Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-06-19, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah, their target audience isn't individual consumers, it's businesses, almost all of these will be bought as a routine expense without a 2nd thought.

Old 06-06-19, 02:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Yeah, their target audience isn't individual consumers, it's businesses, almost all of these will be bought as a routine expense without a 2nd thought.
I don't disagree but they really are taking the P***. Fact is as MKBHD said that a lot of people buying these monitors will have a vesa mount solution already and will only buy the monitor.

HOWEVER...

You could over engineer the hell out a nice aluminium stand and not have to charge $1000. In fact, all someone needs to do now is develop a beautiful, well made aftermarket stand that looks good with the new monitor and charge $500 and people will say it's a bargain lol

You can literally buy an iphone for the price of this piece of metal with hinges
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero, Ryzen 3800X, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Samsung 970 EVO SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
Old 06-06-19, 09:23 PM
OC3D Elite

It's pretty outrageously expensive for a monitor stand but also probably the nicest one around in its form factor. It's fun to just go LUL APPLE but IMO there isn't anything wrong with this.

Charging $200 for a VESA adapter, however, is ridiculous. I hope 3rd parties catch up quickly.
Old 07-06-19, 01:09 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
To be fair, with the desktop, you can't really get a truly equivalently spec'd (ECC and so on) PC for much less, though we don't know how the top end spec pricing plays out yet. Also if you want to develop mobile apps, you kinda need at least one PC with MacOS unless you're gonna try and virtual machine it.
You can spec one up almost identical for almost half the price, actually.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 07-06-19, 02:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
You can spec one up almost identical for almost half the price, actually.
But it doesn't have the fancy apple logo
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 07-06-19, 05:16 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
To be fair, with the desktop, you can't really get a truly equivalently spec'd (ECC and so on) PC for much less, though we don't know how the top end spec pricing plays out yet. Also if you want to develop mobile apps, you kinda need at least one PC with MacOS unless you're gonna try and virtual machine it.
This is not correct all that correct. You don't "kinda need" a Mac to make mobile apps. Also because most apps that are multiplatform are language agnostic. It doesn't matter what platform any OS is able to run languages like Java as an example. Any normal windows machine can handle it. Especially since they have software that will virtual machine it inside the app itself.
The ones that don't use Java usually are run as a web application on client side, so html, css, javascript using something like PhoneGap. Any OS is able to run this.

It's usually the platform-specific apps that will run Swift on IOS. Most Android apps are Java, which is already platform agnostic, and most other languages they support are agnostic as well.