Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 01-01-19, 04:53 PM
OC3D Elite

GPU fan revving question

Briefly touched upon in another thread, I'm suffering from random but frequent fan revving of what I'm now almost sure is the GPU (the pitch matches it).

I see nothing in afterburner though.

Only happens (and it started) when playing AC Odyssey. Ran Hellblade and nothing (likely different loads on the card, I imagine).

Just on the unlikely off chance, has anyone else seen it in Odyssey?

Asus Strix 1080

Old 01-01-19, 05:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Change your fan curve. Simple as that. You can then set the check spaces (IE when it checks and changes the RPM) to as long as you like in ms, IIRC.

It sounds to me like your GPU is hitting a certain temp, then the game drops off and it's then revving back down and so on. Laughably the loading screen on FO76 hits about 2500 FPS and my card heats up like crazy. And that is just loading lol.

Right, see where it says "Fan speed update"? that is where you change the time it checks. Mine is set to 5 seconds ATM. If you increase it to ten it would probably solve your revving issues.

Old 01-01-19, 07:11 PM
OC3D Elite

I'll give that a try, cheers! I'd rather have that than it being on the fringe.

I didn't see any temp spikes though.

Old 02-01-19, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

That could also be the asus software that runs the fan curve , i used to get it on my rampage if i was running the fans on there minimum speed , i raised the fan curve a little (3-4 percent) and it stopped
Old 02-01-19, 10:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie long View Post
That could also be the asus software that runs the fan curve , i used to get it on my rampage if i was running the fans on there minimum speed , i raised the fan curve a little (3-4 percent) and it stopped
You mean the firmware itself?
Old 02-01-19, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Holy crap I must thank you for posting this thread.

It turns out my Vega fans were stuck at 11%. That would explain many of the issues I've been having. Apparently if you set up a fan profile in AB and Wattman neither of them work.

Sorted now. That might explain why I was only getting brief boost clocks of 1500 max.

Old 02-01-19, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
You mean the firmware itself?
Sorry I didn't use the correct discription. I got so miffed with it I brought an aquero but still in the pipe line to be done as the adjustment sorted it
Old 02-01-19, 03:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Holy crap I must thank you for posting this thread.

It turns out my Vega fans were stuck at 11%. That would explain many of the issues I've been having. Apparently if you set up a fan profile in AB and Wattman neither of them work.

Sorted now. That might explain why I was only getting brief boost clocks of 1500 max.
You're welcome ha ha! Glad you got it sorted. What's wattman?

@Eddie can imagine and thanks
Old 02-01-19, 03:25 PM
OC3D Elite

It's basically everything you need for an AMD GPU, I just didn't know it because I didn't open it with my Fury X.

It has 7 or 8 P states for GPU clocks. Meaning it will clock down unless you need more FPS. Obviously full tilt means full clocks (like if you run 240hz or something else daft etc).

Then it uses a very similar tool to Afterburner for the fans (see the thing at the bottom). Problem was? I had set them both up, so neither was working. In MSI AB the fan was greyed out at 11% and was not spinning up at all in games. Meaning I was limited to about 1300mhz, but worse the GPU was getting hot AF. It doesn't seem to go over 75c ever, but man if you touched that cold plate it would literally burn your skin lmao.

So it's noisier in here now, but far cooler.

Old 02-01-19, 06:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Ouch! Very happy for you man!!

Setting it to 10.000 didn't solve my issue. Windtunnel revving stays.

Temps are 58-59, rarely 60C, RPM hovers around 2190 @ 60% fan speed (it matches the temp 1:1),again no visible only audible revving *scratches head*

Edit: doubled my AC Odyssey session and it persists alright. In the extreme case I have warrenty until November. Not that replacements are available so who knows what will happen.

And I reached a new all time low in Odyssey: at level 43 I got killed by chickens... Jumping and pecking me to death. Quite hilarious!