Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-05-19, 09:43 AM
Old N Gold

Mark, are you sure the XT is supposed to compete against the 2080? Other posts from the same report say it's the 2070. How is it supposed to compete against the 2080 while Radeon VII does that and remains their flagship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
I'll just get a new console then. PC gaming can go screw itself if this is the new standard pricing model for GPU's.
Pretty much I'm on board with this too. If the new consoles can incorporate proper mouse and keyboard control, I'm done with PC gaming as an enthusiast. I don't intend to get rid of my PC because I still use it all the time. And I still want Zen 2. But if these new leaks are true, I'm not even remotely impressed. I wasn't hoping for a 2080Ti beater or even a 2080 beater. I was hoping for 2060-2070 performance at lower price points with a modest TDP. None of those things look possible at this point.

BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 21-05-19, 09:50 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm getting one of the new consoles. Heck I will probably get both if they are around the £500 mark. The amount of money I've saved on GPUs since June 2017 will easily pay for both.

Old 21-05-19, 10:53 AM
OC3D Crew

Roll on next year when team blue get in. I hope they give both sides the kick that they both need though being Intel they will probably price these well above the competition and have no positive impact on the GPU market
Old 21-05-19, 11:11 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Mark, are you sure the XT is supposed to compete against the 2080? Other posts from the same report say it's the 2070. How is it supposed to compete against the 2080 while Radeon VII does that and remains their flagship?

Pretty much I'm on board with this too. If the new consoles can incorporate proper mouse and keyboard control, I'm done with PC gaming as an enthusiast. I don't intend to get rid of my PC because I still use it all the time. And I still want Zen 2. But if these new leaks are true, I'm not even remotely impressed. I wasn't hoping for a 2080Ti beater or even a 2080 beater. I was hoping for 2060-2070 performance at lower price points with a modest TDP. None of those things look possible at this point.

It competes with the 2070, at least according to the rumours. I'll re-read everything and make sure that's clear. Could be a 2070/2080 typo there. Thanks.
Old 21-05-19, 11:29 AM
OC3D Crew

I wouldn't take what a drunk rep says as gospel, need to wait and see what gos on at computex.
Oh and buying a nextgen console wtf? who are you guys?
Old 21-05-19, 11:36 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
It competes with the 2070, at least according to the rumours. I'll re-read everything and make sure that's clear. Could be a 2070/2080 typo there. Thanks.
It ought to given the price.

The worst part of all will be the $ to perf, though. It's the same crap it's been for two years.

And I'll bet now it's hot and loud and overclocks none. It has to be that way with NVIDIA being so far out ahead.

That's almost new console money I reckon and I know what will be more fun and get more exclusives.

I'm seriously impressed with my PS4. And that's just a vanilla one. Every time I use my consoles I'm reminded what a total plank I've been to sink £3g into my P.C.

Then again not using it much has saved me £25pm which is not to be sniffed at!

Old 21-05-19, 11:43 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It ought to given the price.

The worst part of all will be the $ to perf, though. It's the same crap it's been for two years.

And I'll bet now it's hot and loud and overclocks none. It has to be that way with NVIDIA being so far out ahead.

That's almost new console money I reckon and I know what will be more fun and get more exclusives.

I'm seriously impressed with my PS4. And that's just a vanilla one. Every time I use my consoles I'm reminded what a total plank I've been to sink £3g into my P.C.

Then again not using it much has saved me £25pm which is not to be sniffed at!
We will need to see the card's performance before we can properly comment in that. Vague "similar to" or "better than" statements aren't much to go on. It really depends what games are being compared.

Having played a lot of recent games with the RTX 2060, it is consistently getting similar performance to the GTX 1080, or higher, leaving the GTX 1070 in the dust. The RTX 2060 offers a great value proposition compared to last year's cards at the same price point. Then there are the game that simple love Turing, with Rage 2 being a prime example. That said, RAGE 2 loves the RX Vega 56 as well.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...mance_review/1

I am very much looking forward to seeing AMD's architectural summary of Navi. AMD has been very quiet about it, which can be a good or bad thing. They need to address GCN's shortcomings.
Old 21-05-19, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperman View Post
I wouldn't take what a drunk rep says as gospel, need to wait and see what gos on at computex.
Oh and buying a nextgen console wtf? who are you guys?
No problem at all with playing on my Xbox X over my PC. The X looks just as good at 4k as my GTX 1070 at 1440p and the console costs me less than the graphic card did let alone the rest of my setup.

My PC cost more than my 55" 4k tv + Xbox X + a spare controller + the entertainment stand it all sits on/by. So why would I ever sink MORE money into my pc, especially when the same games (for the most part) are on the xbox and look just as good.

Not to mention I get everything for half off since my brother and I gold share so if one of us buys something on the xbox the other gets it for free (we just pay the other person half of what it cost or buy the next game we want).

I'll trade my xbox X in for the next gen xbox if its worth it, if it is minimal differences then meh lol.

In short - nothing wrong with PC gaming, nothing wrong with console gaming. When a GPU that is able to do 1440p costs more or the same as a console that can upscale to 4k and look just as good... why would you ever go for a single PC component? makes no sense.

To each their own, that's how I view it. You do what you want, the rest of us will do ours.
Old 21-05-19, 01:39 PM

If these prices are true, I will skip Navi. It's nonsense spending $500 when Nvidia will probably launch a 2070ti to replace the 2070. I will wait until next year, if Navi top one drops to 300-350 €, I will go for it, if not, they will already be launching next-gen GPUs.
Old 21-05-19, 02:04 PM
News Guru

TBH I can see a lot of effort going into Faux-K (fake 4K) solutions moving forward. As it stands, today's hardware isn't good enough for 4K and upscaling techniques have the potential to create an image that's more than good enough for gamers.

You can bet that the next PlayStation will have some upscaling secret sauce. The PS4 Pro had some, but now Sony has had enough time to get to grips with how the technique should work and how to get it to deliver better levels of image quality over a wider range of games.

PC-wise, its hard to know how well things will catch on, but as it stands who has over £1000 lying around for just a GPU? Even then an RTX 2080 Ti isn't enough for 4K 60 in a lot of games.

The future will have a lot of "fake it" solutions and assuming it looks good that's ok.