Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-07-19, 09:54 AM
News Guru

Radeon RX 5700 XT pushed past 2.2GHz through soft-modding

Navi has a lot of untapped potential.

Read more about AMD's Radeon Navi RX 5700 XT getting overclocked past 2.2GHz.

Old 17-07-19, 02:06 PM

I'm getting more and more optimistic about Navi as time goes on. If the architecture is capable of those clock speeds at very reasonable power draws (albeit through mods), then the silicon is capable at performing.
Now what we need is a big part with 56 or 64 CUs, clocked at 2ghz. stack another 30-50% more performance onto the 5700xt, and we've got a high-end competition in the GPU market. Lovely.
Old 17-07-19, 03:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
I'm getting more and more optimistic about Navi as time goes on. If the architecture is capable of those clock speeds at very reasonable power draws (albeit through mods), then the silicon is capable at performing.
Now what we need is a big part with 56 or 64 CUs, clocked at 2ghz. stack another 30-50% more performance onto the 5700xt, and we've got a high-end competition in the GPU market. Lovely.
I can assure you Nvidia will be ready and have everything they need to make Navi look poo. I hate saying it but it's true. Just because Nvidia have slowed down does not mean they're not marching on behind closed doors.

If AMD release anything that even goes near the 2080ti Nvidia will release their next gen and bury it. The next gen that was due by now but hasn't happened because AMD are so far behind.

Old 17-07-19, 03:45 PM
OC3D Elite

NVidia are waiting till Samsung's EUV node is ready. IE; they don't, for a fact, have a response to the first round of Navi cards. Any new gen from Nvidia couldn't possibly be ready for mass sale before Q1 2020 given the amount of build up required for parts like these and the known availability of Samsung's full 7nm process. Both companies are currently operating at the absolute limits of what physics would allow and neither are holding back any technology in any sense of the word.
Old 17-07-19, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I can assure you Nvidia will be ready and have everything they need to make Navi look poo. I hate saying it but it's true. Just because Nvidia have slowed down does not mean they're not marching on behind closed doors.

If AMD release anything that even goes near the 2080ti Nvidia will release their next gen and bury it. The next gen that was due by now but hasn't happened because AMD are so far behind.
I mean they can't do another release on 12nm, their dies are already way too big on the 20 series. So yes 100% possible if they jump to 7nm. But are they really in a position to ramp up production on the next architecture? Who knows.

But if AMD can do what the 5700xt does to the 2070 Super (being much cheaper at similar performance) on the high end, then they can give the £1,100 2080ti a headache!
Old 17-07-19, 04:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyolly View Post
But are they really in a position to ramp up production on the next architecture? Who knows.
We do because it's publicly available information from Samsung(And NVidia has publicly committed to that node for their next gen). Mass production for 7LPP started in June so only small low volume products(Like smartphone SoCs) could realistically have commercial availability this year, usually you're looking at about 18 months between mass production starting and commercial availability for GPUs. The TSMC node used for Navi started mass production towards the end of 2017 for reference. A push for a quicker launch would just mean a paper launch basically.
Old 18-07-19, 02:22 PM
OC3D Elite

I am looking forward to the 5600, 5800 and 5900s and if 5700 series are anything to go by the rest of the line will end up beating nvidia at all price points.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro