue that had CoolerMaster pumps and whatnot.
Old 17-05-17, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah I don't believe that from that webpage at least. No source. Just a picture.
It's smart of them though. So much AMD news today that everything is being confirmed and by releasing that at the same time most people would believe it. I could be wrong, but I don't see them releasing one after the FX issue that had CoolerMaster pumps and whatnot.

That is straight from AMD's website: http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/
Old 17-05-17, 01:40 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourgath223 View Post

That is straight from AMD's website: http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/
Well VideoCardz once again not citing their sources then eh? As a reporting news site, they should have basic journalism down...

Well it seems it will be for the PRO cards. I really hope not for consumers. The added price tag when it is probably going to lose to the 1080ti anyway is not something AMD need.
Old 17-05-17, 07:16 AM
OC3D Elite

50% more gaming performance over the fury X will only put Vega in 1080 territory it would need atleast an extra 30% on top of that to match performance with the 1080ti let alone compete with it but it's a good start and should hopefully help reduce some prices on both sides as the nvidia have really hiked thier prices
Evolv ATX Tempered Glass | i7-7700K OC @ 4.90GHz | Custom water loop | ASROCK Z270 Gaming K6 |GTX 1080TI @ 2120mhz 12000mhz | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200MHz CL15 | 256GB Samsung 950 Pro, 500GB Samsung EVO 960, 2 x Samsung Evo 850 500gb| Corsair RM850X PSU| Sound Blaster Z|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 17-05-17, 10:07 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverebo View Post
50% more gaming performance over the fury X will only put Vega in 1080 territory it would need atleast an extra 30% on top of that to match performance with the 1080ti let alone compete with it but it's a good start and should hopefully help reduce some prices on both sides as the nvidia have really hiked thier prices
It really depends on how much AMD's other changes help, the new rasterizer will help to limit "unnecessary work" when rendering scenes and other factors like the new Geometry Engine and Primitive shaders will help to get more work out of Vega per clock.

Right now it remains to be seen how much these factors will change things, but Vega is certainly more than just an overclocked R9 Fury X.

Even so, I don't see the Vega beating the 1080Ti in everything, I hope it will be a close battle and that the RX Vega will be priced well.