Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 16-12-18, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Why RTX?

Finally YT recommended me a video that I am interested in.

There has been much hate for RTX. I personally love it. And in this video it is explained what Nvidia had in mind with RTX launch. Amazing stuff.

Old 16-12-18, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

The problem is you need working software when you put out new tech. What did launch shortly after was a poor example and it took a while for patches to get it working at an acceptable level.

It also hurts when they come down from the high of mining shipping everything you can product to loosing half your business almost overnight. When your a publicly traded company, you can't go from record profits overnight to half you business. Their solution is to increase the price. I am not fine with that. Sure 10% I can accept, but not this.
Old 16-12-18, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

They have made a mess of the launch, that is true. But this was the perfect window for release. AMD has nothing for release now. They didn't have anything since Vega, and that was a failure. It was probably moved earlier not to overlap with next AMD release. Until AMD, and Intel even release RT products Nvidia will be far gone.

RTX On, or Off... 2080 Ti is still the fastest GPU on market by far. And further software optimizations will make it even faster.

Even though they could have done it better, for Nvidia it is still win-win. Old stock is selling nicely, new cards are sold out, and by the time competition has initial RTX launch failure Nvidia will be on second generation, and have architecture ready to implement all that R&D from AI and other departments.

And because they can pretty much do whatever they want, Nvidia decided to take AMD's approach. How better to test new stuff than massive public beta test. Like AMD did with Ryzen.

Everyone has forgotten pathetic memory compatibility, AGESA updates every 5 days, idiotic temperature offset, and deafening fan speeds because motherboards panicked. Jay delayed his 30 editing days on Ryzen test for months because it was buggy, crashing, unusable. And now... Ryzen is the go to platform for many.
Old 17-12-18, 07:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKong View Post
The problem is you need working software when you put out new tech. What did launch shortly after was a poor example and it took a while for patches to get it working at an acceptable level.

It also hurts when they come down from the high of mining shipping everything you can product to loosing half your business almost overnight. When your a publicly traded company, you can't go from record profits overnight to half you business. Their solution is to increase the price. I am not fine with that. Sure 10% I can accept, but not this.
The price hike was to get rid of the surplus stock. And it worked because people are flooding to purchase 1080ti now thinking that they are a good deal, when they are actually priced closer to what they should have been in the first place.

Also RTX is new proprietary tech from Nvidia, 10% for new tech which has cost them countless millions in R&D is not going to impress shareholders or business analysts. I think it's more to do with recovering their R&D costs than the mining slump. I have already seen 2080ti cards drop by about £50 in Norway. It's not enough, but its a start. Prices begain at 13,600 kr, but you can get a 2080ti for 12,400 (£1142) now. It is steadily falling but it will probably stabilise soon.
Old 17-12-18, 11:08 AM
OC3D Elite

The 20 series prices will fall but only so far. I agree with what WC says, they were artificially priced to make full priced Pascal cards look like a great deal (I mentioned that as it started to happen) but the fact is Nvidia have sold bucket loads of cards to miners and now they are back with us looking for the same sort of profit margins they enjoyed for a year.

That and no competition so yeah, don't expect massive price drops.

"You created a beast, now you must feed it" comes to mind here.

Old 30-12-18, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The 20 series prices will fall but only so far. I agree with what WC says, they were artificially priced to make full priced Pascal cards look like a great deal (I mentioned that as it started to happen) but the fact is Nvidia have sold bucket loads of cards to miners and now they are back with us looking for the same sort of profit margins they enjoyed for a year.

That and no competition so yeah, don't expect massive price drops.

"You created a beast, now you must feed it" comes to mind here.
its very esey lol nvida cards 50% higher stock the same lol
Old 01-01-19, 04:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Firstly, happy new year everyone!

I think the otherworldly pricing is a combination of:

1. Ridding surplus Pascal stock
2. New tech R&D costs (if this would be the sole reason I feel sad for this earth)
3. The mining high: shareholders will never again accept lower prices; the wolves must be fed and all.

To me there is no justification for these prices, plain and simple. It's abysmal and I won't be a part of it.

Prices aren't coming down here at all. Almost no stock, and a few coins short of €2000 for an EVGA Ti.

Nice thread guys, it's good to find one without insults

Old 01-01-19, 10:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheF34RChannel View Post
Nice thread guys, it's good to find one without insults
Haha you almost kinda gave me a laugh with your post, after reading this sentence. Since it’s basically true
Old 02-01-19, 03:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Haha you almost kinda gave me a laugh with your post, after reading this sentence. Since it’s basically true
Ha ha it is, almost everywhere else it's temper tantrums. The civility of this community speaks volumes.
Old 02-01-19, 05:22 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I don't believe the issue is Ray Tracing itself. It's just poor execution, absurdly high prices, lack of software, and the advertised software that actually launched was poor.

Ray Tracing is the future. To argue it's useless and in some cases I've seen dumb because it's not worth the R&D and higher consumer prices because of said R&D is just beyond naive. I blame the issues on Nvidia as a company but not product