Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 30-07-14, 08:28 PM

The old Raid 0 shuffle

I've got a pair of 500gb WD Raptors I plan to hook up via raid card to my current rig for a game partition. Odd choice over an SSD, but they are higher capacity and I got 'em on 2-for-1 on Black Friday a couple years ago.

My question is, since I don't plan to have this system for too much longer (The 2011 socket is calling to me!), how difficult is it to move a 2 card raid into another machine? It should just be plug and play, right?

Old 30-07-14, 08:37 PM
OC3D Crew

If its by a Raid Card, yes in theory it should be plug and play. If you are doing the Raid via the BIOS, then I would be wary about transporting to another machine. I have not tried it so it might be easy.

I think the Raid card will remember your setup for you. By the way, I would never just stripe normal hard drives without parity aka Raid 0. If one goes, there goes all your data. My two cents.

--Rick--
Old 30-07-14, 09:27 PM

If they were any other brand then I would go with a raid 1 for 2 drives, however since it is WD and it's only going to be used for games, I'm willing to risk it. I'll just throw in a 4TB later for backup purposes.
Old 31-07-14, 08:54 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlaysWarr View Post
If its by a Raid Card, yes in theory it should be plug and play. If you are doing the Raid via the BIOS, then I would be wary about transporting to another machine. I have not tried it so it might be easy.

I think the Raid card will remember your setup for you. By the way, I would never just stripe normal hard drives without parity aka Raid 0. If one goes, there goes all your data. My two cents.

--Rick--
From my experience, raid cards are the better option to have, using onboard raid is very fussy, and sometimes likes the same make of chip to mount the raid partition, other times, it doesn't even read the partition, and on the odd occasion, it will work.

With raid cards, it just plug and play and they work without issues most of the time (at least 95%), there are always the odd hiccups that can occur, as nothing is without its faults, and you will probably need to go into the setup for the raid card and re-read in the raid partition, but other than that, it is usually straight forward.

Tags
hdd, raid, sdd, storage