Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 30-01-18, 09:33 PM

Deciding between PG348Q or MX348Q

I just need a bit of help deciding between these two monitors. I had my heart set on the former first as I’m getting an Nvidia card, but the temptation of saving some money on the latter and sacrificing on G-Sync is tempting.

I know the FreeSync features won’t work but will screen tearing be a major issue, and could someone explain in simple terms what Fast Sync is and whether it would help with tearing as an alternative?

Old 31-01-18, 01:10 AM
OC3D Elite

I wouldn't personally take either of them... I've tried 3 different PG348Q's and for the price that you pay, their QC is absolutely terrible. You can also ask Dicehunter who tried 7 different monitors as they were all faulty (wasn't the PG348Q though, but an ROG monitor nonetheless).

Plus they have massive back light bleed. Enough to make me not want it, since if you pay £1200 for it, it better be damn perfect.

So my recommendation is not to buy it at all, due to massive backlight bleeding and bad QC all around. Plus, the way it's packaged and the packing material is literally crap.

It is the only monitor I've ordered that has hard, thin, foam. Rather than soft one. You have to be extremely careful taking it out of the packaging (which they also made it completely retarded), as there's basically nowhere to grab and if you grab slightly too hard, it will crack.

Overall, I wished it was better, but I was surely dissapointed in that monitor... Especially considering it's one of the most expensive monitors on the market.

At the end of the day, it's your own money etc, I just give you my own experience with it, so that you know how someone else have experienced it.
Old 31-01-18, 08:47 AM
OC3D Elite

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325...tion-review/13

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 31-01-18, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
I wouldn't personally take either of them... I've tried 3 different PG348Q's and for the price that you pay, their QC is absolutely terrible. You can also ask Dicehunter who tried 7 different monitors as they were all faulty (wasn't the PG348Q though, but an ROG monitor nonetheless).

Plus they have massive back light bleed. Enough to make me not want it, since if you pay £1200 for it, it better be damn perfect.

So my recommendation is not to buy it at all, due to massive backlight bleeding and bad QC all around. Plus, the way it's packaged and the packing material is literally crap.

It is the only monitor I've ordered that has hard, thin, foam. Rather than soft one. You have to be extremely careful taking it out of the packaging (which they also made it completely retarded), as there's basically nowhere to grab and if you grab slightly too hard, it will crack.

Overall, I wished it was better, but I was surely dissapointed in that monitor... Especially considering it's one of the most expensive monitors on the market.

At the end of the day, it's your own money etc, I just give you my own experience with it, so that you know how someone else have experienced it.
If you don’t recommend those two, do you have any other recommendations for me? I was going to take the plunge with an ultrawide but I’m open to other monitor ideas.
Old 31-01-18, 09:47 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Dell make good ultrawide's. U3415W and U3417W. 3440x1440p at 60hz. No GSync though.

Depending on your GPU you might not even have the grunt to hit a steady 60hz at this resouliton anyway. You'd need at least a 1080ti for that. If you have a 1080ti then I recommend just getting the one you really want. No sense in wasting the GPUs performance.
Old 01-02-18, 11:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Dell make good ultrawide's. U3415W and U3417W. 3440x1440p at 60hz. No GSync though.

Depending on your GPU you might not even have the grunt to hit a steady 60hz at this resouliton anyway. You'd need at least a 1080ti for that. If you have a 1080ti then I recommend just getting the one you really want. No sense in wasting the GPUs performance.
Or Dell Alienware 34: AW3418DW

@NBD - The highligted text, what do you mean by it?...
Old 01-02-18, 11:33 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post

This always makes me laugh. All IPS have back light bleed, its just the way they work, its also worth noting Asus dont make their own panels either and people dont moan about the panels in the other screens they are fitted to . The screens are epic. Ive got 4 PG279's on my desk and a 348 on my racing rig. The 348 was actually a return because of BLB but its fine. Youll never notice it apart from when the screen first turns on.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 01-02-18, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
This always makes me laugh. All IPS have back light bleed, its just the way they work, its also worth noting Asus dont make their own panels either and people dont moan about the panels in the other screens they are fitted to . The screens are epic. Ive got 4 PG279's on my desk and a 348 on my racing rig. The 348 was actually a return because of BLB but its fine. Youll never notice it apart from when the screen first turns on.
True, but then the BLB can vary in size/mass from monitor to monitor. And I noticed it whenever I had a dark bakground on or mostly when watching Youtube, in the bottom corners.
Old 01-02-18, 01:59 PM
OC3D Elite

well I use PG348Q and Im not comepletley satisfied with it. But thats only because of the refresh rate. Overclocking the monitor to reach 100hz doesnt feel ideal for me.

quality wise, the screen is very good. Never noticed BLB on it. Stand is horrendously oversized but I replaced it long ago. It's serving my needs well enough however and I do like gamut.
Old 01-02-18, 02:06 PM
OC3D Elite

You can actually fix some of the BLB on a monitor with a credit card or spreader. You need to be pretty brave though

If you don't like what I post don't read it.