Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 24-01-20, 11:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah NVME on Threadripper is all or nothing it seems. I wanted that too initially, a non-RAID boot drive, and 2 drives in RAID0, but I couldn't get it to work either. So I settled for RAID0 across the board, for no logical reason.

Old 25-01-20, 01:29 AM
OC3D Elite

If it's like a regular RAID controller you should be able to run other drives out of the array but you're literally blind and one slip means two days of install lost.

Cba. Each will hold two AAA titles which is fine by me. I don't mind having lots of baskets, it just means less broken eggs

I'm extremely happy with the rig. Like, elated. It boots like lightning and all of my USB issues are gone. It's also noticeably quicker at multi tasking too, something I do a lot.

I'm at mum's so I've packed the bracket for return on Monday. Going to do a small mod on Sunday. One I planned over a year ago but it slipped my mind.

Then my buddy Gareth and I are designing and machining a RGB channelled diffuser strip to convert the GPU block to RGB.

I wish Corsair did dummy dimms for dom plat RGB. These they're wild I love em.

Old 27-01-20, 02:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Back to this tomorrow.

Something odd has happened to the rear fan. Looks like someone painted the grey ring. I've checked it and it was like that from day one in the photos so god knows.

I've ordered something from the USA will post some pics later.

Old 28-01-20, 11:42 AM
OC3D Elite

Fought me a lot but it's in.

Old 28-01-20, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Fought me a lot but it's in.

Looks great, nice job!

Old 28-01-20, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

When has a water cooled build NOT been a fight, LOL! Looking good bud!

Old 28-01-20, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

It's only just beginning

Connected up the floor screen earlier. Seems when drying it I knocked the backlight switch to off.

And you know what that means

Old 30-01-20, 03:20 PM
OC3D Elite

OK lots more work done. Spent the day wiring yesterday. Getting the USB working properly as AMD chipsets have issues with hubs.

That's all sorted, so I moved into the GPU. I had to make a converter, and the strip was faulty (this is a common theme with RGB ) and so the traces were broken so I had to chop one led off and go to the next set of traces.

As you can see, 5 LEDs are way more than enough.

I've got that coming from the USA. I may mod the blue LEDs into ARGB. I probably will, if I can get the bulbs easy enough in the correct size. It's programmable, so you can have it say whatever you want.

The rear fan is badly damaged. I don't know how it happened, but the grey ring is covered in black or the grey has come off? IDK, but I never noticed it before. So that is coming out.

Old 31-01-20, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

For some unknown reason I decided to bite the bullet at 7:30pm and completely drain, strip, rebuild and refill my PC, having spent all day on it already.

It went so well. Real smooth, not one drop spilled and I even managed to get the coolant back into the bottle.

Put it all back together, wouldn't boot. I did it because I'd accidentally flicked the backlight off on the floor screen when drying it. This was confirmed and the screen is fine.

Any way finally got it to boot. No U.2 SSD. Which is in a pcie card buried behind the looped GPU. Turns out the clip that holds the cable to the card had fallen off. Three times of in and out later and it finally picked up. Phew.

Booted into Windows, ram is 2133. Go to bios set XMP, won't boot.

Many hours later I took the ram out, put it back in and set XMP again. worked like a champ. Weird eh?

Old 31-01-20, 10:58 PM
OC3D Elite

I just watched the little video, and I must say I like the glossy black tube, and the way it augments the light show, very nice!