Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-01-19, 05:00 PM
News Guru

Windows 10 will soon "reserve" 7GB of storage for future updates

Are you ready to lose access to 7GB of your OS drive?

Read more about Microsoft's plans to "reserve" 7GB of storage on Windows 10.

Old 14-01-19, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Just what I always wanted. Thanks, Microsoft.
Old 14-01-19, 07:34 PM
OC3D Elite

wow, not content with forcing apps and features on its user base now they want to ring fence drive space.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro
Old 15-01-19, 03:20 AM

having issues

i m having high cpu usage after (1809 build) january 12th update. the task manager shows nothing...but rtss showing above 25% cpu usage on idle. serous chop pi ness while gaming ...lucky i had backup for the c drive for December ... restoring to it fixed the issue
Old 15-01-19, 03:27 AM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb View Post
i m having high cpu usage after (1809 build) january 12th update. the task manager shows nothing...but rtss showing above 25% cpu usage on idle. serous chop pi ness while gaming ...lucky i had backup for the c drive for December ... restoring to it fixed the issue
Same here, had to update to 1809 to run 3DMark and since then I'm getting choppy CPU usage and idle often sees 20 - 25% load with no apparent reason for it.
Old 15-01-19, 03:54 AM
OC3D Elite

I have so much bloat on my boot drive I'd be lucky to have 7GB free for Windows.

I get why they're doing it but it's a PITA unless you're on top of your storage and drive maintenance - so exactly the type of person that doesn't need Windows to reserve 7GB for them..

Old 15-01-19, 04:39 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
I have so much bloat on my boot drive I'd be lucky to have 7GB free for Windows.

I get why they're doing it but it's a PITA unless you're on top of your storage and drive maintenance - so exactly the type of person that doesn't need Windows to reserve 7GB for them..
It takes the current files it needs and puts them into the 7GB reserve portion and future files that get generated get put into the 7GB reserve. People are getting angry for no reason it's just managing the current bloat windows already makes better and makes it easier to update which has always been slow and awful.
So the type of person that doesn't manage anything is actually benefitting from this as it'll delete and replace files.
The files that it manages are: temporary files(which gets large quick), apps, system caches, and updates.

Tbh Mark didn't do a good job on explaining how it works instead of just pointing out only negatives. I read about this days ago and read how it worked. In the future Mark I'd like to see you explain the changes in detail and then your opinion instead of 3 sentences on what it does(long sentences as it's two paragraphs lol) and then your opinion
Old 15-01-19, 11:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Same here, had to update to 1809 to run 3DMark and since then I'm getting choppy CPU usage and idle often sees 20 - 25% load with no apparent reason for it.
What exactly do you guys mean with ”choppy” CPU usage?... As I’m not entirely sure if it’s related, but I get this crackling noise sound whenever watching Netflix on my computer. Whenever it happens, I see in Task Manager that my CPU usage spiked a bit for a second. Same with GPU usage.
Old 15-01-19, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
As an fyi task manager doesn't show everything; if you use a program called ProcessExplorer it might be able to find the issue program/service and you can stop or remove it from there.

Just a thought is all, I've got a lot of win10 laptops/desktops (work ones, updated to 1809) on build 1809 and none of them have any issues but I did have to fix my personal gaming rig using process explorer as task manager didn't find the issue point.
Old 15-01-19, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
What exactly do you guys mean with ”choppy” CPU usage?... As I’m not entirely sure if it’s related, but I get this crackling noise sound whenever watching Netflix on my computer. Whenever it happens, I see in Task Manager that my CPU usage spiked a bit for a second. Same with GPU usage.
Is it just Netflix? If yes - what browser are you using?

Firefox can have weird issues / Edge is seemingly fine / Chrome is fine / Internet Explorer is 90% okay, sometimes weird issues.

Based on what you are saying it seems like an audio driver issue...but if it is only affecting Netflix then I'd suggest browser swapping and see if it persists. If it does then its a software issue with the audio driver OR windows 10 (whatever build you are on, that'd be good to know).