Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 20-06-13, 10:14 PM

Nice board but gets outclassed Gigabytes offerings yet again in my opinion. The only platform I'd get an Asus board on now would be 2011. Gigabyte have the best AM3+, 1155 and 1150 boards.

Old 20-06-13, 10:37 PM
OC3D Crew

I'm wondering if the wonky BIOS issues you guys had and the different BIOS that you got has anything to do with the frankly disappointing story with this board? Most likely not, but it's something to consider. Either way for that price there's no way you'd catch me spending on it. A shame, too. I have one of their Maximus IV Gene boards and it was priced right and performs admirably well. Oh well, they can't all be hits I suppose.
Corsair Graphite 760T : Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 : FX 8350 @ 4.7 GHz : 8 GB Vengeance LP Low Voltage memory @ 2133 MHz : PowerColor AXR9 280X (1100 MHZ core, 1600 MHz mem) : Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SSD : Cooler Master Glacer 240L : Fractal Design Newton 800W PSU : NZXT Sentry 3 Fan Speed Controller
Old 20-06-13, 11:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Such a shame about Asus dropping the ball with there stuff, and with Haswell really makes you wonder if there is any point to buying ANY manufacturers high end boards especially the overclocking boards as the chips can't really overclock from what I'm hearing and FULL KUDOS to Tom for his honesty and unbiased opinion and not being scared to openly say it.
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 21-06-13, 12:40 AM

Fair Comparison Please.

Just a thought guys and gals, but I'd really like to know how the Gigabyte and MSi's premium priced boards perform in relation to the Asus Maximus VI Extreme before I condemn Asus to the scrap heap.
For example the Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force is £460!!! and the MSI Z87 XPower is £350, it may not just be Asus Maximus Extreme, which by the way is £340 (OCUK prices).
I'd really like to see the results to see if it is Asus or that the top end boards really are poor in terms of performance gains vs price.
Any chance of these being tested Tom?
By the way I have both Asus and MSi boards before I get any fanboy comments. I also think Asus has lost the plot with its range of Gold Z87 P series boards, my god who thought of that.
Rig 2 - Asus Rampage V Extreme, I7 [email protected], EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified x 2, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000, Custom H2O Loop, Samsung 250GB M.2 nvme Drive (os),Samsung 250GB SSD, OCZ 250GB SSD, 2x 3TB Toshiba HDD, Corsair RM 1000w PSU, Lian-li PC-05 Case, Asus Xonar Phoebus.
Old 21-06-13, 04:23 AM
OC3D Crew

This was a really interesting review. I've had countless Asus motherboards over the years and I really love their products but it's clear this is a total disaster. £330 is a lot to ask for an LGA1155 Haswell motherboard in my opinion even with Quad-SLI support and PCIe switches.

As you can see in my signature I have the Rampage IV Extreme and it came with that OC Key thing which is completely useless to me.

Just to go on a bit of a teeny-tiny rant, The Rampage IV Extreme (X79 board) cost about £340 retail I think. And it came with this OC Key which has a DVI pass-through to show you your overclocks, fan speeds and temperatures on your PC screen as an on-screen display. The key is so long that if you use it your PC case has to be like 9 inches away from the wall and it doesn't support Dual-Link DVI.

Now who in their right mind is going to spend £340 + £220-£440 on a Mobo + CPU on X79 and not be using a 27" 2560x1440 or 30" 2560x1600 display? The reason I say this is because those displays use DVI-Dual Link, it has twice as many metal contacts on the DVI connector as normal DVI and thus makes those screens completely incompatible with the OC Key.

So not only do you need to move your case 9 inches forward, you need to be using a 24" or smaller display and they make you pay for that key thing regardless if you can use it or not.

It is gimmicks like that which mar their otherwise good reputation and I was pretty disappointed to see them bundling yet more useless like that with this Maximus VI Extreme. Not only does it cost you money to get something none of us would use but it is poorly designed with the cover easily coming off and the SATA cable at the bottom.

This board and the general direction Asus has been going in for the past year seems at odds with who they should be. Gimmicky rubbish, overpriced underperforming boards. And I agree with tom that they are seriously misjudging the market by aiming these Republic of Gamer boards at hardcore overclockers, that makes no sense to me because people who are going for record attempts don't want all this extra fluff. Gigabytes OC boards get what hardcore overclockers want they keep it as sparse as possible as not to burden the processor with extra faff, sticking things like sub zero temperature sensors on these RoG boards makes no sense to me whatsoever.

If I was advising Asus right now I'd say get rid of these Overclocking accessories, they are a waste of time and make a new brand for hardcore overclockers, sticking RoG in with that crowd is doing a disservices to both camps.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 21-06-13, 09:05 AM

Damn, he tore this a new one.. no ROG for me this time it seems.
Old 21-06-13, 11:54 AM

review roundup at asus homepage

Just had a look at the different reviews posted there. The 5 reviews manages to compare the maximus to as much as 2 (two) different z87 motherboards...
one is the intel one, which sucks, and the other is the asus gryphon z87 which delivers performance within 1 percent of the maximus and often to the maximus disadvantage.
So a huge thumbs up from me for actually comparing it to z87 boards, instead of saying how much better it is compared to a z77 or older.

http://rog.asus.com/241982013/maximu...eview-roundup/
Old 21-06-13, 12:12 PM
OC3D Crew

TBH the last board I liked from ASUS was the rampage extreme 3 maybe the black edition of it aswell. Sure there sabertooth range seems solid but they dont seem to take any risk's MSI's changing there product range into 3 colour coded catorgies was big. Mpower series was bold move colour and market wise but I like it. Asus dont seem to have anything but revised designs from previous gens and seem to be looking for ways to make short cuts.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved

Nicolo Machiavelli
Old 21-06-13, 12:20 PM
OC3D Crew

It's actually refreshing to hear a negative review of something of this profile. Integrity is unfortunately lacking in most of the industry.

Ryzen 5 2600X -- EVGA GTX 1070 SC -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- Phanteks P350X

Old 21-06-13, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

asus do make some nice things if I was asus I don't think id have the balls to ask anyone to buy this mobo

I hope thay don't take what tom said to hart and go back to building good mobo,s