Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Well, most of the money and marketshare is sub-£250, high end to most non-enthusiast people is a £300 GPU, Raja knows this better than anyone since this is where GCN was always targeted, Tahiti and Polaris were arguably GCN at its best.

Intel would already have their work cut out for them scaling Gen11 up that far, and we already know the dGPU parts are a kind of jack-of-all-trades arch like Vega, I think it will be positioned as a kind of prosumer card personally.

Even NVidia are taking the approach of big not-so-gaming optimised compute heavy dies now with Turing. Pascal's approach was great for (price or die size)/perf but only for what we currently/used to consider traditional graphics pipelines, leaving more of the optimisation to the software side of things like with GCN/Turing is exactly what Intel tried to do with Larrabee(And Itanium) and it's been their approach with CPUs for decades but is only really viable recently with more diverse and optimised and increasingly complex and organic software stacks.

This is why Larrabee was technically the first DX12 card.

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
Old N Gold

I don't think Intel will aim for the high-end. I would say they need to build a foundation of costumers before jumping aboard the enthusiast-train, and that will mean laptops, midrange semi-custom builds, and budget pre-built systems. AMD already have a hard time converting convincing enthusiasts to buy their products and they've been at it for years. Even if Intel were competitive, I think people will still favour Nvidia or even AMD. But if they start small and work their way up over the period of a decade, I'd say that they could easily be ready to take on the high-end market later in the 2020's.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I don't think Intel will aim for the high-end. I would say they need to build a foundation of costumers before jumping aboard the enthusiast-train, and that will mean laptops, midrange semi-custom builds, and budget pre-built systems. AMD already have a hard time converting convincing enthusiasts to buy their products and they've been at it for years. Even if Intel were competitive, I think people will still favour Nvidia or even AMD. But if they start small and work their way up over the period of a decade, I'd say that they could easily be ready to take on the high-end market later in the 2020's.
Not a dig at you. But it is amusing how many english speaking people on this forum are mixing up customers with costumers.

However you could be right. Build the clientele, get their support and confidence, and then push the R&D up a notch to expand the market segment capitalisation. It does make sense.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Not a dig at you. But it is amusing how many english speaking people on this forum are mixing up customers with costumers.

However you could be right. Build the clientele, get their support and confidence, and then push the R&D up a notch to expand the market segment capitalisation. It does make sense.
Hah! I didn't even notice, but you're right.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX