Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 30-11-07, 08:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='hawkinsa21'

Its the core speed that is low, isn't it supposed to be showing something like 2400Mhz??

I have disabled EIST, C1E, and the Thermal thingy as well...
One word.....Vista.

I spent AAAAAAGES trying to work out why my CPU speed was fluctuating like C1E was enabled, and eventually I found out loads of other people were complaining about it too. Vista seems to ignore/override the C1E setting on some motherboards. In this case it was an Abit..not sure about other boards.

Old 30-11-07, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='XMS'
One word.....Vista.

I spent AAAAAAGES trying to work out why my CPU speed was fluctuating like C1E was enabled, and eventually I found out loads of other people were complaining about it too. Vista seems to ignore/override the C1E setting on some motherboards. In this case it was an Abit..not sure about other boards.
Thanks XMS, thats a relief that I'm not going mad. lol

So, I guess my next question is that am I meant to be seeing 2.4Ghz in the core speed??? Here it just looks to me like 1.24Ghz

EDIT: PS just ran SuperPi, and got 45sec @ 1M..... something looks wrong there

I'm gonna reset CMOS and start over
Old 30-11-07, 08:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='hawkinsa21'
Thanks XMS, thats a relief that I'm not going mad. lol

So, I guess my next question is that am I meant to be seeing 2.4Ghz in the core speed??? Here it just looks to me like 1.24Ghz
You will probably only see it jump to 2.4 when the processor is not idle. Try Prime95 or SPI to see if it bumps back up.

...And ye 45sec is pretty shoddy for ur setup
Old 30-11-07, 08:51 PM

45 seconds is appalling

Make sure you've disabled:

Speedstep

C1E

Thermal Throttling.

Vista is NOT the issue here, I have an IP35 Pro running Vista Ultimate and have no issues like that

If you need me to come take a look gimme a shout Al
Old 30-11-07, 09:04 PM

Thanks bud, I'm taking a further look in the BIOS now. Couldn't see Speedstep though??
Old 30-11-07, 09:12 PM

I have Vista and an overclocked Q6600 and haven't had this problem since i disabled speedstep
Old 30-11-07, 09:48 PM

OK so here's what I have (remember I'm using a golden Xeon that gets 3.3Ghz @ 1.275v)

Failing copying that I dunno what other BIOS settings you would do

Actually just noticed my RAM isn't at 1100MHz...must sort that out
Old 30-11-07, 10:19 PM

Thanks Kempy, checked it all and its all good. Same as you bud...

Please stare in amazement at my new and improved 3DMark06 score, it rocks... remember, Q6600, 2gb Corsair Dominator, 8800gt, Abit IP-35

I just don't know what to do... should I start looking at RMA'ing any of the parts??

I will reset the CMOS again and do a test from scratch, ALL defaults.

Off to bed now though, might dream of an AMD XP 2200 thrashing my quaddy in SuperPi... thats a nightmare I know, but more likely a reality for me at present...
Old 30-11-07, 10:26 PM
OC3D Crew

theres deffo something wrong there somewhere

are you certain that your "External Clock" option in the BIOS is set correctly ?

usually if it's a speedstep problem, the multiplier drops and the bus speed stays the same *shrug*

with those settings above, you are running with FSB and MEM at half speed and with seriously reduced bandwidth

Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R

3x4GB GSkill Ripjaws PC3-12800

AMD HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC

Asus Xonar DX

Crucial C300, Vertex1, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's

Corsair AX850

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Old 30-11-07, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Pyr0'
theres deffo something wrong there somewhere

are you certain that your "External Clock" option in the BIOS is set correctly ?

usually if it's a speedstep problem, the multiplier drops and the bus speed stays the same *shrug*

with those settings above, you are running with FSB and MEM at half speed and with seriously reduced bandwidth
Hey Pyr0, thanks for your reply.

The external clock is set to 277Mhz, x 9 should be around 2493Mhz... so that looks fine.

I have reset the CMOS many times now, and tried all sorts of configs. The last reset the only thing I changed was turning off the thermal features, C1E and EIST... still get totally rubbish core speed... I just don't know... I have even tried JUST default BIOS, as I did get 9027 3DMark06 points at first, but its all gone downhill since then. Its definately the CPU thats showing as being rubbish, but could the memory affect this??

Can anyone suggest what things to try? Should I try the memory in the other memory slots?? They are dual channel in the two blue slots, so I could try the blacks... ??

Is it worth reseating the proccy?? I can't see that that would matter though as its stable and temps are low