Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-06-19, 09:05 AM
News Guru

AMD creates their Radeon Pro Vega II and Pro Vega II Duo GPUs for Apple's latest Mac

Up to 28.2 TFLOPS of FP32 performance in a single PCB.

Read more about AMD's Radeon Pro Vega II and Pro Vega II Duo graphics cards.

Old 04-06-19, 09:37 AM
Resident Newb

Damn that's sexy !

Still a shame AMD didn't make the Radeon 7 with all 4096 SP instead of the 3840 it shipped with.
Battle.Net: Dicehunter#2746
Old 04-06-19, 09:52 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Damn that's sexy !

Still a shame AMD didn't make the Radeon 7 with all 4096 SP instead of the 3840 it shipped with.
AMD basically used a pre-existing SKU to make the Radeon VII. Going for the full core count would mean that they would either offer users 32GB of VRAM or need to make a new SKU with all the cores enabled and 16GB of HBM2.
Old 04-06-19, 01:06 PM
OC3D Crew

a nice stand for it will only set you back $999 dollars.....
I don't know who in their right mind buys a Mac these days, are they really that much more productive these days when you bring price vs performance?
Old 04-06-19, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
a nice stand for it will only set you back $999 dollars.....
I don't know who in their right mind buys a Mac these days, are they really that much more productive these days when you bring price vs performance?
I thinks it's more to do with people having invested their time to use Mac only software, and don't want to re-learn something else.

I also don't think the PCs are too overpriced, comparisons of the IMac vs self built showed it's fairly reasonable given the parts. But that $1000 stand.. damn!
Old 04-06-19, 04:25 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I thinks it's more to do with people having invested their time to use Mac only software, and don't want to re-learn something else.

I also don't think the PCs are too overpriced, comparisons of the IMac vs self built showed it's fairly reasonable given the parts. But that $1000 stand.. damn!
That and snobbery I think are what are keeping these going.
I would love to a comparison of software that runs on both when spending the same on hardware. Like if you bought one of the base models ($5000!!!!) and then spent $5000 on a windows PC and see what the difference actually is though I doubt Apple will be sponsoring anything like that anytime soon haha.
Old 04-06-19, 04:32 PM
OC3D Elite

You can't really compile, debug, deploy, or publish iOS software without a Mac, which drags a lot of pure mobile developers in, since that's about half their market, and they only need one laptop at the end of the day so may as well use one that properly supports all the OS' they need.
Old 05-06-19, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
That and snobbery I think are what are keeping these going.
I would love to a comparison of software that runs on both when spending the same on hardware. Like if you bought one of the base models ($5000!!!!) and then spent $5000 on a windows PC and see what the difference actually is though I doubt Apple will be sponsoring anything like that anytime soon haha.
Yeah, having looked at the specs for the base model, it's very overpriced. like $3,500, $4k tops for the unique design costs.

An equally priced Windows workstation would eat it alive
Old 05-06-19, 11:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
Yeah, having looked at the specs for the base model, it's very overpriced. like $3,500, $4k tops for the unique design costs.

An equally priced Windows workstation would eat it alive
It's not THAT overpriced as far as pre-built workstations go, the base spec CPU it uses is $750 alone, add in that OTT motherboard and ECC memory and you're probably already past $1500 just for 3 of its parts.
Old 05-06-19, 01:21 PM
OC3D Elite

It's not over priced. Even though it's honkingly expensive it's not over priced. Find me another one, you can't. Without that datum the whole logic is flawed. Yes you can build a similar PC or Hackintosh but at the end of the day this is one of one.

As for snobbery? rubbish. We all like nice things. We all also want the best we can have. That's not snobbery it's just nice to have. Originally specced as it was per the service tag my Alienware Area 51 ALX (2009 model) would have cost ten grand. I know I've done at least a couple of grand on it myself, if not more. Not because I am greedy or a snob but simply because I like having nice things.

Most see that as working toward something and it being an achievement.